Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Patrick Vieira - From NYC to Nice

He's resigned from New York City mid-way through MLS to, apparently, take the reigns at OGC Nice.

New York City Football Club head coach Patrick Vieira is expected leave the club to join OGC Nice. Although City Football Group confirmed the news on Sunday, in a published post on Manchester City's website, it deleted the announcement shortly after.

Vieira joined NYCFC in the beginning of 2016 and led the team to two consecutive playoff appearances and finished in second place in the Eastern Conference both years.

"I would like to thank City Football Group and New York City FC for the opportunity to have coached this tremendous football club," Vieira said in the pre-deleted statement. "Leaving New York is an incredibly difficult decision for me and for my family and one that has not been taken lightly.”

“From the beginning, City Football Group and its leadership, particularly our Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Brian Marwood, Ferran Soriano and Marty Edelman have believed in me and have helped guide me through the last eight years of my career – starting with my time as a player and ultimately culminating with my first opportunity to manage a first team.”

Although it is unclear who will take over Vieira's job, the candidate will likely be from inside City Football Group.

The Arsenal legend will head back to Europe immediately, this time in preparation for the beginning of the new Ligue 1 season. The Frenchman will reportedly take most of his first-team staff with him.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/10/patrick-vieira-leaves-nycfc-ogc-nice

Been rumors about this for some time now. Love the guy and will definitely miss him in the MLS, however, this likely means NYC FC take a step back which absolutely helps Atlanta. 

Best of luck in France, Vieira

I hope he takes Alexander Callens to France with him. Viera was a huge fan of his.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

I hope he takes Alexander Callens to France with him. Viera was a huge fan of his.

Just stop.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Pardon me?

Stop trying to relate everything back to Peru and/or Peruvian football player. You know your nations footballers, we get it already.

Just now, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Stop trying to relate everything back to Peru and/or Peruvian football player. You know your nations footballers, we get it already.

Stop relating everything to Liverpool or Mohamed Salah, we get it you know about them.

Same concept really. Its not a full English footy forum you're way too high strung.

Yeah, cause I go into every topic talking about Salah don't I...dope.

@Blue

6 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Yeah, cause I go into every topic talking about Salah don't I...dope.

@Blue

Half the time I see your posts I see Liverpool or Salah mentioned.

Why are you lying to yourself to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven?

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Half the time I see your posts I see Liverpool or Salah mentioned.

Why are you lying to yourself to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven?

Stop. 

Go to off-topic to squabble and not derailing every thread. 

k, thx, bye

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Stop. 

Go to off-topic to squabble and not derailing every thread. 

k, thx, bye

Yes, because it's my fault that I'm being so rudely told to stop talking about what I know best xD have a day off.

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yes, because it's my fault that I'm being so rudely told to stop talking about what I know best xD have a day off.

....never said it was your fault. But the admin here have told you 564 times to ignore the bait. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

....never said it was your fault. But the admin here have told you 564 times to ignore the bait. 

Why target the biter then, I often do ignore the bait but I'm no different to the likes of Cicero or even yourself. Christ.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why target the biter then, I often do ignore the bait but I'm no different to the likes of Cicero or even yourself. Christ.

Because you have a history...

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Because you have a history...

So what? It doesn't matter if I do or not. I'm not just going to let random insults get thrown around for putting effort into my posts.

I guess the one who initiates an arguement is always a snowflake who gets away with it. If you want all childish arguments to stop, don't feed the baiter which is exactly what you're doing. This thread was going just fine until you 2 stepped in.

• Confused 1

Interesting to see how he does in his first proper managerial job.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Agreed. Might have been a smart move for him to get more experience here in the States where he was with a talented team, in a city that's nice to live in. 

Wish nothing but the best for him. 

20 minutes ago, Danny said:

why is NYCFC not a proper manager's job?

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

why is NYCFC not a proper manager's job?

Because it's the MLS

57 minutes ago, Danny said:

Because it's the MLS

In other words, because they are not European.

Christ almighty.

13 hours ago, Blue said:

In other words, because they are not European.

Christ almighty.

I think what Danny meant is that it will be interesting to see how he copes in a more competitive league with better quality of players when theres a demand and expectation to do well.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I think what Danny meant is that it will be interesting to see how he copes in a more competitive league with better quality of players when theres a demand and expectation to do well.

