talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ipswich Promoted to the Premier League

Fully deserved as I think they've been in the top 6 for the majority of the season, and when you consider the closest three rivals had better quality players and more money following Premier League relegation, to get automatic promotion after being in League One the previous season is a minor miracle.

Championship team of the season for me. Good luck in the prem.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goal celebrations looked great, the race for promotion is arguably the best thing about English football. It truly open to anyone, and you see that in the celebrations when a team that isn't normally knocking about in the play-offs or automatics finally get there. The race to win the Premier League maybe tougher, but I don't think it means as much in general as the teams involved will always be involved at some point. Barring Leicester obviously.

• Administrator

Definitely will deserved. So happy for them that they saw it through. 195 pts in 2 seasons is insane. 

It's a fantastic achievement.

If you don't know anything about them keep an eye out for Leif Davis. I imagine all the FPL content creators will be jerking over him once they read up on his 'underlying numbers'. Wes Burns has something about him too.

My big worry for them is I see a lot of parallels between them and Vincent Kompany's Burnley. They're impressive going forwards, everyone buys in to the manager, but defensively I'm not sure if the center backs and Hladcky are going to be good enough. Then there's players like Morsy, Luongo, Chaplin who have spent there career being low Championship / very good League One players playing in a system that gets the best out of them that may also struggle.

Hopefully if it is one season and down they look at what Luton have done and set themselves up in a good position where, even if relegated, the long term prospects of the club look healthy.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's a fantastic achievement.

If you don't know anything about them keep an eye out for Leif Davis. I imagine all the FPL content creators will be jerking over him once they read up on his 'underlying numbers'. Wes Burns has something about him too.

My big worry for them is I see a lot of parallels between them and Vincent Kompany's Burnley. They're impressive going forwards, everyone buys in to the manager, but defensively I'm not sure if the center backs and Hladcky are going to be good enough. Then there's players like Morsy, Luongo, Chaplin who have spent there career being low Championship / very good League One players playing in a system that gets the best out of them that may also struggle.

Hopefully if it is one season and down they look at what Luton have done and set themselves up in a good position where, even if relegated, the long term prospects of the club look healthy.

Do you not think that between the fact that they're a relative unknown and the bearpit that Portmand Road will become will give them a good chance of picking points up next season? I think momentum is so important in the first season, remember how good it was for Sheff Utd under Wilder the first time around?

On a side note, I remember watching Burnley earlier in the season and they were just not well drilled defensively, wasn't just a player issue, Kompany's coaching at that point wasn't up to scratch. I think it's taken him most of the season to begin to get it right.

20 hours ago, Danny said:

Do you not think that between the fact that they're a relative unknown and the bearpit that Portmand Road will become will give them a good chance of picking points up next season? I think momentum is so important in the first season, remember how good it was for Sheff Utd under Wilder the first time around?

On a side note, I remember watching Burnley earlier in the season and they were just not well drilled defensively, wasn't just a player issue, Kompany's coaching at that point wasn't up to scratch. I think it's taken him most of the season to begin to get it right.

History suggests with Sheffield United, Southampton and Norwich that they should. Its not as if Bournemouth, Wolves and Fulham have set an incredibly high bench mark on what's needed to compete for a top half finish in modern day football. I guess they'll need to get the balance right with the recruitment so they add quality but don't disrupt dressing room harmony.

Funnily enough I was giving Gary Neville's podcast a listen the other day and back in October he did an interview with Craig Bellamy. Neville asked Bellamy if Burnley would adapt there style if results didn't improve, and Bellamy stated its not the style that's the problem, it's how quick they are to regroup that's letting them down as there's too many pockets for teams to exploit. So it's something they've been working on for some time and just haven't nailed it 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

History suggests with Sheffield United, Southampton and Norwich that they should. Its not as if Bournemouth, Wolves and Fulham have set an incredibly high bench mark on what's needed to compete for a top half finish in modern day football. I guess they'll need to get the balance right with the recruitment so they add quality but don't disrupt dressing room harmony.

Funnily enough I was giving Gary Neville's podcast a listen the other day and back in October he did an interview with Craig Bellamy. Neville asked Bellamy if Burnley would adapt there style if results didn't improve, and Bellamy stated its not the style that's the problem, it's how quick they are to regroup that's letting them down as there's too many pockets for teams to exploit. So it's something they've been working on for some time and just haven't nailed it 

I always felt it was a bit of both, I remember watching Burnley on the opening day thinking their defence was far too naive. Just watching the goals of that City game back, at one point they were defending in a flat 6...it's all well and good having players back but if they're still allowing the opposition the chance to run through acres of space then it's pointless.

To stay up you have to be able to counter-attack, and that generally involves defending well to begin with lol. Thomas Frank almost perfected the counter attack for us, Fulham have a physical defence, sit Paulinha in front and then have the physicality of Mitrovic, Willian and Perriera on the move. Forest have only ever defended the last two seasons and then have relied on the likes of Gibbs-White, Awoniyi, Johnson and Hudson-Odoi to exploit the space. Look at why Bournemouth stayed up last season and why Wolves have been so good, O'Neill plays a brand of football that looks to invite opposition forward before firing through balls behind their defence for their forwards to run onto.

I just think Burnley came into the league too attacking, almost too pro-active. If Ipswich do the same then they will definitely go down, but if they can adjust their style to be solid at the back, set up on the counter then I think they may give people some problems with how interchangeable their forward line is.

Posted (edited)

Congrats to them, they did well to hang on all things considered. I think they rode their luck quite a bit mind and it definitely felt like the EFL bent over backwards to help them out, especially Sky with the TV schedulling, but credit to them for not bottling it when it counted.

Because of the Football they play, they will create chances which is good for them. But they will likely get annihilated defensively. We put 8 past them over two games, can only imagine what others might do. 

The good thing for them is they have the backing to push the boat out a bit and I'd expect them to aim for Championship quality players with a scattering of PL experience and the odd 'foreign' punt. Keeping someone like Omari Hutchinson will be massive for them because others will be lining him up now for sure.

As a PL 'original in the 90's' it's nice to see them make it back given the club carries a fair bit of history too. Always nice to see someone different back and they've been out the frame for a while. Portman Road will be packed out and they'll travel well too. 

Edited by Lucas

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

As a PL 'original in the 90's' it's nice to see them make it back given the club carries a fair bit of history too. Always nice to see someone different back and they've been out the frame for a while. Portman Road will be packed out and they'll travel well too. 

They were always my preferred side to see up instead of Norwich, always enjoyed the story of Marcus and Darren Bent too.

• 2 weeks later...