talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 11th April - Real Madrid (4) 1-3 (3) Juventus (QF 2nd Leg)

12 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

hey, this is what the UCL knockout stages are all about --- REFEREES !!!

This is precisely why VAR-in-game should be implemented across the board in all of professional football.

Fair is fair, ain't nothin more fair than VAR. No agendas, cold, dispassionate, balanced, fair.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Have you even watched the match? The original injury time was 3 minutes, and the penalty was awarded around the 2 minute mark. Due to all the commotion surrounding the penalty, Buffon getting sent off and the reserve goalkeeper whose name I can't spell being substituted on, it took about 4-5 minutes before Ronaldo actually got to take the penalty. Then Juventus got the ball forward like 1 time after the kick-off, and the referee blew his whistle after like half a minute. So more or less 3 minutes of actual football was played during injury time, as was the original intention.

i see.   thanks for the correction.        i stopped watching after that blunder by Navas and only went into the official uefa site for updated comments......  when i see 90+7 .....

29 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’ve been listening to the radio this morning and reading various articles. Let me just point out I fucking hate Real Madrid. With a passion. Partly due to their funding streams and attitude, mostly because of jealousy.

However, I genuinely believe a large number of fans watching that game have skewed attitude because it was them. So far I’ve heard the referee is wrong to award a penalty due to the circumstance (what the actual fuck), and the Buffon shouldn’t have been sent off because he was totes emoshe. Rules don’t go out of the window because Barry Bellend had a decent game and his team had a good go. Imagine a game being referred purely around emotion? 

“Fucking hell ref, he’s just broke his leg!!!”

”Yeah I know, but his wife gave birth last night and it’s an emotional time for all. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt......”

I largely agree, but from that situation it seemed like a yellow card would've been enough to make him back of.

In that regard, are there any details regarding why exactly he was sent off?

49 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

This is precisely why VAR-in-game should be implemented across the board in all of professional football.

Fair is fair, ain't nothin more fair than VAR. No agendas, cold, dispassionate, balanced, fair.

yep.    in the first leg between City and Liverpool, City were moaning about those offsides and the denied goals.

if they place in VAR,  whenever an incident occurs the referee would blow his whistle and go directly to the replay and then make a decision.    bcoz right now, their implementation of VAR in other leagues and games is nothing short but ridiculous and time consuming.

1 hour ago, Panflute said:

I largely agree, but from that situation it seemed like a yellow card would've been enough to make him back of.

In that regard, are there any details regarding why exactly he was sent off?

Looking at the replay it could just be because he may have been abusive, Given he was also surrounded by just about all of the Juventus team he might have felt the need to give the red... A yellow should have been enough though after all he had no involvement in the actual incident other than to scoop the ball up.. 

Got to say some of the reactions are massively over the top about this... Buffon has called him a 'murderer' and the Italian media are going with 'robbery' there is even talk about an anti Italian agenda from Uefa... I appreciate emotions were running high and when there are ways to lose a game no-one wants to go out like that but let's get a grip people.... 

6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Looking at the replay it could just be because he may have been abusive, Given he was also surrounded by just about all of the Juventus team he might have felt the need to give the red... A yellow should have been enough though after all he had no involvement in the actual incident other than to scoop the ball up.. 

Got to say some of the reactions are massively over the top about this... Buffon has called him a 'murderer' and the Italian media are going with 'robbery' there is even talk about an anti Italian agenda from Uefa... I appreciate emotions were running high and when there are ways to lose a game no-one wants to go out like that but let's get a grip people.... 

Whether we believe or don't believe there was a penalty or that a red card should or shouldn't have been brandished, can you not see how back in Italy they're seeing this as robbery?

I've looked back at the incident and for me it is 50/50 or better said, there is a lot of discretion going on in the decision which leaves fans' interpretation to run riot.

• The title was changed to Wednesday 11th March - Real Madrid (4) 1-3 (3) Juventus (QF 2nd Leg)
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's just real petty. In the beginning I felt bad for Juventus going out like that, but between Chiellini's paying gesture, Buffon's bizarre 'dustbin for a heart' comments and the extremely sour grapes in the Italian media, there is a point where I just feel glad that entitled lot got the door shut in their face.

I can understand it when people say it wasn't a penalty (I think it was, but it was one of those situations where some referees might've made a different call), but to then go on and dehumanize that referee, accuse him of being bribed or carrying out UEFA's anti-Italian agenda is just ridiculous and a very bad look on the accusers' behalf.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Whether we believe or don't believe there was a penalty or that a red card should or shouldn't have been brandished, can you not see how back in Italy they're seeing this as robbery?

Ive looked back at the incident and for me it is 50/50 or better said, there is a lot of discretion going on in the decision which leaves fans' interpretation to run riot.

Robbery? Maybe that's an exciting narrative, if you believe it wasn't a penalty, and it's obvious why the Italian media would spin it that way in the same way that Marca's leading headline this morning was "Fue Penalti!"

But an anti-Italian agenda? Give me a fucking break.

7 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Robbery? Maybe that's an exciting narrative, if you believe it wasn't a penalty, and it's obvious why the Italian media would spin it that way in the same way that Marca's leading headline this morning was "Fue Penalti!"

But an anti-Italian agenda? Give me a fucking break.

I don't think it was robbery, I think the referee felt pressurised in some manner, probably of his own making.

My question isn't or wasn't whether it is robbery or not.  The question I put forward and taking everything into account which is a lot really... Can you not see how that reaction is taking place?

I personally don't find it extraordinary at all.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I don't think it was robbery, I think the referee felt pressurised in some manner, probably of his own making.

My question isn't or wasn't whether it is robbery or not.  The question I put forward and taking everything into account which is a lot really... Can you not see how that reaction is taking place?

I personally don't find it extraordinary at all.

Nobody is surprised at Southern European football journalists being completely pathetic, but it's still completely pathetic.

15 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Nobody is surprised at Southern European football journalists being completely pathetic, but it's still completely pathetic.

Not going to bother searching for past UK sports back pages, but I didn't know a tow-boat had pulled GB into the southern part of Europe where a psychosis condition occurs. :ph34r:;)

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Real Madrid supporters aside, can anyone say with utmost certainty that was a 100% clear penalty? If not, it shouldn't have been given. For a match of that ilk in the Champions League to be decided like that..................that's just not a "good sport", advertisement or showcase for the beautiful game we all love. 

I haven't watched but literally every non-Barcelona fan in this thread said it was a pen.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I've looked back at the incident and for me it is 50/50 or better said, there is a lot of discretion going on in the decision which leaves fans' interpretation to run riot.

On another day and another game it may not have been given and in this instance it was given.. I thought the ref handled himself fairly well considering the immense amount of emotion in that game and making a truly game changing decision at the very death was indeed a massive call..

I think we can safely say there was no anti Italian agenda given that the ref would have had a whole 90 minutes to try and swing the match in Madrid's favour had there been even been a slight sniff of one rather than leaving it to chance at the very end of the game so let's be realistic about that fact.. As always when we feel a great loss or injustice has taken place we have a tendency to over react to things.. 

I would have loved Juventus to have gone through but at the end of the day it was a fair call for a penalty and even though on the second leg performance Madrid probably didn't deserve to go through on the night neither did Juventus on their first leg performance but that seems to have quickly been forgotten in all the screaming of an injustice... Maybe when they all calm down a bit someone might step forward and apologise for those 'murderer' comments which are completely over the top... 

I’ve lost a lot of respect and admiration for Gigi Buffon after seeing his post-match interview. It’s utterly embarrassing and frankly quite arrogant. 

He’s basically saying that Michael Oliver should have let it go because he wants to bow out in a Final. Unfortunately for Buffon, the footballing world doesn’t revolve around him and his retirement date, and thus, if a referee thinks that a penalty should be given, he’s going to give it regardless of who the team is, who they’re playing and whether their goalkeeper is retiring. 

I find it quite humourus that the man who plays for Juventus, a team found to fix games during Buffon’s career there, is moaning about a controversial decision. 

