talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

Is it a coincidence this story comes out literally two weeks before the World Cup starts?

They could have done this at any time if they are really going that far back but they chose to release the story now. 

Honestly, our media are absolute scum, they really are. They know what they are doing. Don't know why they got to be so vindicitive and bring our own players down at a time when we should be as united as possible over the next month or so.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thomas Frank signs a new deal, again, until 2027.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12773772/brentford-head-coach-thomas-frank-signs-new-contract-until-2027

I think Frank is one of the best managers in the league outside of the very obvious big three in Pep, Klopp and Conte. We’ve made a statement with this as if I were at Villa, Everton, Leicester etc looking for a manager who could help break you back into the European spaces, I’d be looking at Frank. And I think in a season or two it won’t just be your clubs who are traditionally big but are shit, but will be sides like Spurs also looking at him. He has a very large ceiling to grow into and I think he’ll eventually lead us into Europe which would be great for us and his CV.

• 3 weeks later...

A really good look at how we're the third best side in the league at winning games when we take the lead first. Interesting to see we made the most subs last season and so far this season, just goes to show the increase in subs doesn't just benefit bigger teams.

https://theathletic.com/4054378/2023/01/11/brentford-close-out-victories-premier-league/?source=emp_shared_article

Mathias Jensen has signed a three year deal until the 25/26 season with an option to extend to the 26/27 season. Great news for us as his contract was running out.

Due to injuries and covid he started slowly last season, but from January onwards he was one of our best players and unsung heroes as Eriksen took all the credit. He is one of the first names on the team sheet now and is the type of player we need to keep if we have intentions of getting into Europe.

• 2 months later...

Pontus Jansson to leave Brentford for his boyhood club Malmo in the Summer.

Absolute club legend, two play-off finals, one promotion, two seasons in the Premier League and a move to the new stadium to boot.

Not to mention this collection of beautiful tweets from Leeds United when we first signed him.

Edited by Danny

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So we are interested in Nathan Collins and Joachim Andersen @The Palace Fan. Seems strange to be in for Andersen if we won’t stretch to £25m for Collins, can’t imagine he’s any cheaper.

With out current centre back options being 35, 33 and 30, with us also having lost Pontus Jansson, Zanka being a bit part player and Kristoffer Ajer perennially injured our focus is that we bring in another young centre back who is ready to challenge for a spot in that back 4/5.

What is also expected to happen is we are not aggressively pursuing a Toney replacement as that is already in house. We’ll likely play with 3 up front next season now we have Schade and I imagine Wissa and Mbeumo will be encouraged to step up their goal tallies respectively. If there is an issue there it’s one of depth as we then only have Keane Lewis-Potter, but I imagine we’ll sign a winger before the window ends unless we’re expecting a B team graduate to step up.

• 2 months later...

Summer transfer window complete. We have essentially sold David Raya to Arsenal for £30m which was a good fee in the end considering how long he had on his contract, I wouldn't say that Flekken is better or even as good as Raya is, but he does cover all bases that Raya covered and I think he will turn into a pretty good signing for us.

Pontus Jansson left the club to join his boyhood club Malmo and so we replaced him with Nathan Collins. It's difficult to replace the leadership quality that Jansson brings to the defence, that will need to be done collectively as a team. But as a player Nathan Collins is a real upgrade, what has surprised me is just how good Collins is on the ball. He will be encouraged to play with the ball at his feet a lot and will also be asked to carry out attacking duties too. The one thing that has stuck out with Collins is his ability to step-up high up the pitch, collect a loose ball and immediately play it out to a winger or a more advanced midfielder. He acts almost as a second defensive midfielder at times when we have the ball, specifically with his range of passing. It's a massive boost to our possession style and hopefully will help us pin teams back this season.

