talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester's Next Manager - Enzo Maresca Hired

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Well that will work in your favour if you don't want Scott Parker. He spent Bournemouth's summer budget in the winter, and then moaned the squad wasn't good enough and needed more money in the summer!

Yep, I do not want him! It worries me he's been regularly linked over the past couple of weeks.

Sounds like it'll be him, Enzo Maresca or Dean Smith. 

Adi Hutter keeps getting talked about but I don't think he'll come to us. If we survived, then perhaps. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That and he needs a lot of money, of which he'll no doubt get with you.

I remember when we got relegated and we played Fulham in the Championship, they tore us apart possession wise but we had similar numbers of shots (if memory serves correctly). Obviously it made no difference as he got Fulham promoted, but he just comes across as a manager needing a lot of money to succeed anywhere. It's why I wouldn't want him near us at all.

If he does become your manager, he'll likely get you promoted, but after that it's up in the air.

Yeah I think that's about what I expect. I've never been totally sure of his style of play but the comments from Fulham / Bournemouth fans are just way too similar to what I'm used to and fed up of. We disproved the possession myth back in 2016. That isn't to say having possession is a bad thing as such but I just don't think having 70% possession a game is quite the positive some think it is either. What you said there is interesting - similar shot counts in spite of these numbers. I want football that creates chances at a good rate. The possession is a total side point for me but both of our last two managers have been guilty for large periods of having loads of the ball without creating much. I don't want another of that ilk. It's infuriating.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Are Leicester's finances pretty bad or can they actually go into this season in the Championship and throw their weight around a bit?

Kieran Maguire seems to think we'll be OK and that the substantial sales we're going to make, which are likely to dwarf anything the league has seen in terms of pure income, will give us an upper hand even if we have taken out loans against future earnings that we now won't get (next season at least).

We should have enough money to be able to put together a team that can get promoted, but time isn't on our side, and as I feared - so far, nothing's set in stone bar players leaving on frees.

We could generate £150mil in player sales this summer which is unprecedented at this level.

• Subscriber

Looks like it's going to be Enzo Maresca. Fair play it's more intriguing than I thought they'd go for. He's supposedly blown them away in the interview.

It's a big gamble. I'm extremely torn on it. There's a part of me that thinks it's silly giving it to somebody who has only ever had one job of which wasn't too dissimilar a situation, which he failed in pretty badly. My other fear is that he is another dogmatic possession at all costs manager - but then it's never quite 'that' simple.

It's quite exciting though because the number of coaches who've worked under Pep and are having success seems to be growing. Xavi, Arteta and Kompany are all doing objectively well in management. If he's another of that ilk then it's a very good appointment. I also think the fact he's managed Manchester City's B team means he'll have a trick or two up his sleeve for loanees from them, which I think is a route we should try and explore this year.

He does seem to emphasise on wanting time, which I get, but I do think we need to be promoted this season and really haven't got an excuse to not. He should be able to put quite an imprint onto this team though.

This really could look sublime or ridiculous in a years time. So very torn.

• Administrator

Enzo Maresca it is then. Likely to be announced today.

If he has the same effect as Kompany and Arteta, we're in for a treat. Be surprised if we end up with 0 Man City loanees. @Happy Blue who would you like to see get some Championship experience with us, bearing in mind the facilities we have at Seagrave...

Exciting times given it's a different style to Rodgers. And perhaps that's what came out of the 'review' our owners had post-season. Interesting to see what kind of coaching staff he brings in, and more importantly, how he manages the rebuild and which new players will come in...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Enzo Maresca it is then. Likely to be announced today.

If he has the same effect as Kompany and Arteta, we're in for a treat. Be surprised if we end up with 0 Man City loanees. @Happy Blue who would you like to see get some Championship experience with us, bearing in mind the facilities we have at Seagrave...

Exciting times given it's a different style to Rodgers. And perhaps that's what came out of the 'review' our owners had post-season. Interesting to see what kind of coaching staff he brings in, and more importantly, how he manages the rebuild and which new players will come in...

He got sacked after 14 games with Parma so i hope he's improved under Pep. Palmer will be going out on loan, Leipzig want him as part of the Gvardiol deal but id rather he stayed in England, then Doyle & McAtee, might even be good for Lewis to go out and get regular football too ...who would you want? 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

He got sacked after 14 games with Parma so i hope he's improved under Pep. Palmer will be going out on loan, Leipzig want him as part of the Gvardiol deal but id rather he stayed in England, then Doyle & McAtee, might even be good for Lewis to go out and get regular football too ...who would you want? 

