talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - West Ham Transfer Off

football forum

I will say I would not mind Maguire being a Villa player, but I can not see it happening. Villa just spent £30m+ on Pau Torres, to make him the 5th senior CB. The stronger rumours right now do seem for Villa to bring in a 2nd RB. And 1 that perhaps can be 5th CB cover. Or even a LB, to allow Digne to leave.

There was the false story of Villa being interested when Maguire played golf in the Midlands not too long back. Feels like if Emery & the club bosses wanted Maguire, they'd have made moves before Pau Torres.

7 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I will say I would not mind Maguire being a Villa player, but I can not see it happening. Villa just spent £30m+ on Pau Torres, to make him the 5th senior CB. The stronger rumours right now do seem for Villa to bring in a 2nd RB. And 1 that perhaps can be 5th CB cover. Or even a LB, to allow Digne to leave.

There was the false story of Villa being interested when Maguire played golf in the Midlands not too long back. Feels like if Emery & the club bosses wanted Maguire, they'd have made moves before Pau Torres.

you play a very high line, Maguire will be a disaster

5 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

you play a very high line, Maguire will be a disaster

I don't think Maguire quite matches the skill sets Unai Emery would be looking for.

But on a tangent on that 1 match: the Match of the Day analysis at least was predictably off the money. Villa started the match with an injury crisis.

1st goal - Tonali the 'DM' taking all by surprise & not picked up.

2nd goal - a badly defended free kick, or a brilliantly taken 1.

3rd goal - 99 out 100 Konsa does not provide the chance for Isak, who still does well to lift it over Martinez.

90-something matches out 100 Cash makes it 2-2.

Then Villa heads have really dropped for 4th & 5th. Line maybe a little high on 4th. But nobody is picking up the right man, pressuring the pass, etc. In years gone by, I feel sure this would have been Alan Hansen's analysis. With circles & direction pointers. But we don't tend to get quite the same quality of analysis anymore.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I don't think Maguire quite matches the skill sets Unai Emery would be looking for.

But on a tangent on that 1 match: the Match of the Day analysis at least was predictably off the money. Villa started the match with an injury crisis.

3rd goal - 99 out 100 Konsa does not provide the chance for Isak, who still does well to lift it over Martinez.

Then Villa heads have really dropped for 4th & 5th. Line maybe a little high on 4th. But nobody is picking up the right man, pressuring the pass, etc. In years gone by, I feel sure this would have been Alan Hansen's analysis. With circles & direction pointers. But we don't tend to get quite the same quality of analysis anymore.

I think it was quite clear that mentally Villa's players understandably looked shaken from Mings' injury. It's like the tempo and the stuffing was knocked right out of them.

I also didn't understand Bailey coming off (unless it was fitness/injury related). He was combining well with Diaby and creating space for him, which allowed the frenetic start to continue. Once Bailey was off Villa's shape changed and they weren't pressing off the ball as much, nor looking incisive or dynamic.

What's also worth noting is that Villa won't always come up against a side as effective on the break or going forward as Newcastle, and there won't always be such a high line. Even if Mings hadn't got injured, Newcastle away with the buzz around them was probably one of the most difficult fixtures to begin with.  

33 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I like watching Zekko or TIFO who do very good match analysis.

Sean Longstaff probably doesn't sense opportunity in time and gamble on the run into space.   that is the differance between a star level player and a solid good player.

9 big chances to 1 suggests we were always more threatening, Tonali had a chance to make it 2-0 in 8 minutes and the Villa goal was one that also doesn't happen 99 of 100 tries in that it deflects off the back of trippier into Watkins who just heads back randomly.   most times that hits trippier and goes out for a corner or throw in.

the third was lucky but it can't be ignored and Matty Cash's miss was really 3-2.   Isak and Wilson both missed good chances.

For me the mental blow of losing Mings was tough but I also think Villa lacked fitness levels to see out the game.  Tielemans was a sub and spent most of the time hands on knees breathing heavy, Kamara was finished, Cash was cooked.

it is early season and I am sure Villa will still be up there come April/May,  it was a game I was concerned about and I will not say it was an easy game, I was just delighted at the ruthlessness shown and the fitness levels, two things we need if we are to build off last season.