More than likely, but to say NYCFC not being a "proper" job is disrespectful to them. Its the wording that bothers me more than anything.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Admittedly I was just being a cunt. But it's a weak league somewhere between midtable Championship and midtable League One that has been sprinkled with gimmicks like Ibrahimovic, Henry, etc. The gimmicks being where meting being a cunt stemmed from.

Viera going to Nice is like Heckingbottom leaving Rotherham for Everton or Watford. A massive step up where in reality his time in the MLS won't offer too many clues as to how he'll do.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

More than likely, but to say NYCFC not being a "proper" job is disrespectful to them. Its the wording that bothers me more than anything.

NYCFC are just a Man City splinter team, much like Melbourne. On those grounds alone they're not proper teams and I'm quite happy for that to be disrespectful. Oil fuelled franchises.

Just now, Danny said:

NYCFC are just a Man City splinter team, much like Melbourne. On those grounds alone they're not proper teams and I'm quite happy for that to be disrespectful. Oil fuelled franchises.

Its not like they are in the Andorran league though, they are in the MLS, which is a professional league and took over essentially a new franchise. Say what you want about the quality, but its hugely improved in recent years. Its not really the retirement league it used to be.

Its like saying Emery didn't have a proper job at PSG because they are oiled fueled. He may have done poorly but it is still a proper job.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Admittedly I was just being a cunt. But it's a weak league somewhere between midtable Championship and midtable League One that has been sprinkled with gimmicks like Ibrahimovic, Henry, etc. The gimmicks being where meting being a cunt stemmed from.

Viera going to Nice is like Heckingbottom leaving Rotherham for Everton or Watford. A massive step up where in reality his time in the MLS won't offer too many clues as to how he'll do.

You are wrong again. The likes of LA Galaxy and Chicago Fire are ultimately shit because of that "retirement league" mentality, while the likes of Atlanta and Toronto thrive because they go for younger players. They have their gimmicks and I think its about championship level in general. A few years ago I would have said League Two or League One which is all opinion based, unlike the former. Its improved a lot and some people aren't willing to accept that.

It's not the best quality in the world, and when it comes to being a feeder league, they are awful just like the Liga MX but in terms of actual quality, its better than what it was. I also think you are overestimating Nice, they aren't on either Everton or Watford's level, although the latter is more of a fair comparison.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Its not like they are in the Andorran league though, they are in the MLS, which is a professional league and took over essentially a new franchise. Say what you want about the quality, but its hugely improved in recent years. Its not really the retirement league it used to be.

Its like saying Emery didn't have a proper job at PSG because they are oiled fueled. He may have done poorly but it is still a proper job.

Bradley Wright-Phillips couldn't establish himself in the Championship, he went to the MLS and became one of the league's top goal scorers, if not the top goal scorer. That's one example of recent history.

The MLS maybe improved from its inception, you'd expect it to. But it's standard, much like the A-League, is roughly between midtable Championship to midtable League One in England. It's a big leap to go from that to Nice which I'm sure someone like Viera could manage.

Youve missed my point regarding Emery, of course the job is proper. Even if PSG are an oil cash cow, at least they had a history before hand. New York City, Melbourne City...barely. Now they're just advertising space for their parent club Man City.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bradley Wright-Phillips couldn't establish himself in the Championship, he went to the MLS and became one of the league's top goal scorers, if not the top goal scorer. That's one example of recent history.

The MLS maybe improved from its inception, you'd expect it to. But it's standard, much like the A-League, is roughly between midtable Championship to midtable League One in England. It's a big leap to go from that to Nice which I'm sure someone like Viera could manage.

Youve missed my point regarding Emery, of course the job is proper. Even if PSG are an oil cash cow, at least they had a history before hand. New York City, Melbourne City...barely. Now they're just advertising space for their parent club Man City.

Maybe they are an advertising space for Manchester City, but that doesn't mean that a manager isn't going to take the job seriously. Nor the players. Again, its not like they play in the NASL or the Australian NPL. 

The MLS took a huge leap in quality around 2016, and Wright Philips doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Trust me, I used to be one of the biggest critics of the MLS, claiming that without DP's it would be Peruvian League quality on several occasions. In recent years, they have proved me otherwise.

Toronto beating Tigres and Club America while New York Red Bulls beating Tijuana all at the same tournament is no small feat. Like I said, their biggest problem is that they are awful as a feeder league, but in terms of actual quality it is better than what you claim it to be. Same with the Liga MX.

Edit: Wright Philips is still doing well upon research, but my point is he isn't one of the bigger names compared to the likes of Giovinco, Almiron, etc.