talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Team of the Group Stage

I guess we can get going with this

Ochoa (Mexico)

Advincula (Peru) - Granqvist (Sweden) - Pepe (Portugal) - Marcelo (Brazil)

Modric (Croatia) - Kante (France)

Carrillo (Peru) ------------------------------------- Lozano (Mexico)

Ronaldo (Portugal) - Kane (England)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Coutinho needs to be there. Not just because he's just assisted for Paulinho but he's been Brazil's best player, for me, so far this tournament. A fantastic goal against Switzerland and broke the deadlock against Costa Rica to send Brazil on their way to a much-needed victory. No-one else has been on his level, not even Neymar.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Just knew there would be Peruvians there didn't you xD

Come on... Advincula was a shoe in.

Carrillo was a bit shoehorned tbf but he has been our best player in this tournament. Could have easily placed Ronaldo there.

Just now, Eco said:

Prefer Pavard actually. Change Carillo with Ronaldo, and add Lukaku

Good point, Pavard has been excellent.

I feel Advincula is a more complete footballer but if we're looking at a broader picture, Pavard is probably the better player. Either way, Advincula has been one of the best RB's in the groups. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Eco said:

And probably change Lozano for Hazard. 

nah I'd keep Lozano. Ran the show against Germany and is at the heart of most moves for Mexico.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Good point, Pavard has been excellent.

I feel Advincula is a more complete footballer but if we're looking at a broader picture, Pavard is probably the better player. Either way, Advincula has been one of the best RB's in the groups. 

I know you love your Pervians, which is fair. I think Pavard will be a household name though. Solid as hell in the back. 

Just now, Stan said:

nah I'd keep Lozano. Ran the show against Germany and is at the heart of most moves for Mexico.

Korea ran over Germany too :ph34r:

I'd probably add Hazard, and find a replacement at LB since Marcelo played 30 seconds of the last game before getting injured. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

I know you love your Pervians, which is fair. I think Pavard will be a household name though. Solid as hell in the back. 

Advincula is a more complete footballer, but that doesn't mean better. He's one of the more balanced full backs in football, who can defend and attack and he's a beast physically. Pavard is mostly a solid defender. 

Advincula is a more complete footballer than Marcelo but that doesn't mean I think he's better. In particular, Pavard was on top form against us. He's really good and I was surprised to see he's only at Stuttgart, with all due respect to them.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Advincula is a more complete footballer, but that doesn't mean better. He's one of the more balanced full backs in football, who can defend and attack and he's a beast physically. Pavard is mostly a solid defender. 

Advincula is a more complete footballer than Marcelo but that doesn't mean I think he's better. In particular, Pavard was on top form against us. He's really good and I was surprised to see he's only at Stuttgart, with all due respect to them.

He is also young (22), and played for a very bad Lille team in Ligue 1. I doubt he'll be at Stuttgart for much longer. 

I'm still not sure who replaces Marcelo with his injury? 

Just now, Eco said:

He is also young (22), and played for a very bad Lille team in Ligue 1. I doubt he'll be at Stuttgart for much longer. 

I'm still not sure who replaces Marcelo with his injury? 

Filipe Luis, who is a similar case to Advincula. More complete than Marcelo but not better.

Yeah I have no arguments on Pavard. He's excellent.

Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark)

Benjamin Pavard (France) - Diego Godin (Uruguay) - Yerry Mina (Colombia) - Ludwig Augustinsson (Sweden)

Coutinho (Brazil) - Kevin DeBruyne (Belgium) - Luka Modric (Croatia) - Hirving Lozano (Mexico)

Diego Costa (Spain) - Harry Kane (England)

Is Coutinho a right mid? No, but I struggled to think of one who has really stood out, whilst on the left side there was three.

The controversial decision I guess is Diego Costa, as Ronaldo could have got two red cards I put Diego in who has scored in two games. He beats Lukaku due to better quality of opposition.

The fact i've picked one player from each nation suggests nobody has really taken to this tournament yet. Notable mentions to France, Belgium and Croatia who all had at least three players I took in to consideration.

On 27/06/2018 at 20:20, Cannabis said:

Just knew there would be Peruvians there didn't you xD

It could be the European championships and there would still be Peruvians in it 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark)

Benjamin Pavard (France) - Diego Godin (Uruguay) - Yerry Mina (Colombia) - Ludwig Augustinsson (Sweden)

Coutinho (Brazil) - Kevin DeBruyne (Belgium) - Luka Modric (Croatia) - Hirving Lozano (Mexico)

Diego Costa (Spain) - Harry Kane (England)

Is Coutinho a right mid? No, but I struggled to think of one who has really stood out, whilst on the left side there was three.

The controversial decision I guess is Diego Costa, as Ronaldo could have got two red cards I put Diego in who has scored in two games. He beats Lukaku due to better quality of opposition.

The fact i've picked one player from each nation suggests nobody has really taken to this tournament yet. Notable mentions to France, Belgium and Croatia who all had at least three players I took in to consideration.

No Kante......?>:(

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Himself, Varane and Pivard were all in at one point.

I used to like you..... Kante may be the best player so far, and Pavard is likely the best player no one has heard about.

I´m going with a 3-5-2 because no LB really stood out for me so far. And my list may be unfair because is based on players I´ve seen. 

Cho Hyun-woo (South Korea)

Granqvist (Sweden)                       Thiago Silva (Brazil)                                            Yerri Mina (Colombia)

Golovin (Russia)         Modric (Croatia)       Kanté (France)        Quintero (Colombia)            Coutinho (Brazil)

Ronaldo (Portugal)                Kane (England)

Archived