talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How far will England go in the 2018 World Cup?

Can’t see a thread in here, so here’s one. 

2nd in the group behind Belgium. Both England and Belgium will beat Panama and Tunisia, effectively meaning that the final game between the two is pretty irrelevant. I think it will be made more irrelevant by the fact that Belgium will be well ahead on goal difference, I fancy them to be able to score more against Panama and Tunisia than England.

Onto the knockouts and it’s likely to be Colombia (you’d think) who’ll top Group whatever the letter is and I think the home of cocaine and Carlos Valderamma will come out on top in a knockout game against England. 

This is an England team that in March failed to beat one of the poorest Dutch sides around and the worst performing Italian side in a generation and with that and Gareth Southgate deciding that the best right-back in the Premier League last season is better suited to playing as a centre-back, I think we’ll see people calling for his head in a couple of weeks. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An experimental side struggled to beat Italy in a friendly, oh no. 

I reckon we'll make the quarter finals before bowing out to someone decent and who will convincingly beat us. The team seem to have an attitude not had by an England side in a very long time which gives me hope of beating Tunisia, Panana and whoever we play in the first KO round.

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Can’t see a thread in here, so here’s one. 

2nd in the group behind Belgium. Both England and Belgium will beat Panama and Tunisia, effectively meaning that the final game between the two is pretty irrelevant. I think it will be made more irrelevant by the fact that Belgium will be well ahead on goal difference, I fancy them to be able to score more against Panama and Tunisia than England.

Onto the knockouts and it’s likely to be Colombia (you’d think) who’ll top Group whatever the letter is and I think the home of cocaine and Carlos Valderamma will come out on top in a knockout game against England. 

This is an England team that in March scraped past one of the poorest Dutch sides around and failed to beat the worst performing Italian side in a generation and with that and Gareth Southgate deciding that the best right-back in the Premier League last season is better suited to playing as a centre-back, I think we’ll see people calling for his head in a couple of weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Makes no difference. Friendlies dont mean much, less so when they're a made up of players just getting a run out.

They’re not pre-season friendlies, they’re not about building up match fitness. They’re currently England’s best chance of competitive games outside of actual tournaments and I’m not overly enamoured by the performances in either game, against two poor sides. They also won one of four games against Holland, Italy, Germany and Brazil in the lead up to this tournament. A couple of good results but still some slightly worrying performances against nations who are/were struggling. 

Going out in the quarters but actually winning a penalty shootout in the round of 16.

Think it'll be seen as a positive to get the monkey off the back and give a reason for optimism in future tournaments. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’re not pre-season friendlies, they’re not about building up match fitness. They’re currently England’s best chance of competitive games outside of actual tournaments and I’m not overly enamoured by the performances in either game, against two poor sides. They also won one of four games against Holland, Italy, Germany and Brazil in the lead up to this tournament. A couple of good results but still some slightly worrying performances against nations who are/were struggling. 

England have previously had good results in friendlies before major tournaments and then been shite in the actual thing. Beat Germany and Portugal in the lead up to Euro 2016 didn't they? They mean very little

I'm no England fan but I am intrigued to see how they do this summer. I don't think they'll disgrace themselves like the two previous tournaments. They're certainly not going further than the quarter finals but interesting to see how they fair against Belgium and whoever they draw in the last 16.

Think England will top the group. 

This Belgium side are more hyped than England, there are no doubts about that. But despite being more limited technically, England can and should have a better team unity and work ethic, than the Belgians. 

Personally, think their road will end in the round of 16. Colombia are a more dangerous side than Belgium. Not as over-hyped, but as talented as the Belgian team and with the usual traits of the South American teams, putting intensity in every moment of the match and an healthy aggressiveness in each ball dispute.

Poland don't have the same talent at their disposal, like Colombia, but have a high team work rate and quality players that can give problems to England, just like they did to us and Germany in 2016.

20 minutes ago, ASF said:

Think England will top the group. 

This Belgium side are more hyped than England, there are no doubts about that. But despite being more limited technically, England can and should have a better team unity and work ethic, than the Belgians. 

Personally, think their road will end in the round of 16. Colombia are a more dangerous side than Belgium. Not as over-hyped, but as talented as the Belgian team and with the usual traits of the South American teams, putting intensity in every moment of the match and an healthy aggressiveness in each ball dispute.

Poland don't have the same talent at their disposal, like Colombia, but have a high team work rate and quality players that can give problems to England, just like they did to us and Germany in 2016.

This is why I'm slightly positive about England not embarrassing ourselves at a major tournament again, Southgate seems to have done a good job in relieving the pressure in the side and just getting them playing football. Danny Rose speaking out about his depression and being open about it with England is good news in itself, we will probably become undone by anyone in the quarterfinals but this side doesn't seem to have that self destruct button that the last few teams have had. So far credit to Southgate for that.

Archived