talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Essential Life Skills

football forum

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Talking of DIY, what's the biggest job that everyone's done/completed (aside from work projects), either inside or outside the house?? Can imagine many on here may have done total redecs or refurbs of inside of their houses. 

My dad and I laid our patio measuring roughly 6x10m with concrete paving slabs - mum did the design for the layout of the concrete slabs and pebbles around it; we bought all the foundations and slabs for it, took a good few weekends to get it completed but such a good feeling when you see it all finished when you know how much hard work has gone in to it.

Have done loads of work with my uncles, (Mums brothers). My grandad who is their father, passed away in 1989, but he was always doing something. He was a bus driver but he did everything, smashed the drive up and re-did it, took plasters of the walls, gutted the house when he moved in. Obviously my uncles had to help, so when they worked on their houses I always had to help lol. 

With my uncles we have done quite a few things, have gutted houses, done small garden work, e.g. digging up an entire area, flagging it, putting stones and pebbles in and other work to finish it off.

Last summer me and my uncle built a car port in his garden, hardest bit was putting the sheets on the roof but it took a week. Around 2011 we built a huge shed style compartment in the back of his garden, sloped the roof perfectly for drainage, we built this as a gym, we have 4 grand of equipment inside, all commercial gear, will make a video someday of the gym. But it has come to the end of its life, and we will need to do it again, this time with more expensive material as 8 years isn't long enough. 

When we built the car port, obviously we didn't do the foundation, we got somebody else to do this. But the materials was real graft, stones, cement, hardcore MOT etc. One of the days I had to carry 5 pallets of flags up the drive, each pallet was a ton, so that's 5 tonnes in total. Its a 50 yard walk up the drive to, as B&Q only do road side delivery. That was tough, another day had to take the stones via wheel barrow up the drive, this was 4 bags, a ton per bag, you fill the barrow up, when you throw it down, its like nothing has covered the fucking foundation. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mel81x said:

A lot has been made of swimming in this thread. Can I ask if schools don't teach this anymore? When I was in school we had 7 years of swimming classes and it was only excusable if you had a medical condition and we were graded on it too. 

I just remember being thrown into a pool and being told to make it to the other side.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just remember being thrown into a pool and being told to make it to the other side.

My dad did that to us in the ocean so by the time we got to the pool we were okay with it minus all the chlorine which really stings your eyes the first time more than salt water.

48 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

My dad did that to us in the ocean so by the time we got to the pool we were okay with it minus all the chlorine which really stings your eyes the first time more than salt water.

Swimming in the ocean is much harder than a pool imo

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

For sure, When we were younger I went down the coast with a mates parents and we had this inflatable dingy that was tied to a pole on the beach so we couldn't float off but my mate thought he would be clever and untie it so we could go further out and we did, then the dingy was slowly deflating so we decided to abandon it and had to swim back to shore, I was so fucking knackered by the time I got back, it seemed miles away.. does really sap your energy if you are not careful.. in a pool at least you can just make your way to the side if you get tired, in the sea and too far out and you are fucked.. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the ocean is better overall for you but the pool is probably easier as you stated. One thing I like about the ocean more is the fact that buoyancy is much better but the killer is that you're working against currents so it does take a lot out of you. I personally prefer the ocean over the pool just because pools feel a bit monotonous after a while.

Just now, Mel81x said:

I think the ocean is better overall for you but the pool is probably easier as you stated. One thing I like about the ocean more is the fact that buoyancy is much better but the killer is that you're working against currents so it does take a lot out of you. I personally prefer the ocean over the pool just because pools feel a bit monotonous after a while.

I hate pools, I used to hate swimming until I moved out here and had beach climate year round to enjoy. But it was also when I learned that swimming in the ocean is tougher than a pool.

• Subscriber

I was never taught swimming as a kid (neither in school nor by parents etc), almost drowned as a pre-schooler and then learned it by myself in the ocean decades later...

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hate pools, I used to hate swimming until I moved out here and had beach climate year round to enjoy. But it was also when I learned that swimming in the ocean is tougher than a pool.

I dont hate them especially when its hot outside and everyone is just lazing around having drinks its far safer than the ocean but if I want to truly enjoy myself ill go diving or swimming in the ocean just because I find it better.

• Subscriber

I enjoyed my time swimming in Australia on the beaches, I went body surfing in Surfers Paradise in the late '60s for a week and I bloody enjoyed the experience as for pools they can be annoying when you are trying to enjoy a good swim then someone decides to jump right in front of you or young kids colliding with you playing about with there pals.

I can remember going on holidays with the wife and kids to the Isle of Bute years ago when our kids were only 9&10 years old, we all went to a beach in a cove on the Isle of Bute, the kids were splashing about in the water and it was time to go so I yelled out to them to come in now as we were leaving to go back to the hotel but they just kept ignoring me and the wife's calls. 

This was the time when the first movie Jaws hit the screens and the Video shops and I hired it out one day and we sat and watched it, the bit with the music going 'DADADADADA...' and Jaws jumped out of the water and our younguns then were hiding there eyes so the only way I got them out of the water was I cupped my hands over my mouth and with my loud voice yelled out 'DADADADADA...' I have never seen them move so fast and they were out of the water in 2 seconds flat. xD

• 3 years later...

Very underrated thread. Are there more you can add over the last couple of years? Cooking is essential as mentioned by others. But my cooking skills are quite basic, but enough for me and is healthy diet wise. I can't swim for shit and am not sure if it's something I'd take up at 44.

On the first page I said DIY and manual labor. A good cost saving way of doing things, even if you can't do the actual job do the prep work to save time and money.

I think you should be able to fight. By this I mean in self defense, not going out looking for fights.

Another which might not be linked too much to the topic is controlling your urges and desires. Somebody said on the previous page that budgeting is essential. With the advancement of online shopping it's so much easier to waste shit loads of money by just buying click via a click.

7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Very underrated thread. Are there more you can add over the last couple of years? Cooking is essential as mentioned by others. But my cooking skills are quite basic, but enough for me and is healthy diet wise. I can't swim for shit and am not sure if it's something I'd take up at 44.

On the first page I said DIY and manual labor. A good cost saving way of doing things, even if you can't do the actual job do the prep work to save time and money.

I think you should be able to fight. By this I mean in self defense, not going out looking for fights.

Another which might not be linked too much to the topic is controlling your urges and desires. Somebody said on the previous page that budgeting is essential. With the advancement of online shopping it's so much easier to waste shit loads of money by just buying click via a click.

How come you can't swim? You literally live on an Island! xD But in all seriousness, you never got lessons as a kid? :o 

Just now, Tommy said:

How come you can't swim? You literally live on an Island! xD But in all seriousness, you never got lessons as a kid? :o 

We used to have them in primary school (pre-high school). I was okay with the basics but never continued with them. Looking back during our high school days. We used to slide/ski on the canal in winter when it was frozen. If the ice cracked I'd have been fucked lol.

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, MUFC said:

We used to have them in primary school (pre-high school). I was okay with the basics but never continued with them. Looking back during our high school days. We used to slide/ski on the canal in winter when it was frozen. If the ice cracked I'd have been fucked lol.

I taught myself how to swim at 29. I'm not great at it, but my goal was learning how to stay afloat and not to sink lol, so I'm pretty happy with it. I try to go swimming at least 3 times a week nowadays, as it's a great exercise.

To add more things that haven't been mentioned yet (I think):

Basic first aid & CPR

Basic sewing

Use of basic hand and power tools

Basic survival skills (fire, shelter, etc)

Archived