• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pre-Season Report

Any tactical tweaks/formation updates?

Stand-out youngster:

Most improved player:

Overall view on your pre-season: 

We’ve changed from a 5-3-2 to a 4-3-3, more playing out from the back and if the defence does play long balls it will be out to the wings. Ben Mee specifically has been entrusted to distribute out to the wings to help support the keeper.

Stand-out youngster:

Olakigbe. Signed from Fulham and QPR previously to the B Team, I think he’s still quite raw and will probably need more B Team games. But he is skillful, fast and brave enough to try and take players on.

Most improved player:

Keane Lewis-Potter. KLP had a difficult season last season, with only two forward positions available it was difficult to get minutes, but he also suffered a long-termish injury which impacted gametime too. He’s shown a lot of potential in the Championship and last year he definitely didn’t show that, but in pre-season he looks very determined, sharp and aggressive in his play. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him start in the opening game of the season ahead of Schade, I feel like this season will be a good one for him.

Obviously you can never judge how well you’ll do in the season based on pre-season results, but you can get a lot from performances. We look ready for the season, no real injury concerns, and I think the way we’re set up now players like Schade, KLP, Mbeumo and Dasilva will score a lot of goals collectively this season. It’s exciting, I think Toney is going to come back into a team that will be firing on all cylinders.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like we will persist with 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 this season.

Infact I'm very confident that this will be the team to face Sheffield United:

Johnstone

Ward - Andersen - Guehi - Mitchell

Doucoure - Lerma

Ayew - Eze - Schlupp

Edouard 

Stand-out youngster:

We haven't felt the need to integrate the U23's with the first team. If Ahamada counts then him.

Most improved player:

Ahamada has had a bigger impact than I anticipated.

The football has been good. The recruitment has once again been far too slow. Which is an occurring theme for 6 out of the last 10 summers.

It does sound that Emery will be using his take on the latest fad of CB's at FB. Back 4 in defence, converting to 3 CB's in possession. First read suggestion that Konsa & Chambers could be deployed as RB-CB, allowing Moreno to become LWB in possession. Could still happen at times, but in pre-season it has mostly been Cash as the RWB, with Torres at LB-CB. Both Konsa & Mings maintaing their spots alongside Torres. With Carlos & Chambers the bench options.

Stand-out youngster:

Jaden Philogene-Bidace has been getting very positive reviews. A promising wing attacker. Cameron Archer has played in pre-season. But missed several chances. It seems up in the air as to whether either will be part of the 1st team squad.

Most improved player:

Since Emery arrived nearly every player seems drastically improved. But for me, the most notable improvement was in Buendia. Who just started performing on a regular basis. Almost as though he just suddenly understood what he was supposed to be doing. And also Ramsey, the elder, Jacob. For me, it felt clear quite early on that he was destined to be much more of a CAM-wing attack role, than in a 3 man CM engine room. Since Emery, that has been the case. But a caution to Fantasy League bargain hunters... he is injured for the opening part of the season. And with the growing depth of the squad, he may also have a period of re-establishing himself. He could easily be looking at dislodging 1 of McGinn, Buendia or Tielemans.

Lots of promise. Undefeated. Some impressive attacking play. Some perhaps rusty & learning on the job defence. Yet narrowly missing out on a pre-season trophy. No injuries. Further confirmation Ollie Watkins is not a natural penalty taker. Impressive looking transfer business. Enjoying how many media experts, former not-so-glory-era players & online amateur predictors are dismissing Villa really, really, easily from upsetting the Top 7 establishment, again, let alone even more so, because Europe & look at West Ham & Big 6! I do actually hope a large portion of current managers & players are maintaining a similar dismissive attitude to Villa.

Shifting between a 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 in match. Build up is a lot more efficient and patterns of play in the attacking phase provide the attackers a platform to express themselves. Defensive structure still very good. 

Stand-out youngster:

Malo Gusto.

Unreal signing. This lad would start for most clubs. Going to have zero issues with James' out injured. Season typically is over when he's out of the squad. 

