talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hertha Berlin relegated from the Bundesliga

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After having slept a night I'll try to give my opinion without sardonicism: A club spending 374M Euros within 4 years without any recognisable sporting success is unprecedented in German, perhaps even European, football. Still, instead of exercising justified modesty, a representive of Hertha's hierachy expressed the pretension of Hertha being in the Buli in the near future, neglecting the fact Hertha isn't even guaranteed to receive a 2.Liga license, although the HSV example should show promotion to the Buli is no foregone conclusion. On top of this they even talked about building a new stadium on their annual member meeting, ignoring they managed to make the biggest losses of any Buli club in those years said almost 400M Euros were injected by Windhorst. It's a sign they lost their sense of reality, in my honest opinion. It's about time their "Big  City Club" delusions of grandeur is replaced by some factual self-awareness of being just one of several German top tiers clubs, and a remarkable successless one for their financial invetments at that. Can see them struggle in the 2.Liga, not only for their financial issues, but also for their megalomaniac self-concept. Their relegation has three facets. First of all it's well deserved for burning big money with next to no results. Second it's hilarious because of all the loudmouthed statements published by them over the years. Third it's a cautionary tale for any club thinking heavy money injections by an investor would lead to becoming a significant player automatically, and last not least it's also having a rather tragical quality seeing a club with Hertha's history possibly vanishing into to lower echolons of the football pyramide.

On 20/05/2023 at 11:52, Tommy said:

I just feel sorry for Dardai. I hope he gets out of that toxic relationship eventually. xD

He seems to really love that club and they have given him a decent career.  Nothing wrong with that really.

On 21/05/2023 at 06:57, Rucksackfranzose said:

After having slept a night I'll try to give my opinion without sardonicism: A club spending 374M Euros within 4 years without any recognisable sporting success is unprecedented in German, perhaps even European, football. Still, instead of exercising justified modesty, a representive of Hertha's hierachy expressed the pretension of Hertha being in the Buli in the near future, neglecting the fact Hertha isn't even guaranteed to receive a 2.Liga license, although the HSV example should show promotion to the Buli is no foregone conclusion. On top of this they even talked about building a new stadium on their annual member meeting, ignoring they managed to make the biggest losses of any Buli club in those years said almost 400M Euros were injected by Windhorst. It's a sign they lost their sense of reality, in my honest opinion. It's about time their "Big  City Club" delusions of grandeur is replaced by some factual self-awareness of being just one of several German top tiers clubs, and a remarkable successless one for their financial invetments at that. Can see them struggle in the 2.Liga, not only for their financial issues, but also for their megalomaniac self-concept. Their relegation has three facets. First of all it's well deserved for burning big money with next to no results. Second it's hilarious because of all the loudmouthed statements published by them over the years. Third it's a cautionary tale for any club thinking heavy money injections by an investor would lead to becoming a significant player automatically, and last not least it's also having a rather tragical quality seeing a club with Hertha's history possibly vanishing into to lower echolons of the football pyramide.

I'm genuinely curious where the hell the 374m euros went?  Was it used to pay off previous debt?  I look at the squad and they certainly didn't spend it there... maybe Toussart cost a bit coming from Lyon but who else is there that was worth a significant wedge?  If that's 374m in players on the pitch (maybe some out on loan?) then put me in charge... I could've kept them up with that money.

36 minutes ago, Coma said:

I'm genuinely curious where the hell the 374m euros went?  Was it used to pay off previous debt?  I look at the squad and they certainly didn't spend it there... maybe Toussart cost a bit coming from Lyon but who else is there that was worth a significant wedge?  If that's 374m in players on the pitch (maybe some out on loan?) then put me in charge... I could've kept them up with that money.

To be perfectly honest, they even burned more money in this period, since they additionally issued bonds and generated a transfer surplus during that period, not to mention the governmental financial corona support they received. Well, their hobby of hiring and giving managers long contracts just to fire them within the same season might have shown to be costly, also their players were very expensive for their ability. Doesn't explain that waste in it's full extent, though.

I went back to the 19-20 season and that's where the damage was done.  25m for Toussart, 24m for Piatek, 20m for Lukebakio, 18m for Cunha, 10m for Ascacibar...that's 97m right there.  There was actually 110m spent that season with various other signings coming in.  Yikes.

Over the past 3 seasons (21-23) they have spent around 67m euros on players with the biggest purchases being Cordoba for 15m, Serdar for 8m, and Marco Richter for 7m.  They've actually made a profit during that time on player sales with a couple big names moving on (Cunha 30m & Cordoba 20m), so they have been able to recoup some of that money.  

On 27/05/2023 at 20:37, 6666 said:

Also, what's with the Hertha hate?

They self proclaimed themselves as a Big City Club, got a shady investor on board (which we generally dislike in Germany), burnt hundreds of millions of Euros for ending up where they are now. 

On 27/05/2023 at 14:37, 6666 said:

Relegated in the same season as Union get European football must suck.

Honestly the only thing that they've done wrong is just fuck up time and time again.  Considering the size of the club and their demographics (they are the biggest club in Berlin, although Tommy likes to mock it!) they should be doing much better than they do.  I see them as the Everton of Germany.

Having an outside investor sink 400m euros into the club is frowned upon (for good reason, imo) but they couldn't even reap the benefits of that.  Hamburg are a similarly sized club (maybe bigger) and are a close second when it comes to fucking up. 

4 hours ago, Coma said:

Honestly the only thing that they've done wrong is just fuck up time and time again.  Considering the size of the club and their demographics (they are the biggest club in Berlin, although Tommy likes to mock it!) they should be doing much better than they do.  I see them as the Everton of Germany.

Having an outside investor sink 400m euros into the club is frowned upon (for good reason, imo) but they couldn't even reap the benefits of that.  Hamburg are a similarly sized club (maybe bigger) and are a close second when it comes to fucking up. 

The bolded part isn't true anymore- Union have more members, meanwhile.

On 27/05/2023 at 20:37, 6666 said:

Relegated in the same season as Union get European football must suck.

Well, all these loudmouthed comments, about deserving to play European competitions, backed up by no sporting success, but only by the sheer fact they're a capital club are only the tip of the iceberg.

E.g. the only reaction to Union being promoted by Hertha BSC was a letter from Michael Preetz, telling Union Hertha were looking forward to the inevitable 6 points they would be gaining, although a)both clubs had a very active fan friendship during that time, and b) Hertha were nothing more than a Buli mid table club, than. A little more modesty can't hurt the club: Neither the board, nor the fans.

16 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The bolded part isn't true anymore- Union have more members, meanwhile.

I was basing my comments more on attendance figures.  Measuring a club by its membership is a newer concept for me.

Archived