The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 29 Matches - 12-16th March, 2022

football forums

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There's a real sense of entitlement around Everton, that just because they've been in the league longer than a West Brom or a Southampton that they're too good for all this. NGL the closer they get to hell the more i'd like to see them drop. 

Certainly looks that way from the way the players are performing. There is enough quality in there not to be in this position and that's because of the players, not the badge, but they're giving off a vibe that they don't need to get down in the mud like Watford and Norwich to get results because they've got a bit more quality.

It's not good enough. Never would have happened with any of the teams Moyes oversaw, for example. Those teams would leave every game and you'd never question whether they were arsed regardless of whether they were 4th or 17th in the table. There are players on that pitch today who have had that question asked of them for 5+ years. What are they still doing out there wearing the shirt?

As I've said, many of them deserve to get relegated. So do the board. I've looked at relegation battles from the outside before and cherry picked teams that I wouldn't be sad about going because they don't offer much to the league. Well that's us now as well if you look at it from a neutral perspective.

What I will say is that I don't know whether you're including the fanbase in your entitlement comment but if so, that's wide of the mark. Of course the expectations are higher than this, but that's not entitlement. I don't think any Everton fans now think that this relegation battle is just some phase that we'll muddle our way out of. The view may be that the quality is there and even if I take my bias out of it, these players despite my frustrations haven't finished lower than 11th in their time at the club and managed to score over 60 points last season. Digne, Rodriguez and Sigurdsson are removed from that team, it shouldn't half our points tally. But none of that matters if this lot don't find something soon. The league table won't lie when the season is over.

I think it’s fair that some Everton fans might have a higher expectation of themselves than relegation considering that they were pretty much a similar sized club to Arsenal before Wenger took over. Obviously that was a long time ago and you have to readjust your expectations but there is potential for the club to build and get back to being a consistent threat in the top 6.

Southampton are such an up and down club. Watching the highlights vs Watford and how they capitulated is terrible. Watford should barely have been 1-0 up let alone 2. The first goal was terrible defending, one of the worst mistakes you can make on a football pitch. The second was a combination of two bad tackles in the build up and then poor positioning when the ball came into the box. Watford have barely attacked Saints and yet found themselves 2-0 up.

Ward-Prowse really is a shining light in an inconsistent team, Saints in the first half had about 2 clear cut chances that Ward-Prowse was key to both. A key pass and what would have been an assist, on top of that his possession game is quality but he’s surrounded by players who keep giving the ball away.

Apparently his contract is up in 2026 which is good news for Saints because I’m not sure anyone will pay the £80m or so that it would cost to buy him with that contract in place. He’d be a good buy for someone like Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs…teams pushing for top 4.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived