Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Saturday 25th March - World Cup Qualifiers (European)

Hope we field some of the new players called up, since our pub team should defeat Gibraltar with ease. Also hope Belgium rapes Greece and we got to 2nd in the group 

Would love to see Hungry win, but likely isn't happening. 

Bulgaria up 1-0 on the Dutch. 

Netherlands are in a right state these days, and I don't just mean in today's match. Seen them many a time and they're not even playing that good football. Bit dull and lacklustre.

Meanwhile Giroud has scored for France and also given away a penalty and Luxembourg have scored it. 1-1. 

France get a penalty of their own and Griezmann tucks it away. 1-2. 

Belgium being pretty shit against Greece. Fairly boring 0-0 up to HT. Fellaini has had the 2 clearest chances. 

9 minutes ago, Romesh said:

Netherlands are in a right state these days, and I don't just mean in today's match. Seen them many a time and they're not even playing that good football. Bit dull and lacklustre.

Meanwhile Giroud has scored for France and also given away a penalty and Luxembourg have scored it. 1-1. 

Thats because we havent had a good coach, there is no plan or style. Eveything Blind does just doesnt work and it looks very amateurish. 

5 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Thats because we havent had a good coach, there is no plan or style. Eveything Blind does just doesnt work and it looks very amateurish. 

I agree mate...  It's evident that the fundamentals have been lost and that there isn't a belief in the essence of what has always been Dutch football since the revolution in the late 60s.  It was always evolving but always kept its essence.  Something back along the footballing lines is going seriously wrong and in my opinion a large part (I stress, not all) is to do with not holding onto your youth at club level.

Greece take a shock lead against Belgium!

I see two managers who need to be fired.  I've never seen a Dutch side that cannot pass before, even in a loss.  This is totally new material.

football forum
Just now, oliveandblue said:

I see two managers who need to be fired.  I've never seen a Dutch side that cannot pass before, even in a loss.  This is totally new material.

Welcome back! :o

Belgium are an absolute mystery. 

Class squad, quality all over the pitch but can't play together. They need a manager who can find a system they can all fit in, that manager isn't Martinez.

26 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I agree mate...  It's evident that the fundamentals have been lost and that there isn't a belief in the essence of what has always been Dutch football since the revolution in the late 60s.  It was always evolving but always kept its essence.  Something back along the footballing lines is going seriously wrong and in my opinion a large part (I stress, not all) is to do with not holding onto your youth at club level.

Just  need a new manager, these players arent bad but just have a clueless coach.  Like today Blind throws in 17 year old De Ligt from Ajax in defence he makes 2 mistakes for the goal and he comes off at half time. Its shocking but no one has the balls in the KNVB to make a big change as they are still suffering from when they gave the job to Hiddink over Koeman and evetything has backfired since.

Dost is a pointless forward.  Absolutely pointless. USMNT fields better right now, and we're not exactly loaded at the forward role ourselves.

Just now, VanPanna said:

Just  need a new manager, these players arent bad but just have a clueless coach.  Like today Blind throws in 17 year old De Ligt from Ajax in defence he makes 2 mistakes for the goal and he comes off at half time. Its shocking but no one has the balls in the KNVB to make a bit change as they are still suffering from when they gave the job to Hiddink over Koeman and evetything has backfired since.

So you think it's just an issue of who the coach is?

Just now, Toony said:

Class squad, quality all over the pitch but can't play together. They need a manager who can find a system they can all fit in, that manager isn't Martinez.

I've heard that Belgium used to have social fractures within the squad back in the day.  Is that still the case.  I don't get how they don't hump half the sides they play.

1 minute ago, oliveandblue said:

Dost is a pointless forward.  Absolutely pointless. USMNT fields better right now, and we're not exactly loaded at the forward role ourselves.

Dost is one of the topscrores in Europe but has no support due the tactics or lack of.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Holland are out of fucking players, too.  30+ guys are right now WAY better than their youth. 

EDIT:  I also don't like their GK's command of the back line.  It's a fire drill on every single overlap/deep ball.  It shouldn't be.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Judging by this game the coach can take full responsibility. 

2 minutes ago, Toony said:

Martinez won't take this squad of so much talent anywhere.

Playing Fellaini, Witsel AND Nainggolan & only having Lukaku up front on his own at home to Greece is terrible. 

Greece down to 10 men now though so maybe Belgium can finally start creating stuff with the extra man. 

Oh yeah, and Blind deserves to be slapped for starting a 17-year old in an away game like this.  He just totally hurt the kid's confidence. 

Just now, oliveandblue said:

Is Cilessen really that bad that he can't take the #1 shirt?  I've always felt he was acceptable enough.

He doesnt play for his club so he isnt going to start. Mostly Zoet is good but with This back 4 he isnt confident at all, Indi is awful and de ligt was never going to work. Van Dijk and de Vrij are so much better but both injured.

2 minutes ago, Romesh said:

Martinez won't take this squad of so much talent anywhere.

Nobody has managed it yet because they're a bunch of individuals with big egos that think they've already made it.  It's not the first time this has occurred with golden generations that fail no matter who the coach is.

3 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

Is Cilessen really that bad that he can't take the #1 shirt?  I've always felt he was acceptable enough.

He plays in the Copa del Rey for Barça and to be honest he's been extremely solid without any mistakes.  The problem is that he has Ter Stegen there and he knew this when he said yes to the offer.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Nobody has managed it yet because they're a bunch of individuals with big egos that think they've already made it.  It's not the first time this has occurred with golden generations that fail no matter who the coach is.

At the club level, most of them really have arrived.  I wonder if they should pass the armband to someone else in that side.  I never thought of Vertonghen as that type of guy. 

I still think Belgium tops the group.  Greece won't play this hard every match.

I just find it staggering that Martinez has waited til 83rd minute to replace a defender with an attacking player despite having had to chase the game since Greece's goal shortly after half-time or even after the red card. I'm sure Everton fans had the same criticisms of Martinez when it came to making subs. Either making them too late or making the wrong ones.