Edited by OrangeKhrush

• Subscriber

The guys a twat and he must not be thinking about keeping his England place as Southgate has told him he needs to play to keep his place in the England team, he has a fight on his hand if he thinks he can get back into the United side on a regular basis. 

25 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The guys a twat and he must not be thinking about keeping his England place as Southgate has told him he needs to play to keep his place in the England team, he has a fight on his hand if he thinks he can get back into the United side on a regular basis. 

without Mings injury I would have Stones, Timori, Mings and Colwill ahead of the slab

If he does stay and it is looking more likely, the abuse he will get from some fans is going to be terrible. Totally unwarranted,  like I said earlier you can't blame him for not wanting to leave, pay cut and all.  Hopefully the match going supporters are a little more civil than the internet warriors.

You would think playing the last few minutes of every 3rd game or so, being brought on to protect a lead by getting his head on set plays and crosses into the box, which he's not bad at, would end his England career. However,  Southgate seems to like him as does Pickford and having a keeper and one of your CB's on the same page doesn't hurt.

Edited by Redcanuck

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I like watching Zekko or TIFO who do very good match analysis.

Sean Longstaff probably doesn't sense opportunity in time and gamble on the run into space.   that is the differance between a star level player and a solid good player.

9 big chances to 1 suggests we were always more threatening, Tonali had a chance to make it 2-0 in 8 minutes and the Villa goal was one that also doesn't happen 99 of 100 tries in that it deflects off the back of trippier into Watkins who just heads back randomly.   most times that hits trippier and goes out for a corner or throw in.

the third was lucky but it can't be ignored and Matty Cash's miss was really 3-2.   Isak and Wilson both missed good chances.

For me the mental blow of losing Mings was tough but I also think Villa lacked fitness levels to see out the game.  Tielemans was a sub and spent most of the time hands on knees breathing heavy, Kamara was finished, Cash was cooked.

it is early season and I am sure Villa will still be up there come April/May,  it was a game I was concerned about and I will not say it was an easy game, I was just delighted at the ruthlessness shown and the fitness levels, two things we need if we are to build off last season.

Well, you can enjoy the 5-1 for all its worth. There is a very good chance Newcastle will be going for Top 4 again. If not more. And a very real wake up call to Villa If they do have designs on moving up. 

But, especially due to the above, on the Maguire-defensive tactics & analysis, for me 'high line' is up there with 'parked the bus' as a critique. They are opposite sides of the same coin & are just easy catch all phrases that only applies dependent on a result. And often the direction someone is pulling.

Yes, some players will perhaps suit 1 style over another. But for me, too much is made of it, or excused away by it.

1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Well, you can enjoy the 5-1 for all its worth. There is a very good chance Newcastle will be going for Top 4 again. If not more. And a very real wake up call to Villa If they do have designs on moving up. 

But, especially due to the above, on the Maguire-defensive tactics & analysis, for me 'high line' is up there with 'parked the bus' as a critique. They are opposite sides of the same coin & are just easy catch all phrases that only applies dependent on a result. And often the direction someone is pulling.

Yes, some players will perhaps suit 1 style over another. But for me, too much is made of it, or excused away by it.

fair enough, I think Emery is a progressive manager, can't see him playing deep blocks.   He wants to win the ball high up the pitch and exploit the disarray. 

Villa need a Lewis Dunk type CB now

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

If he does stay and it is looking more likely, the abuse he will get from some fans is going to be terrible. Totally unwarranted,  like I said earlier you can't blame him for not wanting to leave, pay cut and all.  Hopefully the match going supporters are a little more civil than the internet warriors.

You would think playing the last few minutes of every 3rd game or so, being brought on to protect a lead by getting his head on set plays and crosses into the box, which he's not bad at, would end his England career. However,  Southgate seems to like him as does Pickford and having a keeper and one of your CB's on the same page doesn't hurt.

I don't think Maguire cares about football anymore and the 24m United owe him is worth more.  he may get left out of the 25 man squad in which case nobody will see him all season

5 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

He already gets picked without playing for United, so I don't think he's really concerned about that xD