The better place to talk football.

Southampton Win Play-offs for Premier League Promotion

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Devil said:

Will need to invest heavily if they want to stay up, which is something they very rarely do.

I expect them to attempt it on a shoestring again.

They spent over 150m euros the season they got relegated.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

They spent over 150m euros the season they got relegated.

Did they, I was always of the impression they never really invested and banked big sums from transfer fees.

Who did they spend 150 million on?

Edited by Devil

1 minute ago, Devil said:

Did they, I was always of the impression they never really invested and banked big sums from transfer fees.

Who did they spend 150 million on?

Lavia, Bazunu, Edozie, Aribo, Alcatraz, Sulemana, tall Paul, Mara.

Basically a lot of potential but no experience or leaders.

11 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Lavia, Bazunu, Edozie, Aribo, Alcatraz, Sulemana, tall Paul, Mara.

Basically a lot of potential but no experience or leaders.

Barely know a single one of them. 

It will be tough for them, but they have the potential to make the bottom half work a bit more. They were never the same after Ings left. Now they do not have Ward Prowse. And does feel it's been a while since they were finding van Dijk & Mane type players.

I would bet on them to stay up tbh. I don’t think the team they had that went down was that bad, just a bit naive and they had the same manager for too long. A lot of the players there will be ready to step up a level, it’ll be interesting to see the player profiles they sign now and if there are any similarities to when we went up seeing as Ankersen is still DoF.

Posted (edited)

Fair play to Southampton. They beat us three times so you'd have to say that Russell Martin had Farke's number. I don't think they necessarily have a better team than us but tactically they are more astute and do not just rely on individuality like Farke seems to.

They will need to invest but of the three that came up, I'd back them to finish higher over Ipswich and Leicester, assuming the latter get their points deduction. 

Taylor Harwood-Bellis is a class young CB and Walker Peters was the best FB in the Championship quality wise. If they sign him permanantly, Downes is a very tidy midfielder too. Other than that, you've got question marks over a few if they can handle the step up so heavy investment is needed, especially in the forward roles.

Amazing how we've dodged promotion though. Could not have bodged it more, it was literally in our hands and kept getting thrown back to us to finish the job. Just didn't have the minerals.

That International break ruined us completely. You get your day happen at least once but ours seems to always pass us by. If there is another team that deals with as march heartbreak, I'd love to know.

Edited by Lucas