talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(R16) Austria 1-2 Turkey - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024

Battle of Karansebes was fought as part of the Austro-Turkish wars. The Austrian army, stationed in anticipation of the Turkish attack, was made up of soldiers of different linguistic backgrounds. Night before the battle, some Austrian soldiers sneaked in alcohol and overtime everyone became drunk. Not understanding each other's language, the drunk Austrian soldiers had a fight which turned into a mass brawl and eventually 10,000 Austrian soldiers died in the ensuing violence. 

This makes it the worst case of friendly fire in history. When Turkish soldiers came the following day, expecting a heavy fight, they found everyone was dead already and took the city without doing anything. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Karánsebes

I have Austria winning this as I've liked what I've seen of them. But two work colleagues of mine are saying that Turkey have played better and are a better team than Austria. I just disagree with them though, Austria look good. I've particularly been impressed with Sabitzer and Baumgartner at these Euros so far.

I think Austria will win this. Turkey without their Captain Calhanoglu and their best center back Akaydin is a big loss. Austria has more quality players in depth. But you never know. Turkey can be mentality monsters. xD

• The title was changed to (R16) Austria 0-1 Turkey - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024

Turkey really surprising me so far. They seem very well prepared and tactically disciplined. That early goal helped, but even after that they defend brilliantly without sitting back though. Nice. 

Gonna be interesting to see if Austria come up with an answer in the 2nd half. 

Just now, Tommy said:

Turkey really surprising me so far. They seem very well prepared and tactically disciplined. That early goal helped, but even after that they defend brilliantly without sitting back though. Nice. 

Gonna be interesting to see if Austria come up with an answer in the 2nd half. 

Yeah, I think that early goal was a huge help. I am a little disappointed with Austria though, I expected more from them in the 1st half.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I think Austria will win this. Turkey without their Captain Calhanoglu and their best center back Akaydin is a big loss. Austria has more quality players in depth. But you never know. Turkey can be mentality monsters. xD

Is he their best defender? He was terrible in the group stage, he made huge errors in defence.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Is he their best defender? He was terrible in the group stage, he made huge errors in defence.

I don't know to be honest. Kicker said he's their defensive "boss". I don't have a clue. xD

• The title was changed to (R16) Austria 0-2 Turkey - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024
  • The title was changed to (R16) Austria 1-2 Turkey - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024