Leeds vs Norwich, 14.00
Southampton vs Watford, 14.00
West Ham vs Aston Villa, 14.00

Wednesday 16th March, 2022
Brighton vs Tottenham, 19.30

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to always feel every set of games is huge, but the run of matches ahead for Villa, against 6 of the top 8 really could be hugely significant. Not just where they finish this season. But does Coutinho sign up permanent? Do the likes of Martinez, McGinn & others stay on? Who can they add in over the summer? Many significant things could be influenced by how they go against West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool & Leicester and where they are in the table after. Will be tough to keep a 3 match win streak going, but Villa do have ambitions to be heading into a run of matches like this with the opposition braced for tough games, not expecting 3 easy points.

And massive home games for Everton & Leeds.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fairly even game so far but we are edging it a bit, still neither side has created anything 

Relying on you for updates because Merson is doing your game on Soccer Saturday and he's absolutely useless. Starts off about an exciting attack, then will pause, and then all of a sudden the attack is over but you have no idea why xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Relying on you for updates because Merson is doing your game on Soccer Saturday and he's absolutely useless. Starts off about an exciting attack, then will pause, and then all of a sudden the attack is over but you have no idea why xD

Unfortunately I nearly got scammed today so spent the game on hold to the bank, so no updates mid game.

The game was very scrappy and didn’t have a lot of clear cut chances. We had two chances first half that we could have scored from, they hit the woodwork from distance with what would have been a wonder goal. They also went 1 on 1 with Raya after a Henry mistake but Raya saved, they should have scored that.

We took the lead from an Eriksen left footed cross from the left, landed straight on Toney‘s head and easy finish. Toney then won a penalty late on and scored as per.

Very easily could have swung the other way with them scoring the goals and not us, but ultimately I’d say we deserved to win based on the chances altogether.

Burnley played reasonably well without being great while I was watching for a 25min spell.

It was close until the first goal.

Rodrgiuez came on around 66mins and hit a 40 yard strike that rattled the crossbar yet it was Burnley that scored first courtesy of a great cross from Eriksen for Toney to convert.

Keep hearing Burnley are missing Ben Mee.

• Administrator

Huge win for you @Danny. Glad for you as I hope Brentford stay up. Plenty (not just on here) said or think you would go down. I think you'll survive. Got enough about you and Eriksen seems to have settled in quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Huge win for you @Danny. Glad for you as I hope Brentford stay up. Plenty (not just on here) said or think you would go down. I think you'll survive. Got enough about you and Eriksen seems to have settled in quickly. 

Was a massive win today, really needed it, means survival is in our hands now more than ever. I don’t think we’re out of the woods just yet, too many games left to rule it out. But we do have quality and when we get a run going we can be difficult to beat. It’s one thing people overlook when talking about us, we don’t generally stay in a poor run in the way Norwich and Watford have done. Frank believes in creating a system for the players to perform in and whilst it can work against us when we’re not performing and teams take advantage of that…when we get that win and some confidence under our belts we then build stronger and put a good run of games together. Feels like we’re in that period of a good run now but let’s see what happens.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Does Lampard have anything against Calvert-Lewin? Not even in the squad for today. Or is he injured?

Virus. Lampard seems to like him a lot, he's started every time he's been available despite not really offering anything since returning from injury.

To be honest I'd rather have seen this front three today anyway. Calvert-Lewin has been way off the pace in recent weeks.

• Subscriber

Kenny sent off. Leeds and Watford still leading. We could be on for 19th place here.

This lot deserve to get relegated with vanishingly few exceptions. Moshiri and Kenwright most of all. We've been on this path since the pair of them came into partnership, worse every season almost without exception with it taking a manager of Carlo Ancelotti's calibre just to slow it down for 18 months.

I wish I could just switch it off and not care. These players and the decision makers at this club deserve absolutely fuck all from us. Won two league games since about 2018 and the fans won both of them for the team.

If we don't beat Newcastle on Thursday we're as good as finished. This squad doesn't have a fraction of the mentality needed to drag themselves back from another run like that would make.

The one last twisting of logic you could apply today is that the players might just realise they can't rely on the fans to drag them through enough home results for survival and they're actually going to have to pull their fingers out themselves.

But as a club, we deserve what we get. Too bad for the fans who deserve so much better.

Something sadly near inevitable about Villa losing to West Ham. At least not nilled or embarrassed. But worries for what a few other sides may do to this work-in-progress Villa rebuild over the next few weeks.

