talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wales vs Ukraine - WC Playoff Final - Sunday 5th June, 2022

football forum

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar to what I mentioned to @Stan and @Dan when Leicester's chairman died in the helicopter crash and Cardiff were the next league opponents, Ukraine will have all the respect in the world before and after the match.

However, from the moment the first whistle is blown until the final whistle, that respect (footballing wise) is on hold as I want nothing more than to see Wales reach the World Cup after 64 years. I expect us to be the underdogs in this despite home advantage, but that's usually how we tend to surprise people.

Hopefully this comes across correctly to others rather than me sounding like an asshole (wording has never been my strong point).

Again, good luck @Michael and may the best team win.

• Subscriber

You worded it fine. If teams start rolling over for them it becomes almost disrespectful to be honest and undermines any of the achievement anyway.

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Similar to what I mentioned to @Stan and @Dan when Leicester's chairman died in the helicopter crash and Cardiff were the next league opponents, Ukraine will have all the respect in the world before and after the match.

However, from the moment the first whistle is blown until the final whistle, that respect (footballing wise) is on hold as I want nothing more than to see Wales reach the World Cup after 64 years. I expect us to be the underdogs in this despite home advantage, but that's usually how we tend to surprise people.

Hopefully this comes across correctly to others rather than me sounding like an asshole (wording has never been my strong point).

Again, good luck @Michael and may the best team win.

Sounds okay to me.  There is a lot of sympathy for Ukraine, but you have to go with your roots.  My dad's family came to England from Wales hundreds of years ago and I will be pulling for Wales tomorrow.

• The title was changed to Wales vs Ukraine - WC Playoff Final - Sunday 5th June, 2022
  • The topic was pinned

Well I've bought my ticket for the match and will be heading for Cardiff tomorrow morning with a couple of mates. This promises to be a cracker and by the end of it, we will find out who the final European team at the World Cup will be. The fact that the winner of this match will be in England's World Cup group, makes it even more interesting.

The likely line-up for Wales is probably the following:

FORMATION: 3-4-3

Goalkeeper: Danny Ward

Defenders: Ethan Ampadu, Joe Rodon, Ben Davies

Midfield: Connor Roberts, Aaron Ramsey, Joe Allen, Harry Wilson, Neco Williams

Forwards: Gareth Bale, Daniel James

Ukraine's starting line-up is likely the following:

FORMATION: 4-5-1

Goalkeeper: Heorhiy Bushchan

Defenders: Oleksandr Karavayev, Illya Zabarnyi, Mykola Matviyenko, Vitaliy Mykolenko

Midfield: Andriy Yarmolenko, Ruslan Malinovskyi, Taras Stepanenko, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Viktor Tsyhankov

Forward: Roman Yaremchuk

Wales as hosts will have the crowd behind them and they will hope that the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey and Daniel James can inspire them to victory and a long awaited place at the World Cup. A great performance by the world class Bale, helped Wales secure a 2-1 win over Austria in the semi-finals of the play-off World Cup qualifiers. The Welsh won that match quite convincingly and they will be hoping they can come up with another big performance against the Ukrainians. 

Ukraine on the other hand defeated Scotland 3-1 in Glasgow a few days ago, in a game they dominated for the most part. Yarmolenko, Yaremchuk and the sub Dovbyk were the scorers. But really, it was Ukraine's central midfield of Malinovskyi, Stepanenko and Zinchenko that played so well. Their passing was crisp, their work rate was excellent and they held possession very well. Yarmolenko was as usual at his inspirational best and Yaremchuk as always led the forward line superbly. Although the substitute Dovbyk scored and final goal that seasled the match against the Scots, it was the other sub Mudryk who looked amazing with his running, dribbling and passing ability. Although the slightly more experienced Tsyhankov is likely to again start ahead of him, Mudryk will once again be a trump card that Ukraine can bring on against the Welsh. The on disappointing performance for Ukraine against the Scots came from their keeper Bushchan. Many Ukrainians will probably hope that the Real Madrid keeper Lunin starts ahead of him against Wales, but the Ukrainian manager is likely to stick with the more experienced Bushchan.

All in all, it should be another exciting match. I personally think that Ukraine will find this a tougher match then their game against the Scots. However, I still think Ukraine will edge this game and I'll predict a 2-1 win for Ukraine. But may the best team win and I hope that we have another thrilling match of football in Cardiff tomorrow. 

• Administrator
Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tad naughty there from Allen.

Dan James bagging himself an unnecessary booking as well for dissent. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Surprised this game isn't at Millennium Stadium. Huge for Wales! 

Hope the game lives up to the atmosphere created. 

Could have done, but we've played all our games at the Cardiff City Stadium and you could argue that a more compact stadium will give more of an atmosphere and lift.

Also, a little lucky that Ukraine had a goal disallowed there. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Could have done, but we've played all our games at the Cardiff City Stadium and you could argue that a more compact stadium will give more of an atmosphere and lift.

Also, a little lucky that Ukraine had a goal disallowed there. 

Always thought Millennium is compact enough to give a decent atmosphere. It's one thing that I like about Scottish and Welsh fans - almost always generate a quality vibe in the place, the national anthems really get the juices flowing. 

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Oh ffs, I missed that. Stupid bastard (James, not you).

Yeah, especially so early too. Hope it doesn't backfire later in the game. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Always thought Millennium is compact enough to give a decent atmosphere. It's one thing that I like about Scottish and Welsh fans - almost always generate a quality vibe in the place, the national anthems really get the juices flowing. 

Yeah, especially so early too. Hope it doesn't backfire later in the game. 

True. I like the Millennium Stadium, though do think that this game should be at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Tbf, I'd happily takes James off now for Brennan Johnson. I think it was @Danny that said James is a pace merchant and nothing more.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived