• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Mount Joins Manchester United

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Mason Mount Joining Manchester United
47 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Now that United have Mount I suspect they will be dropping any interest in Caicedo.... 

In that case we won the battle but you won the war.

Why were not in for Caicedo is madness.

Good luck to him, he is a decent if unspectacular player and tends to have his highs and lows.. I would probably be more disappointed with this transfer if the club offered him something close to that deal and he turned it down but I reckon the club were only going to go as high as £200k  

I think he's a decent player, I just think it's a bit weird because imo (granted, I could be way off with that) he's best in the sort of role that Bruno Fernandes plays in... and I think Bruno's the better player. Good price for Chelsea considering he's got just one year left. I don't think he's worth £60m... but in a market where Rice is going for £105m, maybe he is worth that much.

16 minutes ago, Devil said:

In that case we won the battle but you won the war.

Why were not in for Caicedo is madness.

I've seen enough from enough journos that I think are fairly reliable that indicate that pretty most all of the sides with bigger aspirations in the league seem to be in for him. But I think it's a matter of Brighton not wanting to sell off another key midfielder this summer without getting a big fee for him... and other clubs not wanting to just throw a fat wad of cash at them. From what I've seen, we were interested up until Brighton told us what they wanted for him and we said "nope" - but FSG don't like to spend those kind of fees without having Barcelona buying Coutinho at an insane fee... so to be expected from us.

I suspect Brighton are waiting for the first few bids to come in to try to generate a bid war and buying clubs are hesitant to get involved with that bid war.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he's a decent player, I just think it's a bit weird because imo (granted, I could be way off with that) he's best in the sort of role that Bruno Fernandes plays in... and I think Bruno's the better player. Good price for Chelsea considering he's got just one year left. I don't think he's worth £60m... but in a market where Rice is going for £105m, maybe he is worth that much.

I've seen enough from enough journos that I think are fairly reliable that indicate that pretty most all of the sides with bigger aspirations in the league seem to be in for him. But I think it's a matter of Brighton not wanting to sell off another key midfielder this summer without getting a big fee for him... and other clubs not wanting to just throw a fat wad of cash at them. From what I've seen, we were interested up until Brighton told us what they wanted for him and we said "nope" - but FSG don't like to spend those kind of fees without having Barcelona buying Coutinho at an insane fee... so to be expected from us.

I suspect Brighton are waiting for the first few bids to come in to try to generate a bid war and buying clubs are hesitant to get involved with that bid war.

Well they are asking £100M for him which is a lot but at last count only United and us were in the running for him and if United have opted to spend £60M on Mount I can't see them chucking another £100M at him as well.. The less of a bidding war the better for us if are serious about him but then Brighton don't need to sell do they so they can stick to their guns over the fee..  

10 minutes ago, Devil said:

What I don't get is how many midfielders Chelsea are clearing. I'm sure they are down to Gallagher and Enzo now and that's it!

There has even been talk of Gallagher going.

Mate they'll spend over a hundred million pounds on a player marginally better than Gallagher with a more exotic name.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mate they'll spend over a hundred million pounds on a player marginally better than Gallagher with a more exotic name.

Yeah, I suspect the big splurge is coming soon.

I expect them to struggle just as much this season.

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yeah, I suspect the big splurge is coming soon.

I expect them to struggle just as much this season.

I think they'll be better with Poch than they were with Potter and Lampard - but I do think they'll struggle for a bit. Under Abramovich they were operating with just short term goals in mind and pretty little thought for the long term. To me it seems they've kept that lack of planning in the long term up... and I'm not sure Boehly knows what the short term goals are other than "I need this club to qualify for the CL so it can spin money for me" but with no real idea of what it takes to get a club to consistently qualify for the CL in a league that's grown increasingly competitive.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think they'll be better with Poch than they were with Potter and Lampard - but I do think they'll struggle for a bit. Under Abramovich they were operating with just short term goals in mind and pretty little thought for the long term. To me it seems they've kept that lack of planning in the long term up... and I'm not sure Boehly knows what the short term goals are other than "I need this club to qualify for the CL so it can spin money for me" but with no real idea of what it takes to get a club to consistently qualify for the CL in a league that's grown increasingly competitive.

I agree,  he's not got a clue. Is Poch even sanctioning these sales?

Poch is a good manager which could have got the best out of Kovacic, Mount and Haverts. 

They aren't just selling fodder they are also selling some of their better players. Even Loftus Cheek wasn't a bad player, soon they will have a squad of players that don't care about the club.

I think they struggle again.

56 minutes ago, Devil said:

What I don't get is how many midfielders Chelsea are clearing. I'm sure they are down to Gallagher and Enzo now and that's it!

There has even been talk of Gallagher going.

Overhaul needed to happen first. There's already a few name in midfield club is looking to bring in. 

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Overhaul needed to happen first. There's already a few name in midfield club is looking to bring in. 

Revolving door club.

8 year contracts, your a disaster waiting to happen.

Gonna enjoy this collapse, people far overating Poch as well. Never won anything outside of the tinpot league.

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Revolving door club.

Gonna enjoy this collapse, people far overating Poch as well. Never won anything outside of the tinpot league.

I think you are underrating Poch and understating how much of a disaster this will be.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Revolving door club.

Yeah serial winners Conte and Mourinho also failed miserably at Spurs. Poch getting a Spurs side handicapped by Levy to a Champions League final is a testament to his managerial ability. He’s realistically the best fit for our current squad. 

Clearlake/Egbahli’s actions last summer forced the club to hit restart and start anew. Since Stewart and Winstanley have been calling the shots since April we’ve been run pretty well (Bar the NFT sponsorship bollocks). 

Contract length isn’t the issue when getting rid of players. It’s the wages. The incentivized contract strategy adjusts players wages to make them earn what they’re worth dependent on European football.  

13 hours ago, Devil said:

I agree,  he's not got a clue. Is Poch even sanctioning these sales?

That's the bit I am curious about.. He has had zero time to see any of these players for himself to see who might and might not fit into any system he needs to make the improvements and we are letting quite a few go before he even gets to see them kick a ball.. Getting Poch on board took a bit of time so hopefully they have ironed out a way forward with the squad and he has had some say prior to signing about who goes and who he might want in to improve things.. If not then it could be January all over again with the Manager having to make things fit as opposed to having what he actually needs to strengthen.

I would hope that things couldn't get any worse than last season and we have some improvements at the very least.. Even a top 10 finfish would be better than last seasons debacal.. xD

All reports suggested Poch wanted Mount to stay but with this new incentivized contract strategy it wasn't likely. Club even went above that and offered him 200kpw and he still turned it down. 

• The title was changed to Mason Mount Joins Manchester United

Archived