I fear for Everton fans. I remember Big Dunc saving them a few times in similar situations. It does look like 3 from bottom 4. If I were Everton manager, I can imagine wanting Dele Alli behind DCL with Richarlison going wherever he pleases. A good few weeks ago. But that's probably the Brazilian blood I don't have.

2 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

Kenny sent off. Leeds and Watford still leading. We could be on for 19th place here.

This lot deserve to get relegated with vanishingly few exceptions. Moshiri and Kenwright most of all. We've been on this path since the pair of them came into partnership, worse every season almost without exception with it taking a manager of Carlo Ancelotti's calibre just to slow it down for 18 months.

I wish I could just switch it off and not care. These players and the decision makers at this club deserve absolutely fuck all from us. Won two league games since about 2018 and the fans won both of them for the team.

If we don't beat Newcastle on Thursday we're as good as finished. This squad doesn't have a fraction of the mentality needed to drag themselves back from another run like that would make.

The one last twisting of logic you could apply today is that the players might just realise they can't rely on the fans to drag them through enough home results for survival and they're actually going to have to pull their fingers out themselves.

But as a club, we deserve what we get. Too bad for the fans who deserve so much better.

I'm a bit surprised you're thinking this way given just a couple days ago on The Relegation run in thread you seemed pretty composed there was enough time left to still get out of it, especially with the postponed fixtures you mentioned some people had overlooked that hadn't been rearranged yet.

I'd understand it more on an emotive level mind.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm a bit surprised you're thinking this way given just a couple days ago on The Relegation run in thread you seemed pretty composed there was enough time left to still get out of it, especially with the postponed fixtures you mentioned some people had overlooked that hadn't been rearranged yet.

I'd understand it more on an emotive level mind.

Again, I typed a factual statement about the three games in hand that were yet to be rearranged. Because multiple people decided to infer something that I hadn't said about that meaning we'll be fine, I even clarified explicitly that I'm not making any predictions about this team. Still, people have to read things that very clearly haven't been typed out because they want the chance to shout "gotcha" later on but this is the Internet so I accept that comes with the territory.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Again, I typed a factual statement about the three games in hand that were yet to be rearranged. Because multiple people decided to infer something that I hadn't said about that meaning we'll be fine, I even clarified explicitly that I'm not making any predictions about this team. Still, people have to read things that very clearly haven't been typed out because they want the chance to shout "gotcha" later on but this is the Internet so I accept that comes with the territory.

My point isn't to catch you out or anything like that, more curiosity that whilst you recognised the threat of relegation, you still seemed composed enough to know there was every chance to escape.

And a couple days later, you're talking like Newcastle home defines whats left of the season, a little bit defeated, when I'd say that's a tad over reactive, plenty of Football left.

Just seems today is more of an emotive response to the Wolves defeat.

27 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Go for a walk lad. All those tweets from big Red banter accounts who've never set foot on Merseyside will still be there when you get home. 

Soz, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to have a laugh at a rival being in such a position. 

I'm quite happy sat here flicking through the 'big red banter accounts' though, thanks👍

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

Soz, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to have a laugh at a rival being in such a position. 

I'm quite happy sat here flicking through the 'big red banter accounts' though, thanks👍

Didn't say you weren't allowed. Just having a pop back. Try not to be so precious love.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

My point isn't to catch you out or anything like that, more curiosity that whilst you recognised the threat of relegation, you still seemed composed enough to know there was every chance to escape.

And a couple days later, you're talking like Newcastle home defines whats left of the season, a little bit defeated, when I'd say that's a tad over reactive, plenty of Football left.

Just seems today is more of an emotive response to the Wolves defeat.

Maybe I just don't care enough. Moshiri's time at the club has already more or less ripped away all of the things that made me identify with and feel pride in the club growing up. Relegation isn't really worse compared to that.

I can analyse it objectively though. You can shrug at the away defeats and losing to City if you can win a few home games. You start saying well Wolves are in the top half, there's other games. How low do we want to pull the bar down? This lot can't score, can't defend, have one away win all season. Start losing at home to Wolves and Newcastle, that's curtains. I know this team too well to believe they can shithouse it out. They don't even seem to think they're in a relegation scrap yet so they can't flail their way to desperate wins like you've seen Watford do today. Wherever you look at the moment, there really isn't any objective cause for optimism other than "maybe we'll be fine". Our best hope is that by the time we play the likes of Leicester, Palace and Brentford they'll have little enough to play for that they can actually manage to be less up for it than us.

I have no enthusiasm for us staying up either because then next season comes along and nine more months of torture and disappointment with it.

Archived