8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve lost a lot of respect and admiration for Gigi Buffon after seeing his post-match interview. It’s utterly embarrassing and frankly quite arrogant. 

He’s basically saying that Michael Oliver should have let it go because he wants to bow out in a Final. Unfortunately for Buffon, the footballing world doesn’t revolve around him and his retirement date, and thus, if a referee thinks that a penalty should be given, he’s going to give it regardless of who the team is, who they’re playing and whether their goalkeeper is retiring. 

I find it quite humourus that the man who plays for Juventus, a team found to fix games during Buffon’s career there, is moaning about a controversial decision. 

If someone commits a murder in a house... Do we forever hold those that didn't commit the murder that were in that house with contempt even if they weren't the ones that did it?

As for what Buffon said, yeah, with you on that and it's totally ridiculous although emotions were running high considering what occurred.  Totally understandable from my point of view and I love passion... It will soon be forgotten and even though I didn't like those comments, they don't influence a man's career based on one moment of verbal trash.

15 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Not going to bother searching for past UK sports back pages, but I didn't know a tow-boat had pulled GB into the southern part of Europe where a psychosis condition occurs. :ph34r:;)

Hysteric football journalists in the south are a byproduct of having daily newspapers focused solely on football/sports, so you need lies and drama to fill your paper every day. In Britain it's most likely the awful tabloid mentality that seeps into every branch of news coverage.

Just now, Panflute said:

Hysteric football journalists in the south are a byproduct of having daily newspapers focused solely on football/sports, so you need lies and drama to fill your paper every day. In Britain it's most likely the awful tabloid mentality that seeps into every branch of news coverage.

Nah mate... It's the same situation which is called passion and it occurs in things like sport wherever it's played and wherever there's a statement to be made.  Rather have passion than live in a world of dry toast.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

If someone commits a murder in a house... Do we forever hold those that didn't commit the murder that were in that house with contempt even if they weren't the ones that did it?

Not personally, but if you're going to make a baseless allegation against a team about something your team was actually convicted of and punished for during your career, you look like a massive dick.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Nah mate... It's the same situation which is called passion and it occurs in things like sport wherever it's played and wherever there's a statement to be made.  Rather have passion than live in a world of dry toast.

'Passion' is a word often thrown around in football as an excuse for being a sack of shit. There's nothing passionate about spreading dumb conspiracy theories because your team lost.

Just now, Panflute said:

Not personally, but if you're going to make a baseless allegation against a team about something your team was actually convicted of and punished for during your career, you look like a massive dick.

He does look like a dick without a doubt but pulling up something that has nothing to do with him and which in some manner associates his person with a Mafia type occurrence is as wrong as anything he has said.  Infact I would say it's worse because one situation (yesterday's by Buffon) is emotion taking over what on the whole throughout his career he's been the total opposite (how curious humans fail to use memory and react according to spontaneity which is part of what Buffon suffered from last night) and very balanced in comments and actions.

On balance, what we have here is a case parallel reactionism caused by the similar sentiments Buffon suffered from last night.

1 minute ago, Panflute said:

'Passion' is a word often thrown around in football as an excuse for being a sack of shit. There's nothing passionate about spreading dumb conspiracy theories because your team lost.

Mate, it's a word used because it exists.  Passion fuelled by emotion in the same vein when it causes euphoria it also causes the opposite.  

Just now, SirBalon said:

He does look like a dick without a doubt but pulling up something that has nothing to do with him and which in some manner associates his person with a Mafia type occurrence is as wrong as anything he has said.  Infact I would say it's worse because one situation (yesterday's by Buffon) is emotion taking over what on the whole throughout his career he's been the total opposite (how curious humans fail to use memory and react according to spontaneity which is part of what Buffon suffered from last night) and very balanced in comments and actions.

On balance, what we have here is a case parallel reactionism caused by the similar sentiments Buffon suffered from last night.

If players like Chiellini and Buffon had nothing to do with it, they should know all the better how below the belt it is to shout 'you pay, you pay' at Real Madrid players.

• The title was changed to Wednesday 11th April - Real Madrid (4) 1-3 (3) Juventus (QF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived