talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualifiers (CONMEBOL) October 5th and October 10th

football forum

How is it Sampaoli's fault though? His mistake was putting the wrong lineups but he's had 4 key games to get it right. His fault was taking the job at that stage.

I can guarantee I'd Sampaoli had a few friendless rather than just 1, then he would have done a much better job.

In the end though, Sabella did well to leave the job. The generation is ending and a bunch of mugs are coming through. Argentina missing the World Cup would be a wake up call for the AFA, or as we say here in Peru, para que se desaweben.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be honest if Argentina do qualify(which I don't see happening now as Ecuador, despite having nothing to play for, are no mugs) then Sampaoli does have the players, he just doesn't call the right ones up or start the right ones.Dybala needs bleeding into the side and Higuain should be re-called.

I'm not sure why you'd call up the majority of the players who started the other night? A very average bunch and I even think @Berserker would have been a better option than most of them. Higuain up front with Messi behind him and Dybala on the right(with Di Maria sat on the bench getting splinters in his arse) would make more sense.

Sampaoli has been a huge disappointment like i have mentioned before. Dybala has been shit in all the matches he played so the gnome is doing the right thing by sitting him in the bench, but Di Maria has been shit since he injuried himself in the WC, he should have been out of the starting 11 since long time ago, and Higuain should obviously be given his shirt back instead of these clowns that have been put on his place. Also Sampaoli insists on not calling fullbacks apart from Mercado and Casco (who is a useless clown like Garce was with Maradona) playing with a defence of 3 and using Fazio who is another one who's been shit. I'd put Pezzella and Mammana as the CBS since Garay is not available and Funes Mori in injured. And i'd give Paredes a chance in the middle, perhaps use a 4-3-3 with Higuain, Messi and someone like Papu Gomez or Lanzini on the left. 

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

How is it Sampaoli's fault though? His mistake was putting the wrong lineups but he's had 4 key games to get it right. His fault was taking the job at that stage.

I can guarantee I'd Sampaoli had a few friendless rather than just 1, then he would have done a much better job.

In the end though, Sabella did well to leave the job. The generation is ending and a bunch of mugs are coming through. Argentina missing the World Cup would be a wake up call for the AFA, or as we say here in Peru, para que se desase en.

That's not even a word much less a phrase, you need to take some Spanish classes if you intend on speaking it.

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Sampaoli has been a huge disappointment like i have mentioned before. Dybala has been shit in all the matches he played so the gnome is doing the right thing by sitting him in the bench, but Di Maria has been shit since he injuried himself in the WC, he should have been out of the starting 11 since long time ago, and Higuain should obviously be given his shirt back instead of these clowns that have been put on his place. Also Sampaoli insists on not calling fullbacks apart from Mercado and Casco (who is a useless clown like Garce was with Maradona) playing with a defence of 3 and using Fazio who is another one who's been shit. I'd put Pezzella and Mammana as the CBS since Garay is not available and Funes Mori in injured. And i'd give Paredes a chance in the middle, perhaps use a 4-3-3 with Higuain, Messi and someone like Papu Gomez or Lanzini on the left. 

That's not even a word much less a phrase, you need to take some Spanish classes if you intend on speaking it.

I edited it mate. I said "desawebate" which we only use here and I think Chile. It basically means wake the fuck up.

I forgot about Mamana. More than deserves a chance. I honestly like him more than Otamendi.

So @Berserker while you're here, and I apologize if this is a silly question. Any thoughts on the game? Would you take missing a World Cup to start from scratch or is it too much embarrassment for the people there?

Best of luck mate. As important as you are to us here to represent CONMEBOL, i have to cheer against you on Tuesday. This is a dream for us and if it goes downhill and we miss out it won't end well for anyone here. Not the journalists, nor the spirit nor the FPF.

I can't stop thinking on the game on Tuesday. :(

This is a dream and I can't imagine the heartbreak in the whole nation if we fail to accomplish the task.

Iquitos which is a city in the Amazon the other day.

Just now, SirBalon said:

For one to accomplish something, another suffers heartbreak. One is not bigger than the other, no heartbreak is more painful than someone else’s and whoever goes through will have deserved it. 

We want it more than Colombia though.

I'm not saying Colombia don't want it mind, they are going to give it their all on Tuesday. We on the other hand have been waiting almost 40 years. If Colombia misses out, it will be more disappointment than "heartbreak" I'd say.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

We want it more than Colombia though.

