• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookies have listed as some of the favourites to take over:

• Kjetil Knudsen (Bodo/Glimt Manager)
  • Enzo Maresca (Man City Assistant)
  • David Moyes (West Ham Manager)
  • Brendan Rodgers (Former Manager)
  • John Kennedy (Current Coach)
  • Graham Potter (Former Brighton Manager)
  • Jesse Marsch (Former Leeds Manager)
  • John Dahl Tomasson (Blackburn Manager)
  • Scott Brown (Former Captain / Fleetwood Manager)
  • Steve Clarke (Scotland Manager)

Hardly, the most inspiring of lists. But these rarely are. To me, the stand out is the current favourite, Knudsen.

Celtic will be familiar with him, as his Norwegian team beat Celtic home and away last season in the Europa Conference League knockouts.

Perhaps a bit sheepish after their last appointment from Norway, Ronny Delia, but Knudsen has had more success in European competitions.

• Subscriber

@Inverted, any thoughts on your next manager? my money would be on Moyes being asked to take over, he played for them in the '80s, then you have the former manager Brendan Rogers but a Hoops friend of mine said his name does not go down well with die hard Celtic guys after up and left them for Leicester.

11 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

@Inverted, any thoughts on your next manager? my money would be on Moyes being asked to take over, he played for them in the '80s, then you have the former manager Brendan Rogers but a Hoops friend of mine said his name does not go down well with die hard Celtic guys after up and left them for Leicester.

Rodgers has pretty much burnt that bridge. Went full on about how much Celtic meant to him, but jumped at the first decent offer from England in the middle of the season. Would probably not sit well with players either, especially if he was trying to persuade them to stay. Can't possibly take him seriously with that.

For Moyes, would he want to move to Celtic? He's revitalized his reputation at West Ham, and probably has a lot of job security (for an EPL manager at least) with their European victory. He's already had his opportunity at an even bigger job at Man United, and although the size of the club / league is smaller, the scrutiny and pressure he would face is somewhat comparable at Celtic. 

I'm increasingly getting the feeling that the board completely lucked-out with Ange and are still otherwise clueless. Knudsen is probably the strongest candidate I've heard get mentioned but if Ajax are also after him then there's no chance.

• Subscriber

Celtic manager hunt: Enzo Maresca, Jesse Marsch, Brendan Rodgers in frame to replace Ange Postecoglou

download.thumb.png.3defb0aac4cd55ee1037cf266f1e805b.png

Celtic's hunt for a new manager is under way but who is in the frame to take over from Ange Postecoglou?

The Australian was appointed Tottenham head coach on Tuesday after two years at Celtic in which he won back-to-back Scottish Premiership titles and a domestic treble this season.......

• Administrator

Thought the majority of fans despised him with how he left. Wonder how much he'll have to butter them up on his return. 

Also, I'm now a part-time Rangers fan :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Brendan Rodgers names Celtic condition as talks underway over backroom staff

It's thought Rodgers is close to returning to Parkhead as boss

Brendan Rodgers has told Celtic chiefs they must aim to become a European force if he returns as manager.

The former Hoops boss has been locked in talks with Hoops majority shareholder Dermot Desmond after emerging as their number one target to succeed Ange Postecoglou. Part of those talks has been the Northern Irishman informing the club that one of his conditions is they must spend the necessary funds to do well on the continent.

Should he take the job as expected, Rodgers would lead Celts into the Champions League groups a year after Ange Postecoglou's side managed zero wins on the same stage. Rodgers was frustrated by a ceiling in Europe during his first spell and now wants to see investment in players and infrastructure to try and progress, reports the Daily Mail.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brendan-rodgers-names-celtic-condition-27118010

• Subscriber

Brendan Rodgers: Celtic fans' views of a potential return to Parkhead

download.thumb.png.11bbbe95451e549695855187f3d27308.png

You might think a club looking to bring back one of its most successful managers would be greeted with universal approval, but invincible treble or not, it's not the case at Celtic.

The nature of Brendan Rodgers' departure - mid-season for Leicester City and before the mythical 10th league title in a row could be secured - still rankles with many.

We asked Celtic fans for their views on Rodgers and a potential return to Glasgow - and they did not disappoint.......

On 14/06/2023 at 08:51, Bravado said:

How would Celtic fans feel about that? I admit I'm a bit surprised. 

On 14/06/2023 at 11:27, Stan said:

Thought the majority of fans despised him with how he left. Wonder how much he'll have to butter them up on his return. 

Also, I'm now a part-time Rangers fan :ph34r:

I think there will be a bit of a prickly feeling towards him from a lot of the fans. Rodgers better be aware of this and cut his bullshit in press conference etc.

But this is still a manager who won every single domestic competition the last time around. And if he starts off that well again, and they are sitting top of the league and have won the first Old Firm match of the season, it'll probably be quickly forgetton. 

Last time around it almost seemed as if he was doing them a favour by 'stepping down' to them after his time at Liverpool. It'll be interesting to see how he acts this time around with Celtic really doing him a favour to rebuild his reputation again.

• 2 months later...