Feel like the Parma thing shouldn't be taken into account too much, considering they were a bit of a mess before he joined, and they've not improved that much since. I'd have liked to think he's gained a lot of knowledge and expertise alongside Guardiola.

Doubt we'd get Palmer, too good for the Championship now.

Wonder if because Doyle & McAtee performed well last season that other PL clubs might look into buying/loaning them.

Carlos Borges is the one I'd want - but apparently Forest/West Ham also interested. I'd take Doyle/McAtee if it works for them. And perhaps Sarmiento or Harwood-Bellis. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Feel like the Parma thing shouldn't be taken into account too much, considering they were a bit of a mess before he joined, and they've not improved that much since. I'd have liked to think he's gained a lot of knowledge and expertise alongside Guardiola.

Doubt we'd get Palmer, too good for the Championship now.

Wonder if because Doyle & McAtee performed well last season that other PL clubs might look into buying/loaning them.

Carlos Borges is the one I'd want - but apparently Forest/West Ham also interested. I'd take Doyle/McAtee if it works for them. And perhaps Sarmiento or Harwood-Bellis. 

Only time will tell but like you say, Parma are a bit of a mess. Borges looks promising but your stacked up top? ..Harwood-Bellis would be great for you, don't see him making it with us due to the players we have at CB but think Kompany will want him again next season

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Only time will tell but like you say, Parma are a bit of a mess. Borges looks promising but your stacked up top? ..Harwood-Bellis would be great for you, don't see him making it with us due to the players we have at CB but think Kompany will want him again next season

Yeah I reckon Burnley go for him. Similar to Doyle/McAtee, he's proved himself to probably be too good, and will probably learn a shit load off a defender like Kompany.

I thought Borges can play winger? He'd be perfect for us if he can play winger and striker. Might be stacked in personnel, but not talent. We need a fair bit of depth across pretty much everywhere. If we can snare a decent loan here and there, it allows us to spend a bit more of the Maddison/Barnes money on other areas of the squad. 

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I reckon Burnley go for him. Similar to Doyle/McAtee, he's proved himself to probably be too good, and will probably learn a shit load off a defender like Kompany.

I thought Borges can play winger? He'd be perfect for us if he can play winger and striker. Might be stacked in personnel, but not talent. We need a fair bit of depth across pretty much everywhere. If we can snare a decent loan here and there, it allows us to spend a bit more of the Maddison/Barnes money on other areas of the squad. 

Yeah he can play on both wings as well as a CF, i think Forest are trying to buy him but he could do a job out wide for you

• Subscriber

We absolutely aren't stacked in Borges' position. He'd be a great signing for us if we could get him. The worry I have with players like Doyle, McAtee, Harwood-Bellis etc... is that they've already done the Championship. Are the club going to be happy for them to basically do the same thing again? I'd imagine they would want to send them to a Premier League club.

Cole Palmer is the one I do think we'll end up with. Never actually had a loan out so feel it might be the time. I'll be shocked if Maresca doesn't utilise this at all.

I'm quite excited by this I must say - it could go horribly wrong for all we know but I see enough decent endorsements of him that he's worth taking that gamble on. I also sort of believe in this theory that you become a product of your surroundings and Maresca clearly fancies management, and he's been surrounded by good managers for loads of his career. He's got the trust of Guardiola, he's good mates with De Zerbi etc... he's by extension of this going to know a thing or two.

I saw an article on the Manchester Evening News site about how good he was with their U21s. How for years they had just played nice football but he came in and told them they'll win the league and they did. I want somebody who sticks to that sort of mindset. We should be aiming for the automatics this season, that sort of mindset is the first step towards it.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Cole Palmer is the one I do think we'll end up with. Never actually had a loan out so feel it might be the time. I'll be shocked if Maresca doesn't utilise this at all.

Linked with a Bundesliga loan, possibly RB Leipzig...

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Linked with a Bundesliga loan, possibly RB Leipzig...

That does tell me he's probably out of our reach. I think he'll have some players in mind - not even necessarily from Man City either. Plus we've had Glover working on this for a while with a remit. Now we just need to hope Rudkin doesn't scupper the deals by being useless.

• Subscriber

His U21 side beat us 6-1 and 4-0. Lets hope this has made him realise already that we need a shake up at that level too. We got relegated in 2020/21 but were saved because they expanded the league. We then got relegated again last season. Total neglect.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

That does tell me he's probably out of our reach. I think he'll have some players in mind - not even necessarily from Man City either. Plus we've had Glover working on this for a while with a remit. Now we just need to hope Rudkin doesn't scupper the deals by being useless.

