talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 3 Fixtures - 20-21st August, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber

On the silly yoyo debate there are currently only really 4 and they are Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth and Fulham. When you spend 10 years outside the Premier League then play 9 years in a row in it, you aren't really yoyo.

---

As for what really matters. It really is hard to know where to start with us now. I think we're really in danger of having a season like Everton did last year - and I'm not convinced this lot have the same fight to get themselves out of it. They might discover it within them if things get genuinely precarious but the direction of travel is actually quite worrying to me at this point. It's beyond thinking we've pissed a top 4 chance up the wall but it's more that we really are sleepwalking into a relegation battle. We could be bottom of the league on Monday and we've played Brentford and Southampton at home. That's as bad a start as I can remember from us.

The majority of our games in the last year weren't actually all that dissimilar to today. I think we've taken the mental weakness up further a notch and we're clearly absolutely shot to bits to a point there's zero belief to see a game out. Even when we scored today we just dropped unbelievably deep. There was a point not all that long ago that we'd have pushed and probably got 2/3 against a very inexperienced Southampton side. But we just stood off and waited for the inevitable collapse.

Brentford at home. 2-0 up. Bottled.

Arsenal away. 2-0 down, brought back to 2-1, conceded within a minute. Brought back to 3-2, conceded within a minute AGAIN.

Southampton at home. 1-0 up. Lost.

It's absolutely disgraceful. It's indefensible. If Fulham or Bournemouth produced that they would be getting written off as heading off back to the Championship and there wouldn't be too many arguments.

Rodgers is obviously finished here. There is absolutely no way on this planet he turns this round. Suit all parties and wish him good luck. It's getting sour now. He isn't liked by the fans (which is mental when you think what's actually happened under him and yet it's true, and that isn't by accident) and I don't think he's too keen on the fans himself. We've been playing appalling football for ages now. We are time and time again having dreadful displays patched over by a Maddison wondergoal or a defensive howler gifting us a chance rather than any cohesive football that opens up the oppposition. There's only so long you can sustain it.

This is before you even get onto the players. Our number of players who I think you can rely on to pull us through these tricky times are dwindling. Fofana's done here. Tielemans looks similar. Schmeichel has gone. Soyuncu isn't going to play again under this manager.

We're relegation candidates for me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I don't understand how it's got so bad for Leicester.

We've been awful since about February 2021. FA Cup win largely papered over cracks if you're judging solely off performances, last season finishing 8th was a huge hoodwink. We should've been about where you were performance wise.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The lack of investment is the problem,  the question is why

We had our highest net spend ever last summer and not a single player brought in started for us today. The recruitment has been appalling. We've deviated from how we did things before which was to make one big sale and spend the proceeds. No surprise that once we stop a) selling a key player and b) buying good ones we go to shit.

The whole thing just stinks.

Not that I'm biting, but FWIW, I suspect Villa's 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 league cups & 1 European Cup. Admittedly a large portion dating back to the 19th century & early 20th. And with 31 of the last 34 years in the top flight. Surely adds up to make them more a sleeping giant or a former powerhouse, that went through a slow, protracted decline in recent decades, rather than a yo-yo club. Right now, at least.

Incidentally rather trumps Spurs 2 league titles (not added to as recently as Villa, nevermind Leicester) 8 FA Cups, 4 league cups & 1 cup winners cup. When you take into account full history & so on..

• Administrator
9 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The lack of investment is the problem,  the question is why

The question has been answered before. 

9 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

What goes around comes around Stan.

This makes no sense in the context of the conversation xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

The question has been answered before. 

This makes no sense in the context of the conversation xD

Yes it does Stan, it means history repeating itself and that applies all the time. I've seen the same old teams struggle time and time again since 1961 when Spurs won the double, Leicester being one of them.

3 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Not that I'm biting, but FWIW, I suspect Villa's 7 league titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 league cups & 1 European Cup. Admittedly a large portion dating back to the 19th century & early 20th. And with 31 of the last 34 years in the top flight. Surely adds up to make them more a sleeping giant or a former powerhouse, that went through a slow, protracted decline in recent decades, rather than a yo-yo club. Right now, at least.

Incidentally rather trumps Spurs 2 league titles (not added to as recently as Villa, nevermind Leicester) 8 FA Cups, 4 league cups & 1 cup winners cup. When you take into account full history & so on..

There's nothing to bite, I'm NOT provoking a reaction RS. I don't see why you've brought Villa's record compared to Spurs' into this conversation. Just because Villa have a better record than Spurs doesn't preclude me from commenting does it? I remember Villa being relegated more times than Spurs but that's totally irrelevant.

Leicester, over the decades is a club I have seen relegated a few times. I've seen it struggle to survive and I've seen it win cups and now the PL. At the moment it's a struggling club which may lose its best players, I'm not gloating, it's not my nature but I've seen this all before. Also no, I don't particularly want to see Leicester relegated any more than any other club. I've been there and wouldn't wish it on anyone

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Yes it does Stan, it means history repeating itself and that applies all the time. I've seen the same old teams struggle time and time again since 1961 when Spurs won the double, Leicester being one of them.

It's such a different time though. 

You keep living in the past and talking about the 60s. I'll carry on living in the present with the knowledge and understanding that my club is not a yo-yo club :)

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm honestly surprised people have been replying to guff about the 1960s being relevant to modern football for this long.

The only time I've mentioned the sixties is to state that it was then I started to support Spurs. All I'm claiming is, history repeats itself..........that's all.

• Subscriber

Bournemouth are the only side I'm confident will drop. Even Fulham already I think look better this time around.

Leicester, Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham all making absolutely dreadful starts.

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Dan said:

Bournemouth are the only side I'm confident will drop. Even Fulham already I think look better this time around.

Leicester, Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham all making absolutely dreadful starts.

I'm not confident for the next 6 games either. And that's worrying for even someone like me xD 

Chelsea A
Man Utd H
Brighton A
Villa H
Spurs A
Forest H

The only games I can envisage getting any points is Man Utd and Villa at home. Even then I'm barely confident of those. We're not winning any of those away, not a chance.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived