Monday 14th October, 2024
Iceland vs Turkey
Wales vs Montenegro

image.png

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always understood why southgate played a bit defensive at times. They always looked vulnerable at the back I thought. When you aren't at your best it can be better to be defensive. At times I think England got though games playing like that. We had some really poor games in the euros when the players looked tired but we got through them. I think if we played those games and the players were tired and we played this open we would have lost. And you can't accuse me of saying this in hindsight as  I said it  when southgate was in charge. 

Thankfully did not have to watch this one in full. Crazy looking starting 11. Yes, many were craving a return to the days when England fielded line ups that intended to win by outscoring the opponent. But, Rice as the only midfielder? Saka, Gordon and Palmer all starting? It's a tough choice, but there really is only space for 2 of them. With Bellingham & Foden still together? Again, I think the tough choice is one or the other.

Watkins or Solanke (or Kane or DCL) ahead of Foden. Gomes or Gallagher (or Mainoo) ahead of Palmer. Because tactics. Would be bold & sensible choices to me.

Carsley's just dropped drastically for me. School boy team selection is not going to cut it.

• Subscriber

I only saw the last half hour but England looked even worse than they did during the Euros. Almost bailed out by individual quality again.

Carsley's tactical approach was clearly a bit rogue. He doesn't have the experience to manage the players and egos in that England squad.

You need a proper manager if you want to get the best out of Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, etc. all in the same team. It's certainly do-able. Southgate and Carsley are not close to that standard as managers though.

Ukraine are leading Georgia 1-0 at half-time in Poland. Mudryk scored Ukraine's goal, as he collected the ball near the left flank, he then went on a slaloming run, where he cut inside and skipped past about 3 challenges, before he shot from outside the area and found the bottom hand corner of the Georgian net. It was a lovely solo goal by Mudryk and no less than Ukraine deserved, as they had the better of the 1st half.

Ukraine 1-0 Georgia

Much more sensible looking England line up & a much better performance. Not exactly top gear England. But maybe as much as it needs in this UEFA Friendly but with possible implications League. I think that formation with the available players that tactically fit it best is as good as it can get.

Perhaps a bit lucky Teemu Pukki is 34 & only came on as a sub. He still looked Finland's best attacking player.

54 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Much more sensible looking England line up & a much better performance. Not exactly top gear England. But maybe as much as it needs in this UEFA Friendly but with possible implications League. I think that formation with the available players that tactically fit it best is as good as it can get.

Perhaps a bit lucky Teemu Pukki is 34 & only came on as a sub. He still looked Finland's best attacking player.

I thought it was OK for what it is. I'm sure players always want to win but it's not a major tournament it's more of a league Cup of international football. Against Greece we were so open. Finlands chances came more from individual mistakes, not the formation like the other day.

To be fair to carlsley he did change it. He didn't just stick with something that didn't work which shows adaptability.