Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

FA covers up 'Super White Army' banner at Tranmere Rovers


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

And the hits just keep on coming. From the BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

A "Super White Army" banner was covered up during an England football match after a picture of it was shared online by one of the team's top players.

The sign at Tranmere Rovers' ground was obscured by the FA for the Lionesses' World Cup qualifier on Tuesday, hours after Lucy Bronze shared it online.

Her post received criticism and praise.

Tranmere Rovers Supporters' Club said it did not know why it was covered, adding it was "not remotely racist" and referred to their team's shirts.

England's Lionesses had been embroiled in an ongoing row before the match over discrimination allegations made against the team's manager Mark Sampson, who has since been sacked over an unconnected matter.

The FA confirmed it took down the banner at Prenton Park but said it would be making no further comment.

Supporters' club chairman Mark Bartley said the banner had been on display at the ground since the summer, but the words had "been our motto for years" and the decision to cover it "was a one-off [which] will have no impact on us".

"We are proud of our club colours, as are all fans up and down the country... and will continue to use the chant at our games going forward," he said.

"It is not remotely racist - it is simply a reference to the white shirts that our team wear."

Tranmere Rovers FC declined to comment.

Edited by Large
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.

Superb. Racism is a huge problem in football but simply "name calling" can at times be ignored. 

It obviously also depends on authority as well but I feel the discrimination that needs to be eradicated is what I always mention, preferring players from other nations. There are probably some superb players in Nepal who may only get a semi pro chance at best. 

If you focus only on name calling(and if Cannabis is right that more on that than the other aspects) you're not going to get very far because that is something that can't be eradicated.

In this case, it's just daft really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

BBC Click bait. All club specific motto's and sponsors within camera sight are covered up or replaced for international matches. No evidence at this stage that it had anything to do with race.

 

If that's the case though mate then the FA just have to say that when they was asked about it. Simple enough question, simple enough answer. Nothing to see here. Move on. But to specifically state that it would be making no further comment about it, well I can quite easily see how it can be interpreted in the way the BBC are trying to portray it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Large said:

If that's the case though mate then the FA just have to say that when they was asked about it. Simple enough question, simple enough answer. Nothing to see here. Move on. But to specifically state that it would be making no further comment about it, well I can quite easily see how it can be interpreted in the way the BBC are trying to portray it.

Just looks like a classic comms department message when a journalist phone's up and asks a question to them that they don't know what the answer is.

There's no point covering something up if you then can't educate people as to why it is wrong. That achieves nothing. So if they don't want to do that then there's nothing to see really. Maybe someone hired by the FA wanted it covered up for those purposes and the FA as an organisation don't agree with the decision they made. So no need to make a meal of it, people make mistakes. The FA comms team may find they can't just ignore it as they hoped and may have to say more if the anti-PC babies keep throwing their yogurt all over the floor.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Just looks like a classic comms department message when a journalist phone's up and asks a question to them that they don't know what the answer is.

There's no point covering something up if you then can't educate people as to why it is wrong. That achieves nothing. So if they don't want to do that then there's nothing to see really. The FA comms team may find they can't just ignore it as they hoped and may have to say more since the anti-PC babies are throwing their yogurt all over the floor.

 

Or it could be the pro-PC brigade over reacted, again, over something that is nothing. When the FA staged the England vs. Austalia game at the Boleyn, they didn't remove all of the West Ham related banners then. Although I cannot state that I know that the policy hasn't changed since.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

33__Daniell_Rider_-_This_decor_is_WRONG_on_SO_many_levels__There_is___.thumb.jpg.fad59602f69b258b1eda95928a85f598.jpg

😂😂 I know, its getting ridiculous. 

There you go!  Many will laugh at that but the way things are going it can arrive at a situation such as this.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were some people boycotting cotton because of its American past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Large said:

Or it could be the pro-PC brigade over reacted, again, over something that is nothing. When the FA staged the England vs. Austalia game at the Boleyn, they didn't remove all of the West Ham related banners then. Although I cannot state that I know that the policy hasn't changed since.

Even if that is the case the FA haven't endorsed it. So, so what? People make mistakes. The only people who want to take it further are those desperate to paint this as some sort of indictment of society and rallying of the boys against anything and everything that can ever fall into the category of political correctness.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

What was Lucy Bronze's actual tweet?

a picture from behind the goal. in the distance as you look at the stand opposite, there's a banner which says 'Super White Army' which is Tranmere's nickname.

And with her tweet all it said was 'FYI Super White Army is Tranmere's nickname'.

Nothing offensive at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

BBC Click bait. All club specific motto's and sponsors within camera sight are covered up or replaced for international matches. No evidence at this stage that it had anything to do with race.

 

There was at least one other Tranmere banner on show pretty much right next to it after the one in question was covered up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Even if that is the case the FA haven't endorsed it. So, so what? People make mistakes. The only people who want to take it further are those desperate to paint this as some sort of indictment of society and rallying of the boys against anything and everything that can ever fall into the category of political correctness.

 

But you make the assumption that it was a mistake. If it is then you make a valid point, but if it isn't then this isn't just a nothing story. I can't see how the pro-PC folk are justified in making a case about stopping the singing of the Lukaku song, but the anti-PC folk are just a bunch of nutters if they dare to suggest that something is wrong with something like this if it was removed as a result of political correctness. Needs to be a level playing field no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stan said:

a picture from behind the goal. in the distance as you look at the stand opposite, there's a banner which says 'Super White Army' which is Tranmere's nickname.

And with her tweet all it said was 'FYI Super White Army is Tranmere's nickname'.

Nothing offensive at all. 

Ah, so it wasn't as if she was confused either? How on earth has this become such a big story?

Stewards remove flag, stewards made fuck up, the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem isn’t the error the authorities have committed in all of this. The issue is this is now a part of society which is so politicised where you feel observed all the time.

It’s off topic but it isn’t as you can fathom, but a friend of mine who I went with to softplay the other day (he has a daughter of 2 years and I a son of 1 and a half) with our children and there was a point where he had his daughter on his knees changing her nappy... He felt uncomfortable and I asked him why... He responded with; “I feel this is somehow wrong and I’m being observed” which he was!  I could go on about this! Let’s just leave it here because I’ll get wound up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Sign up to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...