Most improved player: 

Gallagher. Has done surprising well playing in a deep pivot. Not sure where his future lies though. 

9/10. 

Loved every second of it. Night and day difference between the disaster preseason of last summer. 

Expected team vs Liverpool. (Nkunku out injured). 

Kepa

James Silva Colwill Chilwell

Gallagher Enzo

Sterling Carney Mudryk

Jackson

Edited by Cicero

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Shifting between a 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 in match. Build up is a lot more efficient and patterns of play in the attacking phase provide the attackers a platform to express themselves. Defensive structure still very good. 

Stand-out youngster:

Malo Gusto.

Unreal signing. This lad would start for most clubs. Going to have zero issues with James' out injured. Season typically is over when he's out of the squad. 

Most improved player: 

Gallagher. Has done surprising well playing in a deep pivot. Not sure where his future lies though. 

9/10. 

Loved every second of it. Night and day difference between the disaster preseason of last summer. 

Expected team vs Liverpool. (Nkunku out injured). 

Kepa

James Silva Colwill Chilwell

Gallagher Enzo

Sterling Carney Mudryk

Jackson

Against Brighton I saw two distinct patterns I'd really like to see more of this season, 4-1-4-1 off the ball, where Gallagher was alongside Chukwuemeka pressing opposition defenders. That looks like goals potential for a midfielder who can finish.

Then there was the 3-2-4-1 with Cucu tucking into a double pivot. I think there's going to be some serious invention from this side this season. Newcastle struggled to keep up with the position changes. 

16 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Stand-out youngster:

Jaden Philogene-Bidace has been getting very positive reviews. A promising wing attacker. Cameron Archer has played in pre-season. But missed several chances. It seems up in the air as to whether either will be part of the 1st team squad.

Started slowly for us, but did very well for us as the season got to the crucial stages. Hope he gets chances for you.

If not, we'll have him back. :)

We tried a 3 at the back formation against Gateshead and Aston Villa which didn't at all work for me,  we were to exposed with Trippier at RCB getting positionally exposed,  given he is not a CB or defensive fullback.    We then resorted back to the Eddie Howe 4-3-3 which works and I don't think there is any reason to tweak something that isn't broke. 

Stand-out youngster:

Lewis Miley (17),  Elliot Anderson (20), Ben Parkinson (18) and Alex "Robocop" Murphy (18).  Lewis Miley has recieved a lot of praise and we declined sending him on loan as Eddie Howe wants him part of the squad.    He is likened to Michael Carrick and looked well in his league competing against Enzo Fernandez (twice), Douglas Luiz and Moises Caicedo.   

Elliot Anderson bagged 4 goals and 2 assists and is called the Scottish Maradona,  very comfortable player on the eye and and an eye for goal,  he probably is perfectly likened to a Harvey Barnes. 

Under Ashley's regime we never produced anything out the academy,  one year into Ashworth and we have 4 players who are very capable of stepping into the first team.    

Most improved player:

Anthony Gordon,  looks far fitter and more confident.  He has missed a lot of good chances however his pace behind the defensive line and willingness to run at defenses has caused a lot of issues.   He is likely due a break out year. 

I found myself annoyed as we were rotating squads a lot,  though in hindsight that was probably Howe's intent and the depth is good bar maybe Lascelles and Dummett at CB.

Gateshead (W) 3-2

Rangers (W) 2-1

Villa (D) 3-3

Chelsea (D) 1-1

Brighton (W) 2-1

Fiorentina (W) 2-0

Villareal (W) 4-0

We did concede a lot of soft goals,  the Villa game was where we tried a back 3 and Villa were just having their way,  it clearly didn't work,  we conceded very soft goals at Gateshead and Rangers which was one aspect I was not happy with.

I was however very happy with the attacking threat we possess

We saved the best for last.

It is really hard to make a starting 11 vs Villa but my guess will be

Pope

Trippier

Schar (injury permitting)

Botman

Burn

Longstaff

Bruno G

Joe7inton

Almiron