• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONMEBOL WCQ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Always been average to OK at club level but at every national team he's been at he's been top class.

Respectfully disagree with him being just 'Ok' with us but agree he's Top Class internationally.

Really hope Uruguay make it to the World Cup and flourish under him. Playing some great Football and look to have put faith in a younger team.

Would be exciting to see more competition from South America in a big tournament other than Argentina and Brazil.

Just now, Lucas said:

Respectfully disagree with him being just 'Ok' with us but agree he's Top Class internationally.

Really hope Uruguay make it to the World Cup and flourish under him. Playing some great Football and look to have put faith in a younger team.

Would be exciting to see more competition from South America in a big tournament other than Argentina and Brazil.

He was very good at Leeds but he has been average at his other clubs. Meanwhile at Argentina, Chile and now Uruguay he has done excellent jobs.

Messi's dribbling at 36 is ridiculous. 

He's still got it.

Brazil vs Argentina will be an interesting fixture. Argentina are the better side currently but anything can happen in that game, especially when it's held in Brazil.

The South American qualifiers are the only good thing about the international break.

On 18/11/2023 at 00:08, Lucas said:

He did well at Athletic Bilbao too. They only lost the Europa final to a top Atlético side under Simeone, but beat big clubs on their route to the final, including schooling Man United home and away. Unfortunately it was short lived and he can lose his head, which is one of his negative traits.

Top manager in general though. Uruguay have the team there to go far and he is the man they needed.

6 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Messi's dribbling at 36 is ridiculous. 

He's still got it.

Brazil vs Argentina will be an interesting fixture. Argentina are the better side currently but anything can happen in that game, especially when it's held in Brazil.

The South American qualifiers are the only good thing about the international break.

He did well at Athletic Bilbao too. They only lost the Europa final to a top Atlético side under Simeone, but beat big clubs on their route to the final, including schooling Man United home and away. Unfortunately it was short lived and he can lose his head, which is one of his negative traits.

Top manager in general though. Uruguay have the team there to go far and he is the man they needed.

My worry about Bielsa is if they can actually win the World Cup. Uruguay have a squad good enough for that and nobody will convince me otherwise, but at the end of the day, there is a stat that does go against that.

There has never been a foreign manager that won the World Cup. That is history, but it also speaks for needing to fully understand a countries football culture and if that culture is truly effective enough to work at a world stage.

I think in Uruguay's case, they have an Argentine manager and they both understand each other very well. It is right across the river after all.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Brazil and Argentina tomorrow. Brazil coming from two defeats versus Uruguay and Colombia. 

I am really pessimistic, especially with Diniz sticking with a formation with only two midfielders. 

Hopefully, Endrick gets some playing time. That's all I am hoping for. 

It is the first time I genuinely feel Brazil could lose at home in qualifying.

On 20/11/2023 at 11:45, Goku de la Boca said:

My worry about Bielsa is if they can actually win the World Cup. Uruguay have a squad good enough for that and nobody will convince me otherwise, but at the end of the day, there is a stat that does go against that.

There has never been a foreign manager that won the World Cup. That is history, but it also speaks for needing to fully understand a countries football culture and if that culture is truly effective enough to work at a world stage.

I think in Uruguay's case, they have an Argentine manager and they both understand each other very well. It is right across the river after all.

Their attack is less than inspiring. 

9 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Disagree. At least as of this year Núñez has been excellent. He isn’t Suarez but I still rate him and his work rate.

Right. but as far as winning a world cup goes you are going to need a far better attack vs relying on the mad man that is Nunez. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Right. but as far as winning a world cup goes you are going to need a far better attack vs relying on the mad man that is Nunez. 

I firmly believe he is good enough, but mostly because international squads are more limited than clubs, especially nowadays where the gap seems to be split between teams that have a few stars and others that have 1 or 2 and the rest in serviceable players. I cannot speak for him at Liverpool but I've very much liked what he's shown at Uruguay in terms of his speed. 

You won't see any team like Manchester City in international football. The only example of a stacked squad right now are France and maybe Brazil. The rest have some depth problems I think.

We HAVE to win tonight, not only because the Venezuelans are getting smug against a team they've never been able to beat outside their home in history (this includes in Copa Americas), also because we're gonna have a massive mountain to climb in order to get to an inopportune playoff spot if we lose, if we even manage to come back to reach that.