talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Alcaraz is getting the better of the big server Berrettini so far, he is leading by 2 sets to 1. We are half-way through the 4th set. Alcaraz has been excellent so far at Wimbledon.

He was too strong for Berretini in the end. 

Alcaraz' court coverage is so good.

Rune is similar, he and Dimitrov had a good game but 4th set Rune advanced quicker than Dimitrov could in the game. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

He was too strong for Berretini in the end. 

Alcaraz' court coverage is so good.

Rune is similar, he and Dimitrov had a good game but 4th set Rune advanced quicker than Dimitrov could in the game. 

Yes, his court coverage is incredible. He hasn't got the biggest of serves compared to several of the other top players, but his effort and the shots he pulls off are very impressive. 

Rune is similar, but not quite on Alcaraz's level, at least not yet. I think that Dimitrov's backhand really let him down today. But well done to Rune for his performance against him.

It was great to see Ukraine's Svitolina defeat the favourite Swiatek yesterday. It was a hard fought win for Svitolina, but she eventually managed to defeat the Pole and advance to the semi-finals. The Ukrainians have done well this year in the women's singles event at Wimbledon. Kostyuk reached the 3rd round, Tsurenko made it to the 4th round and now Svitolina is in the semi-finals where she will play Vondrousova of the Czech Republic.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Someone please beat Djokovic. Or at least, smash a ball in his face. I cannot stand his smug grin.

I'm hoping Alcaraz will be the one. 

18 hours ago, Stan said:

Eubanks is on fire! 

He was playing excellently against Medvedev, but eventually ran out of steam, as his performance in the last set demonstrated. Eubanks also went a tiring 5 sets in his previous match against Tsitsipas. There is only so much top level tennis that you can keep up consistently after that and at this level. We can't take anything away from Medvedev either, he played some superb tennis as well. His return game is what he is really good at, but he was also serving brilliantly against Eubanks for a lot of the match. Medvedev hit 28 aces in the match against Eubanks, which is very impressive.

I am waiting for the women's semi-finals today. How ironic would it be if Svitolina of Ukraine meets Sabalenka of Belarus in the final? In context with what is going on in Ukraine, but also because Wimbledon banned Russian and Belarussian players from competing at Wimbledon last year because of their countries involvement in the war in Ukraine.

Well Svitolina has lost the 1st set to Vondrousova. In fairness, Vondrousova was the better player towards the end of that set, as she broke Svitolina twice. Svitolina will really have to up her game in the 2nd set, as Vondrousova is playing some excellent tennis right now.

Edited by Michael

Svitolina is finally playing some incredible tennis. Down 2 breaks in the 2nd set and 4-0 down, Svitolina has come back to break Vondrousova back twice and get the score back to 4-3, with Svitolina to serve next. It's still all to play for.

Well, Vondrousova wins and finds herself in her first ever Wimbledon final. She played some excellent tennis, it has to be said and she has a lot of power in her shots, which I believe was one of the main deciding factors in this game. Hard luck to Svitolina, it was her 2nd Wimbledon semi-final, but she's yet to make a final at this great Grand Slam event here in London. Congrats to Vondrousova for making the final, she deserves it with her great performances at Wimbledon this year.

13 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Onto Jabeur and Sabalenka now - I've not seen either of them play so far. 

Sabalenka will win, she is incredibly powerful and improving her game on the grass courts all the time. Jabeur is a very good player, who was a finalist at Wimbledon last year. She has a huge variety to her game, but I just think that Sabalenka's power will out do her.

Edited by Michael

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Onto Jabeur and Sabalenka now - I've not seen either of them play so far. 

I prefer Jabeur and hope she wins but agree with @Michael in that Sabalenka does seem to have that extra power behind her.