talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Croatia 1-1 Italy - Monday 24th June, 2024

I just googled it they did beat them on 1942. So they haven't beaten them since they gained independence in the 90s. Not to sure if they the 1942 game was an official friendly as it was played during ww2. And I don't think croatia had independence then 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

16 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I just googled it they did beat them on 1942. So they haven't beaten them since they gained independence in the 90s. Not to sure if they the 1942 game was an official friendly as it was played during ww2. And I don't think croatia had independence then 

Croatia had independance then. Germany dissolved the former kingdom of Yudgoslavia, when they invaded it,and formed the states of Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia.Croatian Ustasa government was a very close ally to the Axis powers. Always perplexed how little most Britons know about their opponents during WWII, given how proud they're about their part in the Allied forces win.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Croatia had independance then. Germany dissolved the former kingdom of Yudgoslavia, when they invaded it,and formed the states of Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia.Croatian Ustasa government was a very close ally to the Axis powers. Always perplexed how little most Britons know about their opponents during WWII, given how proud they're about their part in the Allied forces win.:ph34r:

Independence is kind of a weird way of phrasing it too! 

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

Independence is kind of a weird way of phrasing it too! 

Independance is kind of weird, sovereignity would have been a weirder way. Statehood is probably the best way to describe it.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

This should be an interesting match. Croatia retain the experienced midfield and bring back Pongracic in defence. Kramaric, who was the man of the match against Albania in their last match, is selected as the main centre-forward ahead of Budimir and Petkovic, as to opposed to playing on the left of the attack, as he did against Albania and Spain. While Gvardiol plays at left-back.

Italy look decent, with Raspadori and Retegi up front for them. Barella will be key in midfield for them. May the best team win.

Makes you wonder why they've sat back when they are capable of putting Croatia under this much pressure.

If Croatia hang on they only have themselves to blame. That said I think they will score.

8 minutes ago, Devil said:

Makes you wonder why they've sat back when they are capable of putting Croatia under this much pressure.

If Croatia hang on they only have themselves to blame. That said I think they will score.

It's going to be tough for Italy to find that equaliser against this very experienced Croatian side. But I agree with you, they should have pressed more before they conceded that goal from Croatia.

Danny Murphy saying the same as me, why does it take goal for Italy to actually play.

They'd have won if they'd started more positive. 

Not over yet though.