talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Anton said:

Forza Sheep Shaggers. Hope they cause an upset. Will be checking the result at work.

Tbf I thought about it and you got the better end of the deal. New Zealand are better than Honduras.

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

Making excuses? Your boys will win 2-0. Anything less is disappointing. 

I bloody hope so. No excuses will be made if we lose, but yes it will be a colossal failure.

Just now, Stan said:

we'll see xD 

I expect you to win to be honest. 

At worst I'll probably say that we're still better than New Zealand but I won't say things like "the pitch didn't help" or anything like that.

There is no way in hell New Zealand can win in the real world...

The only benefit New Zealand have is that there's absolutely no pressure on them at all and they can go out there and enjoy the moment.  IF they can hold out till half time 0-0 or even 1-0 down, then Perú will start to feel the nerves by playing at home and knowing they're underachieving.  Then anything can happen in football.

But a 4-0 or 5-0 will be normal for the difference in sides.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The only benefit New Zealand have is that there's absolutely no pressure on them at all and they can go out there and enjoy the moment.  IF they can hold out till half time 0-0 or even 1-0 down, then Perú will start to feel the nerves by playing at home and knowing they're underachieving.  Then anything can happen in football.

Well Peru didn't even win in New Zealand. Chris Wood didn't start. If he starts they may be able to sneak a goal. Don't forget they went undefeated at the 2010 World Cup... but expect 2-0.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'd say 3-0 or 3-1 is more accurate. Peru has always struggled as a match favourite. We're better as the underdog.

Just now, Anton said:

Well Peru didn't even win in New Zealand. Chris Wood didn't start. If he starts they may be able to sneak a goal. Don't forget they went undefeated at the 2010 World Cup... but expect 2-0.

To be fair, New Zealand were excellent tactically in that match but that still doesn't excuse the laziness of some of our players. Mostly from Andre Carrillo. We also missed a few sitters. 

They are an awful side though. I think we had 70% posession? Doesn't mean much but they couldn't string together more than 2 passes before Tapia or Rodriguez showed up to intercept it.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

To be fair, New Zealand were excellent tactically in that match but that still doesn't excuse the laziness of some of our players. Mostly from Andre Carrillo. We also missed a few sitters. 

They are an awful side though. I think we had 70% posession? Doesn't mean much but they couldn't string together more than 2 passes before Tapia or Rodriguez showed up to intercept it.

Possession doesn't mean goals - just ask italy 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

New Zealand play fishermen on their day off to qualify for this play-off mate!!!

I think you're being a bit harsh. In a way, I can see what you're saying. They don't seem very serious since arriving here in Lima, but they have a few players in the PL that aren't exactly mugs.

However, based off what I saw in the first leg, we have to win. Again, we hardly let them have the ball. They could only hoof it up and hope for the best. We're a lot more technical. Now its a matter of who can kick it in the back of the net.

Just now, Anton said:

Possession doesn't mean goals - just ask italy 😂😂😂

Yeah, it doesn't. My point was though that their build up play is absolutely null.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

but they have a few players in the PL that aren't exactly mugs.

Yep...  There's loads of players in the Premier League but I don't know what that means.  Maybe it's an aura you lot get over there.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

However, based off what I saw in the first leg, we have to win. Again, we hardly let them have the ball. They could only hoof it up and hope for the best. We're a lot more technical. Now its a matter of who can kick it in the back of the net.

Perú have no excuses because not only are your players more seasoned in competition and more adept to having to battle to win games.  You have gone through a rigorous qualification campaign and anything other than qualifying in my view should mean that the whole Perú squad should leave the country and never return.  I'm not even joking there!

If you don't win you aren't better than them. This is the proof in the pudding!

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yep...  There's loads of players in the Premier League but I don't know what that means.  Maybe it's an aura you lot get over there.

Perú have no excuses because not only are your players more seasoned in competition and more adept to having to battle to win games.  You have gone through a rigorous qualification campaign and anything other than qualifying in my view should mean that the whole Perú squad should leave the country and never return.  I'm not even joking there!

If you don't win you aren't better than them. This is the proof in the pudding!

I disagree with that last line.

Its not always the best who wins, sometimes its the smartest. For me, Atletico Madrid weren't better than Bayern when they knocked them out in the semi-finals but they did well in outwitting Guardiola.

Unless New Zealand batter us, I won't be convinced we're worst. I will just convinced that its an embarrassment and we have no excuses to make.

I also think Chile are better than us but we were smarter in qualification and that's why were here and they aren't. That simple. I agree on the second paragraph though. Given how hard we've worked to qualify in the hardest continent in the world, it would be ridiculous if we can't beat these. This isn't Australia 2006.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived