talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Germany 5-1 Scotland - Friday 14th June, 2024

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Angus Gunn is the worst keeper in the tournament. He was terrible in the Championship play off games as well. Tonight isn’t his fault, but he doesn’t incite much confidence. 

That's a bit harsh, he's not that bad. I've seen him have some very good games for Norwich, but I guess in other matches, he hasn't performed as expected. Today isn't his fault, Germany have just been too good for Scotland overall.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's a bit harsh, he's not that bad. I've seen him have some very good games for Norwich, but I guess in other matches, he hasn't performed as expected. Today isn't his fault, Germany have just been too good for Scotland overall.

Every time I’ve watched him he’s been wank. That last goal was poor from him as well. 

Just now, Rick said:

Every time I’ve watched him he’s been wank. That last goal was poor from him as well. 

His sight of the ball was blocked for that 5th goal, he would have seen it late. Plus it was a swerving shot right in the corner. Yes an elite keeper might have saved it, but many keepers wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

His sight of the ball was blocked for that 5th goal, he would have seen it late. Plus it was a swerving shot right in the corner. Yes an elite keeper might have saved it, but many keepers wouldn't.

I would have caught it and got it away quickly on the counter which ends in a goal. No doubt.  

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9526ne6laoamkppwfai6u0

You must be happy with that start Tommy. Okay you'll face tougher teams coming up, but what a start with all those goals. Hungary and Switzerland will be tougher matches, but Germany could still end up winning all their group games given the quality that they have. Germany definitely have the potential to win this competition, even though I still think that England and France remain the favourites.

Just now, Michael said:

You must be happy with that start Tommy. Okay you'll face tougher teams coming up, but what a start with all those goals. Hungary and Switzerland will be tougher matches, but Germany could still end up winning all their group games given the quality that they have. Germany definitely have the potential to win this competition, even though I still think that England and France remain the favourites.

Yea, I'm pretty relieved as I was unsure what to expect. But I saw a lot of positives today. Especially Wirtz and Musiala were a joy to watch. Gündogan had his first good game for Germany in ages. He's such a great player, but somehow we always failed to really bring him to life for Germany. 

And Füllkrug. What a striker to have up your sleeve. Anyway, not time to get carried away. Hungary and especially Switzerland could be much more of a threat. But hopefully that first win brings some sort of positive momentum to the team. 

I honestly didn't expect to be that invested in it, but earlier today I got really excited about the Euros. xD

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Switzerland will be a tougher test. Whether that's true for Hungary also is yet to be seen.

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I'm pretty relieved as I was unsure what to expect. But I saw a lot of positives today. Especially Wirtz and Musiala were a joy to watch. Gündogan had his first good game for Germany in ages. He's such a great player, but somehow we always failed to really bring him to life for Germany. 

And Füllkrug. What a striker to have up your sleeve. Anyway, not time to get carried away. Hungary and especially Switzerland could be much more of a threat. But hopefully that first win brings some sort of positive momentum to the team. 

I honestly didn't expect to be that invested in it, but earlier today I got really excited about the Euros. xD

I just suddenly got really excited about the Euros earlier today as well, lol. Especially as it's being hosted in Germany, it has a special feel to it, as you guys always get things spot on in terms of hosting such competitions. 

As for the German team, I think they have a good balance to the team. The midfield and attack look excellent. But I think the defence will be tested more by the stronger sides. Rudiger is a rock in defence, Kimmich is class at right-back. But I think Mittelstadt could potentially be a weak link, although he does play excellently on many occasions. Tah as well, could be tested to the limits against the top forwards. I know Tah had a great season in that awesome Leverkusen side, but I've never been his biggest fan. He can be cumbersome at times. 

Anyway, good luck to Germany and that was an entertaining game this evening. I enjoyed this opening match of Euro 2024.

Edited by Michael
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Switzerland will be a tougher test. Whether that's true for Hungary also is yet to be seen.

I think both Switzerland and Hungary will be sterner tests for Germany than Scotland were. Both teams look strong in most of their positions, the same can't be said for Scotland.

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber

Really promising start, hard to ask for much more. Wirtz and Musiala will have to keep going but as Tommy mentioned the real surprise was Gundogan and it was great to see. Solid performance to build upon, allot to like.

• The title was changed to Germany 5-1 Scotland - Friday 14th June, 2024
9 hours ago, Michael said:

There's no getting round it, he's terrible. The lack of experience excuse people gave him when Norwich were last in The Premier League has worn off now and it's become increasingly clear he's in the position he is in at Norwich through nepotism. If he joined a Championship side that were in the relegation scrap I doubt they'd be excited.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Thankfully for Scotland one win should get you out the group in this dull format and you'd imagine them not to lose focus against two lesser teams in Switzerland and Hungary given how poor they were last night.

It's highly unlikely that only 1 win is enough to get you out of a group. Especially with Scotland, seeing as they have a terrible goal difference now, because they got trounced 5-1 by Germany yesterday. Even Scotland manager Clarke said after the defeat, the target is to get at least 4 points. So that's a win and a draw in their remaining matches. 

Switzerland and Hungary though are two very tough teams, so I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland finish bottom of this group with zero points. 

Scotland have several weak spots in their team, particularly Ralston. He looked out of his depth and he was constantly being beaten by the German players. Ralston has only made a starting spot because of injuries to Nathan Pattterson and Aaron Hickey. Switzerland and Hungary are stronger and more well balanced teams.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

There's no getting round it, he's terrible. The lack of experience excuse people gave him when Norwich were last in The Premier League has worn off now and it's become increasingly clear he's in the position he is in at Norwich through nepotism. If he joined a Championship side that were in the relegation scrap I doubt they'd be excited.

The neptism claims would have to be proven. As for his performances, he's obviously not an elite keeper, but to say he's terrible is very harsh. I've seen him have some very good games for both Norwich and for Scotland. He's had other games where he's not been so good. But even the very elite keepers have bad days and make the odd howler now and then. In yesterday's match, I'd say he wasn't to blame for any of the goals, except maybe the 1st goal from Wirtz. But even then Wirtz's shot was whipped in at goal with good power. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's highly unlikely that only 1 win is enough to get you out of a group. Especially with Scotland, seeing as they have a terrible goal difference now, because they got trounced 5-1 by Germany yesterday. Even Scotland manager Clarke said after the defeat, the target is to get at least 4 points. So that's a win and a draw in their remaining matches. 

It's more likely than in previous tournaments. Also head to head with the team you're level with is the tie-breaker as opposed to goal difference. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's more likely than in previous tournaments. Also head to head with the team you're level with is the tie-breaker as opposed to goal difference. 

Okay, I see, I didn't know that. I guess that makes being thrashed against strong opposition, not so much of a big deal. Having this rule, doesn't encourage the underdogs to shut up shop and go ultra-defensive when they've already conceded 1 or 2 goals against the top teams. I can see it encouraging them to still try and attack, with the hope of pulling something back.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Okay, I see, I didn't know that. I guess that makes being thrashed against strong opposition, not so much of a big deal. Having this rule, doesn't encourage the underdogs to shut up shop and go ultra-defensive when they've already conceded 1 or 2 goals against the top teams. I can see it encouraging them to still try and attack, with the hope of pulling something back.

Well, if Scotland will finish on 3rd spot, which is the best they can hope for, since Switzerland are vastly superior judging them on yesterday, than it's goal difference for them to decide which 3rd team advance , when on the same points. So it's not that much of s small deal.