talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship Play-offs 2023/24

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Watching it back I dont think the entire defence was to blame. Ampadu stepping out to try and win the ball created the gap. Armstrong did well to take that step back to make sure he was onside.

To give Armstrong that much space though is criminal. Should have kept marking Armstrong (or stayed closer) to give time for a midfielder or other player to close the pass down. 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Saints in control of the game really, Leeds have had most of the ball but Southampton have controlled the key moments throughout the game

They've kept Leeds very quiet all game. 

Southampton were slightly the better team on the day and deserve the promotion.

I'm not too concerned for Leeds United long term. They have several players out on loan and whoever they sell out of Meslier, Summerville, Gnonto and Rutter to balance books and create transfer funds. Unless they have a complete car crash of a window I anticipate they'll be fighting again for promotion next season.

Congratulation to Southampton for getting promoted back to the Premier League so soon. They played very well today, but they will need to invest in 2 or 3 new players if they want to be competitive and remain in the Premier League next season. Leeds have a lot of depth in their team, hopefully they will be able to hang on to their key players over the summer. If they can do that, then I think it is very likely they will have another very strong push for promotion next season.

21 hours ago, Rick said:

Leeds falling at the final hurdle yet again. Have to feel for you Lucas, your team has you in turmoil. 

Always. I've never known a club like it. Said we'd choke playoffs and we did.

6 out of 6 now, 3 losing finals, not even scored one goal in any of those finals either. The club is cursed but also carries a losing mentality, much like the England National Team.

Gutted but half expected it. We were poor and lost a final to a side that were extremely beatable on the day. That said, they took their chance and defended like their lives depended on it. Got to admire that and if we did lose out to anyone, at least it was them and not someone whose spunked it being miles behind.

You just knew in this one off season where there were four outstanding teams, we'd be the one to lose out. Of course we'd beat Top 2 home and away, accumulate 90pts and still dodge promotion. It's what we do.

The best thing now is that the club sorts out who is going as soon as so it don't drag on, doesn't dally about with Farke's position and starts rebuilding so that we actually get a team a full pre season and a team in place to start the season in a good position. You look at the names in this league and it feels a bit weaker so who knows.

The first 6/7 weeks of the season without doubt has ended up costing us automatic promotion, it cannot happen again.

Edited by Lucas