I'm not saying Colombia don't want it mind, they are going to give it their all on Tuesday. We on the other hand have been waiting almost 40 years. If Colombia misses out, it will be more disappointment than "heartbreak" I'd say.

We’re talking football fans here. To measure the pain each collective fanbase feels requires a very intelligent person with many many pointless stats on offer. 

I get that you guys have been waiting for a long time but football fans don’t see it that way. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

We’re talking football fans here. To measure the pain each collective fanbase feels requires a very intelligent person with many many pointless stats on offer. 

I get that you guys have been waiting for a long time but football fans don’t see it that way. 

I don't get your point. 

We are a huge football nation and if we fail to get to the World Cup, don't you think it will be disastrous for us? 

Colombia don't want to miss the world cup, I get that. They are going to play for their lives on Tuesday. They can afford it more than us though as they've been huge exporters of talent since the 1990's. They recently qualified for 2014, so they won't have huge groups of fans in every country like we did in Buenos Aires.

As for us... we're the worst exporters of talent in South America. We have only 5 players in Mexico for example, where as Colombia have how many? We're a good team but we will never be a proper name in football without the world cup. The Copa America isn't enough. 

Where I'm going with this is simple: if we reach the 2018 world cup, we can afford to miss the next one depending on how we would perform next year in Russia as that will increase our profile in the football world (the FIFA rankings also help). If we fail to qualify after coming so close for the first time in 40 years, there will be outrage. The whole process will be criticized and thrown out the window and we will likely go another 20-40 years without a world cup. I think 1998 was a perfect example of this. We were in the same position before losing 4-0 in Santiago to Chile, and since then the teams we've had haven't really kicked off. We've had some very good players this century and teams good enough to qualify but the whole federation was a mess. Hence, we hardly put in a fight in any qualifier until this time around.

I think the 2006 team sums it up. Around that time we had Pizarro, Farfan, Guerrero, Solano, Palacios, Butron Alberto Rodriguez, Santiago Acasiete all available and what we got were teams that probably would fight relegation in the championship. It was embarrassing. The process we have now has been working excellently. If we reach the world cup, a new era will begin. If we fail to get to Russia, then we'll have to wait a good time again. I'm almost sure that is what is going to happen.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't get your point. 

It seems you're making more of this than what I actually said.  Infact you've used this opportunity and my post to write more sentimental stuff on how much it means to Peruvians.  Which in fairness I understand, but like I said...  Each set of fans feels the heartbreak and to measure heartbreaks requires someone more than you or me.  You're Peruvian and you talk for how it feels for you and how in your good judgement as a Peruvian it feels for the nation's football fans.

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

Colombia don't want to miss the world cup, I get that.

Stupid statement and skipped a few lines after that start mate.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

As for us... we're the worst exporters of talent in South America. We have only 5 players in Mexico for example, where as Colombia have how many? We're a good team but we will never be a proper name in football without the world cup. The Copa America isn't enough. 

Where I'm going with this is simple: if we reach the 2018 world cup, we can afford to miss the next one depending on how we would perform next year in Russia as that will increase our profile in the football world (the FIFA rankings also help). If we fail to qualify after coming so close for the first time in 40 years, there will be outrage. The whole process will be criticized and thrown out the window and we will likely go another 20-40 years without a world cup. I think 1998 was a perfect example of this. We were in the same position before losing 4-0 in Santiago to Chile, and since then the teams we've had haven't really kicked off. We've had some very good players this century and teams good enough to qualify but the whole federation was a mess. Hence, we hardly put in a fight in any qualifier until this time around.

Did my statement merit all this stuff?

And? So?  Ok...  Interesting about the exports and all of that.

Still...  We're talking about qualifying for a World Cup and the sentiments of fans.  They ALL feel heartbroken at missing out on the championships because that's the minimum that should be expected of a decent footballing nation.

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think the 2006 team sums it up. Around that time we had Pizarro, Farfan, Guerrero, Solano, Palacios, Butron Alberto Rodriguez, Santiago Acasiete all available and what we got were teams that probably would fight relegation in the championship. It was embarrassing. The process we have now has been working excellently. If we reach the world cup, a new era will begin. If we fail to get to Russia, then we'll have to wait a good time again. I'm almost sure that is what is going to happen.

Like I said...  If you qualify, you'll have deserved it.  If you don't you won't and those who do will have deserved it.  You're in poll position though, so you should feel buoyant. ;)

Those below you would rather be in your position.  The pressure is on them.

I think I understand now. Fair enough. I just hope we don't bottle it this time. We're at home against a team who have been underwhelming. The wait is making me suffer!

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think I understand now. Fair enough. I just hope we don't bottle it this time. We're at home against a team who have been underwhelming. The wait is making me suffer!

Argentina are up against a team that have nothing to play for and those teams have no pressure on them and many times produce a result.  

You're playing Colombia aren't you?

They DO have something to play for and that actually benefits you because nerves will be high and it's usually the home team getting past the first 20 minute mark that puts things massively in their favour if the haven't conceded before then.

It's all up for grabs!  Whoever makes it will have deserved it although I hope there's no foul play from the football authorities.

I actually don't agree that they have nothing to play for. Mathematically, Ecuador are out but they'll be wanting to win for honour. Imagine being able to say "we made Argentina miss the World Cup". 

I think that Colombia game will be a battle of Mentalities. We have the more on form players and also the better tactics, so it will be a matter of if they handle the pressure well. If the mentality is currently what Colombia have had traditionally, I think we'll win. If Colombia go into the game with the mentality they had in 2014, it will be a lot tougher. 

Fuck me, I was just chatting with a Colombian and realized I rate our starting XI more than theirs.

Ospina

Arias - Zapata - Sanchez - Fabra

Sanchez - Aguilar

Cuadrado - James - Cardona

Falcao

vs

Guerrero

Flores - Cueva - Carrillo

Tapia - Yotun

Trauco - Rodriguez - Araujo - Corzo

Gallese

If I had to mix the XI's

Gallese

Arias - Rodriguez - Sanchez - Trauco

Tapia - Yotun

Cuadrado - James - Flores

Falcao

Interesting to note. I don't rate Falcao that much over Guerrero either, so no landslide winners. Advincula is better than Arias but knowing Gareca, Aldo Corzo will get the start.

The only position that's better by a landslide is the CM. Tapia is better than a limited Carlos Sanchez and Yotun is miles better than a 36 year old Aguilar playing for Deportivo Cali.

23 hours ago, Blue said:

I actually don't agree that they have nothing to play for. Mathematically, Ecuador are out but they'll be wanting to win for honour. Imagine being able to say "we made Argentina miss the World Cup". 

I think that Colombia game will be a battle of Mentalities. We have the more on form players and also the better tactics, so it will be a matter of if they handle the pressure well. If the mentality is currently what Colombia have had traditionally, I think we'll win. If Colombia go into the game with the mentality they had in 2014, it will be a lot tougher. 

Argentina may offer them some money though to let them win :ph34r:

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Argentina may offer them some money though to let them win :ph34r:

They won't.

The rumour that Argentina bought the WC game vs Peru in 1978 was a lie mind you. The one where we lost 6-0. I've met Peruvian players from that era that told me Peru just performed poorly.

It appears Benedetto is starting for Argentina again. The lineup will be very similar to the other day but Salvio will play on the right. According to Fox Sports Argentina.

@Cicero

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

They won't.

The rumour that Argentina bought the WC game vs Peru in 1978 was a lie mind you. The one where we lost 6-0. I've met Peruvian players from that era that told me Peru just performed poorly.

They're hardly going to admit it if it was true are they xD

2 minutes ago, Toony said:

They're hardly going to admit it if it was true are they xD

He invited me to dinner and trusted me with what he told me. 40 years on I don't think there is much harm in saying anything.

If it was a match from 3 years ago though then he wouldn't say anything.

7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Just 14 seconds sums up everything.

Wow. Normally highlights don't tell me much but jesus, that sums up everything. Literally

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

He invited me to dinner and trusted me with what he told me. 40 years on I don't think there is much harm in saying anything.

If it was a match from 3 years ago though then he wouldn't say anything.

He wouldn't admit it.

There is a calculator on El Comercio here in Peru for the table. I've done a few calculations.

- If one of Paraguay or Argentina lose, we can afford a draw to finish at least 5th. If Paraguay draw, a draw is enough for us but not the case with Argentina unless Chile get battered by Brazil.

- If Chile, Paraguay and Argentina all win, then we have to get the 3 points. With the 3 points regardless of other results will be enough. The 5th/4th place battle with Argentina will depend on goal difference if that's the case.

- If we lose, we have to hope Argentina and Paraguay both do as well. If one of them wins and we lose, we are out.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived