talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Sack Frank De Boer; Hodgson Appointed

15 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

De Boer lasted just 11 league games at Inter Milan so there's probably something more serious than the excuse that Yohan Cabaye can't pass a ball like an Ajax player against ADO Den Haag. Let's image he made it that far at Palace, here are the upcoming fixtures

Southampton (H), Man City (A), Man Utd (A), Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A), West Ham (H), Tottenham (A).

I don't think it is far fetched to claim that after 11 games there is high probability Palace will be bottom three if not bottom of the league. Hodgson or not. Hodgson is coming into quite a precarious situation after just 4 games. They've picked up no points from 3 games against relegation fodder and their fixtures have landed in a way that puts the psychological aspects of the game, their confidence, their belief, in real jeopardy.

This is how good players get relegated. Lets not forget Palace have just scraped 40 points a couple of seasons in a row. It won't take much for that to become 33 points for the season.

Had Parish sacked De Boer with a run of bankers coming up I would think the panic is unwarranted. But part of me thinks there is at least something to it, even if 4 games is daft, De Boer has fucked up against the worst teams in the league. If it was me I would have waited until 1 or 2 of those Manchester games are out of the way, let De Boer take the blame for that and try for a honeymoon against Newcastle and West Ham.

Inter Milan was a completely different scenario,  They were in crisis when he took over, not just the team but the whole club itself, he took over at the worst possible time and also he has never in his life experienced Italian football regarding playing there or having a deep knowledge of this as it is completely the opposite of his own style he was brought up.  That was never ever going to work in a million years at Inter Milan and many people questioned why on earth he took the job in the first place apart from Inter Milan being a big name.       As of the criticism of the players of Palace, his brother Ronald did write an article saying about the training methods Frank  did,  but again i think this is being a professional footballer himself at a high level, it becomes frustrating when you have had the career as a top footballer and then dealing with players that are not at that level.   This is where he was successful at Ajax as he had a structured  coaching team behind, a whole set up of about 6 different coaches doing all kind of things and football people above him who again have the same mindset.  At Inter and at Palace he just went into the job with Orlando Trustfull as his assistant, its just a completely different environment he is used to as he was also shocked that there was no director of Football at Palace also.    It was just the wrong club and the wrong coach, there was too much to change to make de Boer work. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Maybe he's just a crap manager? 

I think Ajax worked for him.  It seems  some managers are more addaptable. Personally I think if he was a decent manager there would have been signs by now but we will see. One thing you have to remember about the Dutch league is Mcklaren won it with Twente I think. Winning it with Ajax wasn't a true test of a great manager.

37 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

De Boer lasted just 11 league games at Inter Milan so there's probably something more serious than the excuse that Yohan Cabaye can't pass a ball like an Ajax player against ADO Den Haag. Let's image he made it that far at Palace, here are the upcoming fixtures

Southampton (H), Man City (A), Man Utd (A), Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A), West Ham (H), Tottenham (A).

I don't think it is far fetched to claim that after 11 games there is high probability Palace will be bottom three if not bottom of the league. Hodgson or not. Hodgson is coming into quite a precarious situation after just 4 games. They've picked up no points from 3 games against relegation fodder and their fixtures have landed in a way that puts the psychological aspects of the game, their confidence, their belief, in real jeopardy.

This is how good players get relegated. Lets not forget Palace have just scraped 40 points a couple of seasons in a row. It won't take much for that to become 33 points for the season.

Had Parish sacked De Boer with a run of bankers coming up I would think the panic is unwarranted. But part of me thinks there is at least something to it, even if 4 games is daft, De Boer has fucked up against the worst teams in the league. If it was me I would have waited until 1 or 2 of those Manchester games are out of the way, let De Boer take the blame for that and try for a honeymoon against Newcastle and West Ham.

Indeed there are problems with Frank De Boer...  They were spoken about when he was given the job and they've been spoken about in other threads where he's been associated with other clubs.  The main factor being that his top moments as an Ajax coach weren't just down to him but to a whole team of people working beside him and behind the scenes.  The moment he got on bad terms with many of them, the house of cards came tumbling down.  He is a good coach but needs everything around him to be in line with the process...  Something Crystal Palace weren't set-up for.  That's why it's all Palace's board's fault and they're to blame because look at the list of coaches and how none of them have anything to do with the other.

