• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Luis Diaz - Joins Liverpool from Porto

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Liverpool sign Luis Diaz: Comparisons with Luis Figo and malnutrition concerns

He has since experienced life in Europe - having spent three years with Porto - but aged 18 had never left his own country, despite being raised next to the border with Venezuela in north-eastern Colombia.

His first experience of travelling abroad came in mid-2015, when the young winger was called up to represent his country at the Copa America of Indigenous People.

As a member of the Wayuu - the largest indigenous community in Colombia - he could not have been more excited after impressing local legend Carlos Valderrama.

"The competition would be held in Chile so we took a five-hour flight there and you could see his eyes light up with that experience," former Colombia international John 'Pocillo' Diaz, who coached that side, told BBC Sport.

"Lucho would ask us if he could have the same meal more than once. He was this humble."

Though that has not changed, one thing certainly has - Diaz has made many other trips.

And now he will journey to Liverpool, signing for an initial £37.5m, having enjoyed the best six months of his career.

Diaz was unstoppable during last summer's Copa America, finding the net against the likes of Brazil and Argentina and finishing the tournament as joint top scorer alongside Lionel Messi.

He has followed that with 14 goals in 18 league appearances for Porto this season, as well as scoring home and away against AC Milan in the Champions League.

FULL REPORT

29 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I’ve been vocal about FSG not strengthening the squad properly so fair play to them for this, much needed signing.

Yeah same, good to see us make signings backing the manager that ended the title drought.

Klopp has said endless times that money has always been available. He just preferes to wait until the right player becomes available for a position he wants to strengthen. 

I don't recall FSG ever denying Klopp transfer funds? In fact I don't recall FSG ever denying LFC anything, be it stadium expansion, total revamp of the training facilities etc etc? 

Anyway, looks like another great addition to the squad giving us Firmino, Mane, Jota, Diaz and Salah to choose from for the 3 attacking positions. 👏 

14 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp has said endless times that money has always been available. He just preferes to wait until the right player becomes available for a position he wants to strengthen. 

I don't recall FSG ever denying Klopp transfer funds? In fact I don't recall FSG ever denying LFC anything, be it stadium expansion, total revamp of the training facilities etc etc? 

Anyway, looks like another great addition to the squad giving us Firmino, Mane, Jota, Diaz and Salah to choose from for the 3 attacking positions. 👏 

There's never been any evidence of Klopp being unhappy with what Liverpool do in the transfer market. Plenty of evidence that that he's happy though. Also plenty of evidence of him and Edwards acting when the player at the top of their list is available.

FSG are cunts for a number of things they've done since they took over. The way the club has operated in the transfer market since Klopp came in isn't one of them.

Archived