talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Some big news for us and that is Josh Dasilva is training with the first team finally. Out and out the best midfielder at our club and integral to how Thomas Frank wants us to play. Ivan Toney will benefit from this particularly as the injuries we’ve suffered in midfield has stunted the creation of goal scoring chances for him.

Josh is exactly the type of player our midfield needs and to have him at full fitness alongside Norgaard, Janelt and/or Frank Onyeka will be a big boost for us. It should particularly benefit not just Ivan Toney but Bryan Mbeumo as well, Dasilva likes to make runs down the right wing and draw players out which will open space up for Mbeumo to work in the final third. Yoane Wissa too.

Lets just hope we can get him fit and keep him fit after such a long injury.

Edited by Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas Frank and Brian Reimer sign contracts until 2025, possibly the best business the club could do this window. Two phenomenal coaches who have taken us so far and look to be able to take us further.

Lets hope we can top this off with a couple signings and returns from injury.

On a side note the responses to this being announced on social media are hilarious, from he’s too weak mentally to keep us up to him needing to write a formal apology to Jadon Sancho. Twitter breeds some strange discourse.

Edited by Danny

Silly boy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12527904/ivan-toney-brentford-striker-apologises-for-social-media-video

I should imagine this will probably blow over at a club like Brentford, but what I would say is, if that was one of ours knowing our fanbase, they would be hammered.

You do wonder what on earth goes on in some of these players' heads at a time where social media and camera phones are everywhere.

https://twitter.com/ivantoney24/status/1487336705963311107?s=20&t=rAzp0zA8wcZtLvyaZsNr-g

Edited by Lucas

34 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Silly boy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12527904/ivan-toney-brentford-striker-apologises-for-social-media-video

I should imagine this will probably blow over at a club like Brentford, but what I would say is, if that was one of ours knowing our fanbase, they would be hammered.

You do wonder what on earth goes on in some of these players' heads at a time where social media and camera phones are everywhere.

https://twitter.com/ivantoney24/status/1487336705963311107?s=20&t=rAzp0zA8wcZtLvyaZsNr-g

I mean he’s getting hammered online by a lot of Bees fans so not sure how quickly it will blow over, especially as his goal scoring has dried up a bit this season compared to last.

I do think it’s blown out of proportion though and there’s a reason why the video is cut off immediately after he said it, as he’s most likely joking around. Think most people can recognise he’s said something stupid but in terms of intention he’s been stitched up by the girl recording (and himself for putting himself in that position in the first place).

What I will say though is we aren’t a fanbase with unrealistic expectations of our club or team and generally haven’t been for a good while. There is a sense of logic that within our fanbase that can often be missing in others and that comes from watching closely how we’ve done business since MB took over the club and watching how bigger clubs have held ignorant views against that business until they’ve realised its led us to be better than them. That doesn’t have a lot to do with Toney, but my overall point is our fanbase are used to be realistic about our position as a club and not getting overly carried away. Other fanbase a are more likely to get carried away than ours and in this situation it’s clear there’s no malice from Toney, just a stupid mistake that he will have to repay on the pitch with goals and most people will understand that I think.

Edited by Danny

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Danny said:

I do think it’s blown out of proportion though and there’s a reason why the video is cut off immediately after he said it, as he’s most likely joking around. Think most people can recognise he’s said something stupid but in terms of intention he’s been stitched up by the girl recording (and himself for putting himself in that position in the first place

I do wonder what other context saying 'Fuck Brentford' can be in. Not listened to the clip so I do wonder what else was said that could either incriminate him more or absolve him.

Its not the worst thing someone has ever been caught saying on video. I think it will blow over in time. 

Just now, Stan said:

I do wonder what other context saying 'Fuck Brentford' can be in. Not listened to the clip so I do wonder what else was said that could either incriminate him more or absolve him.

Its not the worst thing someone has ever been caught saying on video. I think it will blow over in time. 

There is a difference in intent between him fully saying fuck Brentford and him jokingly saying it for her. Neither is a good look and is dumb on his part, but the latter he quite obviously doesn’t believe. Say for example he says “fuck Brentford, na I’m joking I’m joking, I love Brentford”. A dumb thing to say given how it will trend, but clearly a joke and something he doesn’t feel. But all we see is fuck Brentford and that’s that.

Context is everything and the person who has released the video has clearly done their best to hide the context behind the video.

• 2 weeks later...

At the beginning of the season one of my biggest issues with this team was our lack of goal scorers. Ivan Toney was great last season, we had a good core around him but no one really good enough to stand out by themselves. Going into this season I felt it was pretty important that we brought in a second forward who could go someway to score the amount of goals Benrahma would have been expected to score.

