talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Alonso will start from the back of the grid (25 grid places penalty) due to Honda moving him to a new power unit. 

Ricciardo got 5 places penalty due to unscheduled gearbox change as well.

• Subscriber

Great chance for Force India or Williams to secure a high starting position with all these penalties. Can see Perez or someone challenging for a podium tomorrow as the Force India is hard to pass if they get up the front. 

• Subscriber

Perez is good enough for the top three teams but Raikkonen in his current form is the only one in those teams that isn't clearly better then Perez.

I'd rather see him go up against Vettel than Kimi at the moment. 

Ricciardo has broken down on track. Looks like he's out of qualifying, will join Alonso on the back row but will probably start from the pit lane instead. 

• Subscriber

Watching this reminds me of when I went to the British Grands Prix in 2010 and 2011. Great weekend and would highly recommend going to a race weekend if you can afford it. Definitely try and do all of the Friday - Sunday sessions rather than just race day, it's worth it.

The best thing about looking back is the guys we got to see competing in the support races. In 2010, we saw Carlos Sainz win one of the Formula BMW races from pole position, Esteban Gutiérrez dominate the GP3 races, taking pole and a win in the first race, while Jules Bianchi took pole in the GP2 before the two races were won by Pastor Maldonado and Sergio Perez, all five of these guys going on to race in F1. This was all before the actual Grand Prix, won by Mark Webber which was "not bad for a number two driver". We watched the race on Sunday from one of the stands in the Woodcote section, we saw a lot of action including a spin for Alonso, Alguersauri pulling into the gravel when his Toro Rosso broke down and a steward running onto the track to remove some debris to rapturous applause.

There was no Formula BMW in 2011, replaced by a sports car series which I can't remember the name of. Valtteri Bottas was racing GP3 but didn't have much success at Silverstone that year, but we did see Romain Grosjean steal the show in the GP2, fastest lap in both races and a win in the feature race after Jules Bianchi won the sprint race from pole. The Grand Prix saw Alonso take Ferrari's only win that year, there was a point in the race when Hamilton and Button, both at McLaren at the time, each gained a position on the same lap on a wet track, the crowd went nuts for a minute or two, great fun. This time we watched the race from Beckett's, which is one of the best parts of the track, and you can see the turn 3-4 section in the middle of the track from here, but not the best spot to see much overtaking.

Back to today, Hulkenberg is absolutely flying out there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There was no Formula BMW in 2011, replaced by a sports car series which I can't remember the name of.

Porsche Cup?

Stoffel faster than Fernando :o 

• The topic was pinned