• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester's Next Manager - Enzo Maresca Hired

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

My fear with us is that we plunge too much into this audacious bid when we aren't blessed with loads of time and need to make big changes to the squad and we end up panicking and just appointing Smith.

I do actually think for his flaws he would get this club in some sort of order again. I think there are valid criticisms of his style of play, his teams simply don't score enough goals, but he'd be a coup in the Championship.

I can see it being Scott Parker as well. Daniel Farke's just left Gladbach. They never go near managers who haven't worked in England before. They limit themselves on managers for some reason.

A Palace ITK with good contacts said he spoke to people close to Rodgers and Potter a month ago to gauge whether they'd be interested in Palace. The impression he got was that they're not looking for jobs in the immediate future unless it was an exceptional opportunity (ie Spurs).

Potter will surely wait for a Premier League vacancy.

For Leicester & Leeds, there may be questions as to If they will look at Gerrard, Lampard & Parker. Given the choices both clubs were making through the season, all 3 seem plausible. To be fair, they could be just the jobs those 3 are waiting for. Someone like Hassenhuttl or Farke may well be better choices. 

5 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

You're better off at Cardiff. 

Sign for a season, get sacked after 3 months and have the remaining 9 months lounging on a beach while we pay for it.

Win win for you. :)

Yeah sounds good, I’ll do that first

• Subscriber

New Telegraph article says the names linked are Smith, Enzo Maresca, Gerrard, Parker and McKenna.

McKenna would be good. Maresca is a bit of a wildcard. Do not want Gerrard. Smith permanently would be exactly the kind of lack of imagination I associate with this club now so I fully expect that.

• Subscriber

I've long thought we'd just go for Parker as his case for the job is decent, but I don't really want him either, I can't ignore the fact neither Fulham or Bournemouth's fans like him even despite getting promoted with both - that's something I associate a bit too much with our last manager.

I'd still like us to go for Adi Hutter but I don't see them doing it. I think we could persuade him though. He wants a move to England and I do think if you sell this job as a blank canvas with the biggest budget in the league, it will get takers.

I want this done within the next week. I'm too scarred from last years summer of nothingness to have any faith that the right sort of thing is getting done. I'm increasingly baffled at the situation around our director of football - not only is he completely bulletproof but he seems to have the workload of about four people. As much as I don't rate him, how do they seriously think that's going to work? Get an experienced director of football in and leave this bloke to the horses and Leuven.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

I want this done within the next week

Wonder if it'll be timed with the STH renewals closing date, then announced. It's the kind of 'cut your nose to spite your face' thing our club would get up to these days, instead of just getting a manager in as early as possible to work with the players/staff etc. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

Wonder if it'll be timed with the STH renewals closing date, then announced. It's the kind of 'cut your nose to spite your face' thing our club would get up to these days, instead of just getting a manager in as early as possible to work with the players/staff etc. 

Good grief you've become cynical. I love it!

• Subscriber

Jesus the Bournemouth / Fulham overall view of Parker is abysmal. I know he took both of them up and that shouldn't be ignored but there are so many red flags. He sounds like another Rodgers to me. I can't tolerate another ego-maniac obsessed with possession at all costs. I want us to become a proper front-foot pressing team again not death by football.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Jesus the Bournemouth / Fulham overall view of Parker is abysmal. I know he took both of them up and that shouldn't be ignored but there are so many red flags. He sounds like another Rodgers to me. I can't tolerate another ego-maniac obsessed with possession at all costs. I want us to become a proper front-foot pressing team again not death by football.

That and he needs a lot of money, of which he'll no doubt get with you.

I remember when we got relegated and we played Fulham in the Championship, they tore us apart possession wise but we had similar numbers of shots (if memory serves correctly). Obviously it made no difference as he got Fulham promoted, but he just comes across as a manager needing a lot of money to succeed anywhere. It's why I wouldn't want him near us at all.

If he does become your manager, he'll likely get you promoted, but after that it's up in the air.

• Administrator

I'm with Dan on this. Just cannot be going through the rigmarole that is dull, possession-based, cautious, negatively-minded, defensive football.

From listening those fans that had Parker has their team's manager, it's all you pretty much hear from them. 

It's not worth the hassle to get him in. My inkling is that the owners are wanting to find someone that will spend the least money possible and not blow the finances. But with the amount of overhaul in the squad that is almost a necessity now, it's inevitable there's going to be a lot spent. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are Leicester's finances pretty bad or can they actually go into this season in the Championship and throw their weight around a bit?

Comparatively we can throw our weight around.

I just don't trust that our owners actually planned for this scenario - given their blind ignorance that led us to this situation, a proper 'we'll be fine, nothing to see here' attitude.

A huge wage bill engulfs us. It will be trimmed, but to what extent who knows. Some players may be on upwards of £60-70k in this league. 

So on the face of it, they're probably not bad as such, but being relegated means the income is drastically lowered. One of the loans we took out with Macquarie, was/is paid for with PL TV money, which is now not going to be forthcoming (!!!). So there's those kind of things to contend with, let alone staff costs throughout the club, not just players. 

We just have to find our shrewdness back. It's what got us to such a good position in the first place. Shrewdness when it comes to selling players i.e. having clauses or future payment promises. And shrewdness when buying players - finding talent in lower leagues or on the continent, and not thrashing out stupid money on average players. 

48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are Leicester's finances pretty bad or can they actually go into this season in the Championship and throw their weight around a bit?

Owners are billionaires. Leicester is a secure as they are willing to make them.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

My inkling is that the owners are wanting to find someone that will spend the least money possible and not blow the finances.

Well that will work in your favour if you don't want Scott Parker. He spent Bournemouth's summer budget in the winter, and then moaned the squad wasn't good enough and needed more money in the summer!

• The title was changed to Leicester's Next Manager - Enzo Maresca Hired

Archived