Toney hasn’t had a record breaking season at all, but he has put together a decent record and for at least 2 thirds of the season that has passed us already he was a general menace all over the pitch. Away from him we have Mbeumo and Wissa, Mbeumo has gone into this season in the same way he played last. Hitting the woodwork a lot, and in general looking like everything he does is about half a yard or half a second too late from what is needed to score goals or create chances. He’s young and needs time to build, but he’s not reliable in that we need goals from him.

Its been hard for Wissa, his season has been interrupted by injuries and he’s not really had a fair go at playing up front. He started out promising, especially with that goal against Liverpool. Hopefully he can find his feet consistently and we can get some goals out of him, but we are desperate for someone other than Ivan Toney to step up consistently. Otherwise we are reliant on the odd goal from a range of players to make up the difference and it’s just not sustainable.

We let Marcus Forss go on loan on January and fair play he needs it, he’s not getting in the team ahead of our current 3 plus Ghoddos and Canos. But I can’t help but think our inability to sign someone who can score goals from a central or wide position is one of the main reasons why we are where we are. Maybe it’s difficult to do that when you’re a small club like us, hopefully signing Christian Eriksen changes the perception players have of our club and in the Summer we can bring in a higher caliber of player.

But we need goals, hopefully a mixture of Dasilva returning, Eriksen fitting in and Wissa playing regularly will supply that.

• 3 months later...

Didn't know where to put this but this is a quote from Thomas Frank talking about our play-off semi final first leg against Bournemouth the year we went up. Just love the mans drive to push forward and take risks as often as possible

"Bournemouth got a corner in the 89th minute and they only put a few players up there and wanted to keep the ball and defend. And I just thought ‘okay, you know what? We are going to beat them in the next game because they are afraid’. They were playing at home and were not going for the second goal? It was not as if they were through if they won. I went into the dressing room and told the players: they are afraid of us."

Edited by Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Ryan, former Rugby Union player and famed Fiji Rugby 7s coach has taken up a role as our Director of Elite Performance. If his success in Rugby translates well into this role then we are not fucking about.

Aaron Hickey and Keane Lewis-Potter due to join the club is very good business imo.

One of our biggest weaknesses last season was having somebody who could play right back consistently. Kristofer Ajer worked it out towards the end of the season and both Sergi Canos and Mads Roerslev had good spells but neither were up to playing regularly. Hickey coming in means that Ajer can play centre back more often, but also gives us cover if Rico Henry gets injured at LWB.

Lewis-Potter will make a good squad addition. We now have 4 first team forwards which is good depth for the season. I’d still like to see another forward if we’re playing with a front 3.

Now just to wait on Christian Eriksen’s decision and work our midfield out from there.

31 minutes ago, Spike said:

Every year Brentford stays in the PL

Vince Mcmahon Money GIFs | Tenor

@Danny

If we sign these two players its about a combined £30m-£40m spent.

Take into account we spent £30m last season, we are managing our money really well and bringing in players that all have the ability to go for x1.5 or x2.0  of the amount we signed them for.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

If we sign these two players its about a combined £30m-£40m spent.

Take into account we spent £30m last season, we are managing our money really well and bringing in players that all have the ability to go for x1.5 or x2.0  of the amount we signed them for.

What % of the TV deal does Brentford get? And what are the sponsors paying? That is the real money.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

What % of the TV deal does Brentford get? And what are the sponsors paying? That is the real money.

I think minimum is £100m? That’s what the play offs are always marked as anyway

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If he faces a similar punishment to what Trippier had for gambling I wouldn't be surprised to see Brentford dragged in to a relegation battle. His goals would be a massive loss to them.

When/what was Trippier's ban for? 

Apparently Toney's ban relates to when he was playing in non-league football. Whilst obviously not good and still wrong, it perhaps isn't as bad as is being made out?

I can't remember when Trippier's ban was or what gambling misdemeanour he did. 

Was it Sturridge as well who got into some trouble for betting on a transfer, despite already knowing it was all done and dusted? Not sure if he got banned too. 

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

When/what was Trippier's ban for? 

Apparently Toney's ban relates to when he was playing in non-league football. Whilst obviously not good and still wrong, it perhaps isn't as bad as is being made out?

I can't remember when Trippier's ban was or what gambling misdemeanour he did. 

Was it Sturridge as well who got into some trouble for betting on a transfer, despite already knowing it was all done and dusted? Not sure if he got banned too. 

It turns out Trippier's ban was ten weeks. I assumed it was six months for some reason. Essentially he told his mate to lump on a transfer to Atletico Madrid.