talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Offside Rule

football forum

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Agree it needs to be changed but this is not the solution.

Is it so hard to just make it so the feet determines everything?

No because you can score with parts of the body that aren't the feet. 

I think you need to clearly see space between the attacker and the last defender for it to be offside. Then there is no subjection, its clear where the player is ahead or not.   It should be obvious to the naked eye in real time,  they shouldn't be slowing the tape down and watching countess angles to decide its a millimetre off.  It goes against the spirit of the game. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

You can't move with your head. I don't agree that leaning into a run has to be seen as bad.

But you can score with your head. Whether you move with it or not is irrelevant. You don't agree with it, fine. But you won't be changing the laws of the game or something as contentious as the offside rule just because you don't agree with it. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

They should just introduce the automated system that was in play at the World Cup - job done.

100% agree. PL are arseholes for downright refusing to even trial it despite seeing how good it was at the World Cup. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

But you can score with your head. Whether you move with it or not is irrelevant. You don't agree with it, fine. But you won't be changing the laws of the game or something as contentious as the offside rule just because you don't agree with it. 

100% agree. PL are arseholes for downright refusing to even trial it despite seeing how good it was at the World Cup. 

100%, I am not the word of god by any means, but I just think not being able to lean onto a run being stupid. There's a lot of people who didn't know that it was any part of your body which you can score with before VAR, and I think there's really not a big deal of a risk if your head is offside.

On 19/11/2023 at 17:51, Redcanuck said:

I think you need to clearly see space between the attacker and the last defender for it to be offside. Then there is no subjection, its clear where the player is ahead or not.   It should be obvious to the naked eye in real time,  they shouldn't be slowing the tape down and watching countess angles to decide its a millimetre off.  It goes against the spirit of the game. 

Yeah bit how much space? With var the law needs to be black and white.  There isn't really much subjectivity to it. You're offside your offside. The only time it really becomes an issue is when they have to decide when a player is interfering with play. Or if the officials miss an offside. If they didn't check it so much more people would complain if a offside was missed. If officials let it go if it was only a few it millimetres it would create more subjectivity. Personally I would consider changing the offside rule as I don't think a player has any advantage if he's a millimetre ahead. They couldn't tell before with var they can so you are adapting the rules to the current circumstances. But the application of it has to be black and white 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

On 18/11/2023 at 15:22, Goku de la Boca said:

Agree it needs to be changed but this is not the solution.

Is it so hard to just make it so the feet determines everything?

I'd say one foot past is offside, but I agree with feet placement being the qualifying factor of offside or onside. I really don't care if someone is leaning forward or backwards slightingly and the bloody head is offside, that's just ridiculous pedantry.

• Upvote 1