What are Palace chasing?  What's the project about!

It took Huddersfield an hour to get far enough up the pitch to win a corner away to West Ham. They beat Palace 3-0.

Paul Clement just got schooled by a man lying in his sick bed in the Wirral using WhatsApp to make tactical changes. Swansea beat Palace 2-0.

De Boer had his pants pulled down. We will never know if he would have been able to pull them back up or not. By what you two are saying it sounds like he is one dimensional and needs helpers to paper over his cracks, so on that basis no, he wouldn't pull his pants back up as put simply he's not good enough to manage Crystal Palace.

32 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It took Huddersfield an hour to get far enough up the pitch to win a corner away to West Ham. They beat Palace 3-0.

Paul Clement just got schooled by a man lying in his sick bed in the Wirral using WhatsApp to make tactical changes. Swansea beat Palace 2-0.

De Boer had his pants pulled down. We will never know if he would have been able to pull them back up or not. By what you two are saying it sounds like he is one dimensional and needs helpers to paper over his cracks, so on that basis no, he wouldn't pull his pants back up as put simply he's not good enough to manage Crystal Palace.

That's how I'm reading it. Basically he has to have everyone around him doing everything for him, otherwise he's crap. 

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Yes, but it was Crystal Palace who employed him. It was Palace who employed how many coaches?

Here we had mere football fans questioning the selection of De Boer and at Crystal Palace the fans would expect they have professionals choosing who is the best man to take them forward.

In my personal view Palace is an example of much of the Prmier League where acquiring coaches and players are in question. The dish of the day is what's at play here! Look how quick Everton backed out of De Boer!

If I were a Palace fan I'd be questioning their board and not so much their countless coaches because in the same vein that they're crap at employing a head coach, I would be wondering the same about the players this board have signed. What's the plan? Because De Boer is gone now, he's history but now they have Roy Hodgson. 

He wasn't even playing the same formation he did at Ajax, he wasn't importing anything tried and tested. Crystal Palace was his tactical play thing. This is a ruthless league, he got his pants pulled down by opponents, not by having Sammy Lee put some cones out at dawn.

It wasn't a toxic combination between De Boer and Parish because he didn't get to have more coaches. It was a toxic combination because he was a tactical moron at the start of the season, which damages the confidence of players, players lose their focus and clinical nature when they are under pressure and his fellow moron Steve Parish decided to pour fuel all over that, ramp up the pressure on his own team. Palace's season could have been so different if the pair of them weren't morons.

It is not a surprise that as soon as they went back to tried and tested ways against Burnley with those players they dominated the game. A bit of bad luck here and there and a lack of confidence led to them missing a few sitters. That lack of confidence shouldn't be there but it is because of De Boer and Parish, not because of Sammy Lee failing to understand the superior Ajax way of life.

de Boer is something that was created in a production line but you need other parts to make it work properly.   I do agree the formation he started at Palace was very strange he went for 3 at the back, this was never ever once done at Ajax, he always stuck with a 4 3 3,  the formation he was trying to copy was from the Ajax team in 1995, with the 3 4 3.   The thing is de Boer is young and learning on his own, maybe he will learn from this but who knows.  

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Off the top of my head I can't see any evidence for that claim among any current premier league club.

Has it even ever happened before?

Don't ask me to back up my sweeping statements with actual evidence :ph34r:.

Swansea tried to go a different way with Bob Bradley last year, ended up replacing him with a British based manager. 

To be fair, I can't think of any more examples off the top of my head as this statement has come from a general feeling of just how things are, so maybe I'm exaggerating or a cunt.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Swansea tried to go a different way with Bob Bradley last year, ended up replacing him with a British based manager. 

To be fair, I can't think of any more examples off the top of my head as this statement has come from a general feeling of just how things are, so maybe I'm exaggerating or a cunt.

Paul Clement is an unproven foreign manager mate, Swansea are Welsh :ph34r:

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Us? xD

Archived