talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 13 - 25-27th November, 2023

football forum

Very open game. Could easily have been a few more for both sides. Watkins with 1 disallowed, for offside. Spurs looked to be taking control & really threatening a 2nd. But Pau with a set piece headed equaliser.

Personally, for Villa, I'd be looking at taking Cash off from his right midfield position. Not been going his way & the crowd are on his back for a tackle on reinjured Bentancur. McGinn to where Cash has been. Put Bailey on, risk going with a full front 3. But, at this stage, I'll still back whatever Unai does.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Very open game. Could easily have been a few more for both sides. Watkins with 1 disallowed, for offside. Spurs looked to be taking control & really threatening a 2nd. But Pau with a set piece headed equaliser.

Personally, for Villa, I'd be looking at taking Cash off from his right midfield position. Not been going his way & the crowd are on his back for a tackle on reinjured Bentancur. McGinn to where Cash has been. Put Bailey on, risk going with a full front 3. But, at this stage, I'll still back whatever Unai does.

Definitely an open game and more goals to come. The game could have had more already, but missed chances and offsides has kept it at 1-1. 

Both teams D’s look like they are really vulnerable. 

It does look like AV will be making a few changes in the 2H.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Spurs should be about 3-0 up, but they ran themselves into the ground first 20 minutes and the performance dipped. Do feel like Villa’s bench, especially after a taxing international break, may win it for them.

The Spurs seem to be dominating the pace so far in the early part of the 2nd Half.

Now that I say that Villa is on the attack.

Honestly wasn’t that impressed by Villa. Think Spurs could have grabbed 2/3 goals early in the first half and another 2 early in the in the second.

But the game went as expected, Spurs ran out of energy and didn’t have anyone to change the game from defence.

I think what was obvious from Spurs’ perspective today away from the flurry of injuries they’ve suffered is that they need a goal scorer outside of Son. Johnson and Kulusevski are both great creators but they lack a clinical edge. Obviously having Maddison in the team would help with that but still, they need another forward that can grab 15+ goals and help put a game like this to bed.

Delighted with that. At least 1 week gate crashing the Top 4. Villa have had problems in some away games. On another day, perhaps with Maddison fit, it could have gone a similar emphatic defeat way. Felt to me the available Spurs players just couldn't quite punish Villa enough. Villa certainly had to trust to luck a fair bit. Son with a hatrick of offsides is crazy. But, against some teams, that is kind of the best Villa can do, right now. Man City & Arsenal at Villa Park soon.

The main thing with the Spurs in this game was Miss Opportunities. Plain and simple. Just a yard offsides 3 times cost the Spurs 3 goals and there were at least 3 other missed goal opportunities. 

The woes for the Spurs should continue in week 14 as the match up against Man City. Could end up with 4 L’s in a row.

47 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Spurs play some nice stuff going forward, credit to Ange for keeping his model and not tweaking just because it is the premier league.   The players look to enjoy the high press,  even though it is risky,  the players work really hard off the ball. 

It has been interesting seeing Big Ange & Unai emerge as new cool, trendy name managers pundits like to talk of. Often as being just below only Pep & Klopp sort of way. And both have done well to this point. 

• Subscriber

Hard to fault the performance apart from the finishing. 

United have been absolute toilet as expected. Play that half another 50 times and they wouldn't have finished it in the lead once. A freak goal to concede and a series of chances we should have finished at least one of at the other end. They're here waiting to get beaten, go and do it.

Referee has been shite as well.

This is an unrelated question to the game at hand. I have heard that the league has taken 10 points away from Everton putting them in the position of possible regulation. My question is this the first time actual points have been taken away from a team in such a severe manner and also has the club been fined for what they did?

I would feel a really strong fine against the club would be warranted, but to take away that many points that the team earned and the players earned is quite severe. The possibility of being regulated is another thing as well , although I don’t think that will come to be.

4 minutes ago, Hotspur Hannah said:

This is an unrelated question to the game at hand. I have heard that the league has taken 10 points away from Everton putting them in the position of possible regulation. My question is this the first time actual points have been taken away from a team in such a severe manner and also has the club been fined for what they did?

I would feel a really strong fine against the club would be warranted, but to take away that many points that the team earned and the players earned is quite severe. The possibility of being regulated is another thing as well , although I don’t think that will come to be.

I heard somewhere a few days ago that Portsmouth & Middlesbrough both had points deductions in the Premier League. I think both of those were standard 9 points deductions, for 'going into administration'.

But this is the first to do with modern 'financial fair play' rules. And the most points. I also heard a defence of points deductions punishments, that if a club owner is happy to take the financial hit, then points deductions are a more effective deterrent.

• The topic was unpinned