I think he's out of our reach anyway given he's made quite a few appearances for Man City at PL/CL level anyway. Too good for the Championship. I think we'll be very fortunate in getting him. 

If Rudkin & Top's review has led to this, and as much as I was disgusted to read they'd be the ones reviewing their own performance anyway, then I see it as a good sign. I imagine Maresca 'interviewed well' by having a set list of targets and ambitions and now it's just a case of working with Glover to enable those ambitions.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

His U21 side beat us 6-1 and 4-0. Lets hope this has made him realise already that we need a shake up at that level too. We got relegated in 2020/21 but were saved because they expanded the league. We then got relegated again last season. Total neglect.

This is the other positive thing. The whole club needs a bit of a refresh; things have been taken for granted for too long. I'd like to think Maresca has seen a shit load of talent to tap in to by being a coach/manager at that level, let alone being at Man City. 

Maybe that was his other part of his interview - using his experience at Man City U21s to give ideas to Top & co to see how the academy level can be improved and actually get the best out of Seagrave. 

Callum Doyle and Harry Souttar would be a good pairing at this level.

I think Harwood-Bellis, McAtee and Tommy Doyle are now ready for Premier League football. 

One name I saw linked which surprised me was Jerry Yates. No offence to the guy as he was very good in the first half of last season, but that feels like it would be some leap to go from scoring for Blackpool on the counter to playing in a team expected to gain automatic promotion.

• The title was changed to Leicester's Next Manager - Enzo Maresca Hired
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

I think he's out of our reach anyway given he's made quite a few appearances for Man City at PL/CL level anyway. Too good for the Championship. I think we'll be very fortunate in getting him. 

If Rudkin & Top's review has led to this, and as much as I was disgusted to read they'd be the ones reviewing their own performance anyway, then I see it as a good sign. I imagine Maresca 'interviewed well' by having a set list of targets and ambitions and now it's just a case of working with Glover to enable those ambitions.

This is the other positive thing. The whole club needs a bit of a refresh; things have been taken for granted for too long. I'd like to think Maresca has seen a shit load of talent to tap in to by being a coach/manager at that level, let alone being at Man City. 

Maybe that was his other part of his interview - using his experience at Man City U21s to give ideas to Top & co to see how the academy level can be improved and actually get the best out of Seagrave. 

I do concede Palmer is ambitious but I also think we'd be an objectively decent move if the view was that he was going to a manager Man City trusted in a team that is expected to be winning most weeks. But Leipzig admittedly would get him over us.

He's saying all the right things for me so far. It's all very refreshing.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Callum Doyle and Harry Souttar would be a good pairing at this level.

I think Harwood-Bellis, McAtee and Tommy Doyle are now ready for Premier League football. 

One name I saw linked which surprised me was Jerry Yates. No offence to the guy as he was very good in the first half of last season, but that feels like it would be some leap to go from scoring for Blackpool on the counter to playing in a team expected to gain automatic promotion.

Yeah I must say I'm not particularly enamoured by that one. Doesn't seem to score particularly well on the stats sites I use. Maybe an OK option but I think we can get better than that personally.

Tom Cairney and Harry Winks are linked. Really hard to judge how good Winks is because he's just never quite got going and he was part of a horrendous Sampdoria last year, but he's generally has praise as being a low-key tidy player. Cairney I've always quite rated, I'd take him on a sensible contract.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

Yeah I must say I'm not particularly enamoured by that one. Doesn't seem to score particularly well on the stats sites I use. Maybe an OK option but I think we can get better than that personally.

Tom Cairney and Harry Winks are linked. Really hard to judge how good Winks is because he's just never quite got going and he was part of a horrendous Sampdoria last year, but he's generally has praise as being a low-key tidy player. Cairney I've always quite rated, I'd take him on a sensible contract.

I think Tom Cairney's experience at this level can only be a good thing. Three promotions, playoff final goalscorer, club captain. Can only see positives. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Tom Cairney's experience at this level can only be a good thing. Three promotions, playoff final goalscorer, club captain. Can only see positives. 

The catch with him is he's older than I realised. I really thought he was about 29 when first linked but he's 32. I would have him on a two year deal though.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

The catch with him is he's older than I realised. I really thought he was about 29 when first linked but he's 32. I would have him on a two year deal though.

Yes, I had that shock with Joel Ward recently. You forget those spring chickens ten years ago aren't that any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived