talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The first Internet search engine you used?

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Teach me how to navigate via the stars and I'll do it.

Finding the four cardinal directions is easy, just look for the Big Dipper. The two outer stars in its "cup" opposite its handle point to Polaris. So basically you just have to draw a visual straight line between those two stars and continue following it until you see another star - that's Polaris, and so now you know where North is, and can thus make out the other three directions.

Actual celestial navigation on ships is hard, and every ship usually had a navigator who was trained for the job. Not every regular sailor could do it, and certainly not any random person on land. They even had navigational schools and apprenticeships for teaching the skill. I mean, traditional celestial navigation with a sextant and nautical almancs are being taught in Navy schools again, because while using technology makes it easy, there are worries of technology breaking down or even being hacked. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Fair enough but like I said there would be skills that people from past generations would be shocked we don't have like sewing for example.

Also like I said reading maps can be very difficult for some people. And most people have enough to worry about that if they struggle they aren't going to spend loads of time and effort learning it when they have a phone that can tell them the way. It's different if you find it easy 

Basic sewing is another skill that I think everyone should have... xD 

And yeah, fair enough if some people find it very difficult, I can understand that some issues like learning disabilities can make it much harder than it should be. But it's baffling to me when those without any issues are still map-illiterate. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Basic sewing is another skill that I think everyone should have... xD 

And yeah, fair enough if some people find it very difficult, I can understand that some issues like learning disabilities can make it much harder than it should be. But it's baffling to me when those without any issues are still map-illiterate. 

You don't have to have a learning disabiltiy to struggle with maps or finding your way around. 

Most people aren't map illiterate. Some may find it hard but they would have an idea. And with practise they would get better. However if you aren't doing it regularly it will be harder obviously. Like I said people have always been like that. Its not a generational thing (although I am aware you didn't say it was). People in general learn the skills they need. Obviously you are gonna get people like you who learn things that may be useful but not essential though in every generation. Easier when you  have a 400 IQ though xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You don't have to have a learning disabiltiy to struggle with maps or finding your way around. 

Most people aren't map illiterate. Some may find it hard but they would have an idea. And with practise they would get better. However if you aren't doing it regularly it will be harder obviously. Like I said people have always been like that. Its not a generational thing (although I am aware you didn't say it was). People in general learn the skills they need. Obviously you are gonna get people like you who learn things that may be useful but not essential though in every generation. Easier when you  have a 400 IQ though xD

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/jul/13/three-quarters-of-uk-adults-cant-read-a-map-heres-how-to-get-better-ordnance-survey-study 

77% of UK adults apparently are :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not sure how much I trust that article. It said 56% of people can't follow an app which I find hard to believe. Also for me map illiterate means you have no idea. Most people have at least some clue

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Not sure how much I trust that article. It said 56% of people can't follow an app which I find hard to believe. Also for me map illiterate means you have no idea. Most people have at least some clue

It was more of a joke, but you would be surprised how many people actually can't follow a map or even directions on the app, unless it directly tells them to turn left or right. I get to experience that way too often, unfortunately xD 

Just now, nudge said:

It was more of a joke, but you would be surprised how many people actually can't follow a map or even directions on the app, unless it directly tells them to turn left or right. I get to experience that way too often, unfortunately xD 

I thought I was bad xD

• Subscriber
On 14/01/2023 at 22:13, nudge said:

I saw someone in December who had a hard time getting the phone to reorient itself the right way. Tech isn't as bulletproof as we think it is.

On 14/01/2023 at 16:43, nudge said:

Most likely a generational thing in not being able to read a map these days. I remember reading somewhere that people were struggling to write as emails and documents are primarily done electronically now rather than handwritten (I know it's stating the obvious but still).

Not following directions on an app is a tad worrying mind. xD

Archived