We have sold other players like Mads Bidstrup, Sergi Canos, Halil Dervisoglu and Mads Bech Sorensen but none of them were really getting any game time. Specifically it's a shame to see Mads Bech leave as he was pretty instrumental in us getting promoted, we suffered a heavy injury crisis at the centre back position and even though he was about 200-300 appearances behind the person he was replacing, he mostly played pretty well. Last season was difficult for him on loan, hopefully he can make a career for himself in Denmark now.

Our other two main signings were Kevin Schade on a permanent transfer and of course king of the shithouses, Neal Maupay. Schade impressed from January onwards last season and his goal against Palace is a real example of how dangerous he can be, he definitely improves our attacking line and adds much needed pace. Neal is an interesting signing, we don't normally make signings based on nostalgia and I don't think this is one of those signings. He's generally guaranteed to score about 10 goals a season which is good for a back up striker, but I think the intention is to try and get a lot more out of him. His xg is pretty good, it's just a matter of making sure he's confident and getting the team to get the best out of him. With the likes of Schade, Mbeumo and Lewis-Potter on the wings I don't think that'll be that hard. For his sake I really hope he has a good season and proves a lot of the critics wrong, there was a great player in him when he was with us in the Championship.

Overall it's been a good window, slightly disappointing we didn't land any of Brennan Johnson, Azzedine Ouhani or Johan Bakayoko but that is just the club trying to be ambitious. It's difficult to compete with clubs the size of Spurs, Marseille and PSV for their players, especially when they have Champions League football in the case of PSV.

The key thing for the club alongside a good transfer strategy is player development pathways, that should obviously be a key thing for all clubs but we have seen that it doesn't really exist at clubs like Chelsea or Forest for example. We have a host of players in Schade, Lewis-Potter, Mbeumo, Janelt, Damsgaard, Hickey, Collins, Henry, Olakigbe and Yarmolyuk for example who all have varying levels of potential to step into and the club are really good at giving players the chance to do that. I think the team as a whole has improved on what we had last season and we will wait and see what happens to Ivan Toney in January but I get the feeling we will bring him back in for the remainder of the season.

I think it'll be difficult to achieve a European spot this season, but I do think we will be there or thereabouts fighting for that Europa Conference League spot.

Edited by Danny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our current injury/suspension list in formation of our preferred starting eleven versus our current injured eleven. As you can see (bolded = injured) 4 players remain currently in the preferred eleven.

Preferred Eleven

Flekken

Hickey - Pinnock - Mee - Henry

Damsgaard/Dasilva - Norgaard - Jensen

Mbeumo - Toney - Schade

Schade - Toney - Lewis-Potter

Damsgaard - Baptiste - Dasilva

Henry - Pinnock - Mee - Goode

Flekken

Injured Eleven

Edited by Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Big win against Burnley, much needed after a month or so of good performances and no results.

Good team from Frank, Ajer at right back is great cover for us to have and Janelt played left back really well. Janelt is so versatile, number 8, 6, LCB or LB, he’ll do the job. Collins played really well too, love how high up he pushed defensively, always trying to win the ball and play someone in. He will be playing for a big club in the next couple of years. Nearly had an assist today too.

Dominant going forward today, great team goal for Wissa’s first, Mbuemo decides to score a curler from outside the box so Ghoddos goes one better and rifles one in.

Maupay unlucky not to have scored today, VAR ruled the build up play offside fairly. Had another go in the box after that Trafford tipped over. His build up play was also excellent, game Wissa and Mbeumo a platform to perform on. Hopefully we get more of that because there’s so much to get out of Maupay that the league is yet to see.

We now play Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Arsenal. Tough month ahead, I think we’re hoping for Schade to come back by end of November against Arsenal, Dasilva too, but we’ll see. Hopefully Lewis-Potter should be back soon too.

On 23/10/2023 at 00:01, Danny said:

Big win against Burnley, much needed after a month or so of good performances and no results.

Good team from Frank, Ajer at right back is great cover for us to have and Janelt played left back really well. Janelt is so versatile, number 8, 6, LCB or LB, he’ll do the job. Collins played really well too, love how high up he pushed defensively, always trying to win the ball and play someone in. He will be playing for a big club in the next couple of years. Nearly had an assist today too.

Dominant going forward today, great team goal for Wissa’s first, Mbuemo decides to score a curler from outside the box so Ghoddos goes one better and rifles one in.

Maupay unlucky not to have scored today, VAR ruled the build up play offside fairly. Had another go in the box after that Trafford tipped over. His build up play was also excellent, game Wissa and Mbeumo a platform to perform on. Hopefully we get more of that because there’s so much to get out of Maupay that the league is yet to see.

We now play Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Arsenal. Tough month ahead, I think we’re hoping for Schade to come back by end of November against Arsenal, Dasilva too, but we’ll see. Hopefully Lewis-Potter should be back soon too.

It was also great to see the young Ukrainian Yegor Yarmolyuk make his Premier League debut for Brentford. The teenage midfielder looks to have a bright future ahead of him. He is a little bit of a rough diamond at the moment at his current tender years, but with regular football and more experience, I can see him developing into an excellent all round midfielder.

6 hours ago, Michael said:

It was also great to see the young Ukrainian Yegor Yarmolyuk make his Premier League debut for Brentford. The teenage midfielder looks to have a bright future ahead of him. He is a little bit of a rough diamond at the moment at his current tender years, but with regular football and more experience, I can see him developing into an excellent all round midfielder.

Good to see him getting some minutes, even with our injury crisis it’s really competitive getting into our midfield. You either have to be a game changer like Jensen or Dasilva, or do the box to box/defensive stuff that Norgaard, Janelt and Damsgaard can do. Looks like he’s done more of the latter.

9 hours ago, Danny said:

Good to see him getting some minutes, even with our injury crisis it’s really competitive getting into our midfield. You either have to be a game changer like Jensen or Dasilva, or do the box to box/defensive stuff that Norgaard, Janelt and Damsgaard can do. Looks like he’s done more of the latter.

Yeah, he looks more of a box to box midfielder at this early stage of his career. But it's good to see him getting some minutes in the Premier League and mixing it up with tough teams. He looks like he has a very bright future ahead of him.

Brentford have done excellently in recent seasons. The fact that they have so much depth in their squad, is testament to the great management at the club. Everyone now expects Brentford to finish in the top half of the Premier League table and every Premier League club finds them a very difficult team to play against.

Fascinating run of games ahead: Chelsea (a), West Ham (h), Liverpool (a) & Arsenal (h)

I was one predicting there may be drop off, but Mbeumo & Wissa have not seemed to be doing too badly. And it has seemed they have just been edged out in close games. I do think they will find a way to give a really tough game to most sides they play, but is now getting to the stage, the table is taking shape, Brighton & Burnley are equal points distance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2023 at 17:17, Reluctant Striker said:

Fascinating run of games ahead: Chelsea (a), West Ham (h), Liverpool (a) & Arsenal (h)

I was one predicting there may be drop off, but Mbeumo & Wissa have not seemed to be doing too badly. And it has seemed they have just been edged out in close games. I do think they will find a way to give a really tough game to most sides they play, but is now getting to the stage, the table is taking shape, Brighton & Burnley are equal points distance.

This has summed up a lot of the points we've dropped, and for quite a few of them it's not even been close, just a mistake here or there that sends the game in the wrong direction, games we've generally dominated. The results recently have been good though, with wins over West Ham, Chelsea and Burnley. The next two games are massive and then we are out of the woods a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Kristoffer Ajer signs a new 4 year deal until 2028. Got to say ai’m pleased with this, Ajer has struggled with us so far because of injuries but whenever he has played he has always played well. Such a versatile defender, can play RB and CB with ease. Great at last ditch defending, great in their air but also great on the counter attack with his speed, dribbling and spacial awareness. The type of defender who the longer he stays fit, the more likely it is a club with European aspirations snatch him up.

https://x.com/BrentfordFC/status/1726963849318858799?s=20