talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - West Ham Transfer Off

football forum

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Inverted said:

CCV is far more athletic and technically solid than the average Scottish Premiership CB. I don't think the same is true for Maguire and the average PL CB.

CCV (or FBI/VCR as per @Spike's suggestion xD) could possibly be a signing for Ange seeing that he was on loan at Celtic from Spurs until they signed him (Hoops) on a permanent basis last year, BUT if he tried giving square head Maguire as a swap deal then Ange can fuck off as I don't think Celtic would have that idea.

• Subscriber

We've been linked with him as well. I don't know if there's anything in it. He'd probably be an alright signing for Dyche's system but it depends how much of a pay reduction he'd be willing to take. Footballers aren't usually keen on that. Dyche and Thelwell are finally doing what we should have been doing 7 years ago and trying to build a sensible wage structure so I doubt this is a compatible move because he'd probably have to drop below £100k a week which by all accounts would be a 50% pay cut for him or worse.

54 minutes ago, Spike said:

Is he really that mediocre or is it just the media cycle feeding on itself?

he is shite, even if he was given to Arsenal for free and salary paid by Man United you would not touch him.

Linderlof has never been regarded as good but he is at least capable of filling in,  Maguire made 8 starts all season and that was purely desperation as there was nobody else.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

He isn’t. He’s a good player. He’s an above average premier league CB and if he was playing for anyone outside the top 6 people would be talking him up again. He obviously has his limitations, and mistakes at a club like United get massive attention, but he’s still a good player and performances for England show that 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spike said:

For a title challenging side, yes. But like Storts said, he would be good for Brentford, Villa, Palace ect. 

6 hours ago, Storts said:

He isn’t. He’s a good player. He’s an above average premier league CB and if he was playing for anyone outside the top 6 people would be talking him up again. He obviously has his limitations, and mistakes at a club like United get massive attention, but he’s still a good player and performances for England show that 

I think he’s good for sides that play a deep line but totally shit for sides that play a high line.

• Subscriber

He should have never been given the captains arm band and I think it was Ole that made him captain, he could not lead a pack of ants in an ant hill, maybe, and I say MAYBE if he was not given it then he might have been just ok, when you get DDG telling him that the players were on the wrong side being led out down the tunnel then that tells you everything about the guy.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he’s good for sides that play a deep line but totally shit for sides that play a high line.

I think that’s probably fair enough. He’s not a bad player at all though, but perhaps a lot more system orientated to get the best out of him than others 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Storts said:

I think that’s probably fair enough. He’s not a bad player at all though, but perhaps a lot more system orientated to get the best out of him than others 

If he was a bad player he wouldn’t have had good tournaments for England or gone from Burnley to Leicester to United. It’s just that at United he’s asked to do more in systems he’s just not suited to, especially under Ten Hag who likes a higher line.

There’s fine margins between good, really good, and great. He’s got too many limitations to be considered really good or great because he can’t play in every sort of defensive setup, but he’s not a bad player.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Why even bother requiring about a loan.  United need to sell Maquire to help bring in new players.

He's on big wages, so getting the wages off your books for a year would still be helpful. His wages, I think, are going to be the hardest thing about offloading him before his contract is up. He's on big money and none of the clubs that can afford to pay him a similar wage are going to make a move for him after his form over the last few seasons.

We're going to have to pay a contribution I'm afraid, its the price for giving bang average players daft contracts.

He can't stay now, he's  been demoralised too much. Mental thing is I think he'd have improved with a sweeper keeper behind him. He prefers the high line. 

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

He prefers the high line. 

Really? So many times for United I've seen him look absolutely lost in a high line. Or he'll be playing completely fine and then all of a sudden he's lost his head and done something stupid and given up a goal. Whereas with England he usually looks solid as fuck and England don't really play with a high line at all. Especially in tournaments, where it's generally safety first from England.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Really? So many times for United I've seen him look absolutely lost in a high line. Or he'll be playing completely fine and then all of a sudden he's lost his head and done something stupid and given up a goal. Whereas with England he usually looks solid as fuck and England don't really play with a high line at all. Especially in tournaments, where it's generally safety first from England.

Yeah, I stand by that. United suffered from having a keeper with such a bad lack of football ability. Defenders would choose to hold the ball longer as they didn't trust the keeper with the ball.

Maguire used to get caught all the time, I'm convinced he'd do better with Onana behind him. We won't find that out now though.

I find it really odd when supporters turn on a player. So a guy is struggling,  low on morale, and the response is too boo and mock? I don’t get it. The response Maguire gets is shocking and over the top.

21 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yeah, I stand by that. United suffered from having a keeper with such a bad lack of football ability. Defenders would choose to hold the ball longer as they didn't trust the keeper with the ball.

Maguire used to get caught all the time, I'm convinced he'd do better with Onana behind him. We won't find that out now though.

Tbh, I think Maguire's problems wouldn't matter regardless of who the keeper is. He's not a well rounded player, he's a good player in the right system - like before he joined you or at England. His lack of speed and lack of positional awareness in a high line are always going to have him being caught out. Imo he just doesn't fit in with United's system and will always be a weak link in defense as long as he's playing in a high line. You might be right about having a keeper not comfortable with the ball at his feet may have left him not trusting the keeper with the ball - but I he's just not suited to playing in a high line and it wouldn't solve the problem.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh, I think Maguire's problems wouldn't matter regardless of who the keeper is. He's not a well rounded player, he's a good player in the right system - like before he joined you or at England. His lack of speed and lack of positional awareness in a high line are always going to have him being caught out. Imo he just doesn't fit in with United's system and will always be a weak link in defense as long as he's playing in a high line. You might be right about having a keeper not comfortable with the ball at his feet may have left him not trusting the keeper with the ball - but I he's just not suited to playing in a high line and it wouldn't solve the problem.

He plays a high line for England really well. 

Pickford is a good example of trusting a keeper with the ball at his feet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Harry Maguire - West Ham Make £30m Bid
  • The title was changed to Harry Maguire - West Ham Transfer Off