• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

How Much of A Joke Is Football Now?

Recommended Posts

Having not paid attention for 3 years I’m just staggered by the valuations of players, it’s utter madness. 

Bournmouth want £25m for Mings, there should be a decimal point in between the 2 & 5 and we’re being realistic. 

Maquire anything above £20 is utter madness yet they’re talking £70m plus🤣

Wan Bissaka £50m is staggering he’s played 46 games. 

Joao Felix €126m he’s still got acne

I could go on an on, utter lunacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Having not paid attention for 3 years I’m just staggered by the valuations of players, it’s utter madness. 

Bournmouth want £25m for Mings, there should be a decimal point in between the 2 & 5 and we’re being realistic. 

Maquire anything above £20 is utter madness yet they’re talking £70m plus🤣

Wan Bissaka £50m is staggering he’s played 46 games. 

Joao Felix €126m he’s still got acne

I could go on an on, utter lunacy

Yeah the markets been going off the rails for a while now, but once Neymar forced the PSG transfer from Barca, everything just got fucking insane.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is ridiculous more. Like house prices here they were outrageously overpriced and unaffordable 5 years ago and yet somehow have kept going up even faster...

Think one of the bigger clubs will enter dire financial peril at some point soon and it will prompt a discussion about finding some way of controlling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but people have been saying that since forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With English players, the insane inflation is driven by the undue credit given to "league experience". In the modern game, it's easy to assess talents accurately  even in weaker leagues. The bigger adaptation is always going to be to the new team, as opposed to the new league. 

Moving from a top foreign team to a top English one is a much more smooth transition, than from a mid-table English side to a top English side. Yet, Maguire is considered experienced and a safe bet and he's somehow worth as much as a Koulibaly for example. Koulibaly would adapt much more easily to a City or a Liverpool side than Maguire would, but people think the opposite because Maguire "knows the league" or whatever bullshit way they put it. 

With young players like Felix, it mostly comes from how much closer connected the football world is. Everyone knows who all the best young players are, so they're all expensive. And yet with the constant increases in price, it's almost impossible to "overpay". By the time Joao Felix hits his mid-20s, £100 mil will probably be the going rate for any good champions-league attacking player. It doesn't mater if he doesn't turn out to be the Ballon d'Or winner he seems like he could be. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

With English players, the insane inflation is driven by the undue credit given to "league experience". In the modern game, it's easy to assess talents accurately  even in weaker leagues. The bigger adaptation is always going to be to the new team, as opposed to the new league. 

Moving from a top foreign team to a top English one is a much more smooth transition, than from a mid-table English side to a top English side. Yet, Maguire is considered experienced and a safe bet and he's somehow worth as much as a Koulibaly for example. Koulibaly would adapt much more easily to a City or a Liverpool side than Maguire would, but people think the opposite because Maguire "knows the league" or whatever bullshit way they put it. 

With young players like Felix, it mostly comes from how much closer connected the football world is. Everyone knows who all the best young players are, so they're all expensive. And yet with the constant increases in price, it's almost impossible to "overpay". By the time Joao Felix hits his mid-20s, £100 mil will probably be the going rate for any good champions-league attacking player. It doesn't mater if he doesn't turn out to be the Ballon d'Or winner he seems like he could be. 

I think it because the home grown quota is a tough issue for some clubs. That is why for instance ManCity has shored up their squad with mediocre players like Jack Rodman, Scott Sinclair, and Fabian Delph. It creates a premium for decent home grown players to take up a squad position. Better to have Maguire and a home grown slot, than a slightly better foreign player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you get when you buy a player? The right to pay that person to play football for your team. It's a bit weird that people consider it perfectly normal to pay (to pick a random example above) £20m for that right, but utterly ludicrous to pay £70m. Outside the context of professional football with the TV money and advertising revenue that comes with it, both are insane. Within the context of the market, both make financial sense (in theory)

Why the distinction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Inverted said:

With English players, the insane inflation is driven by the undue credit given to "league experience". In the modern game, it's easy to assess talents accurately  even in weaker leagues. The bigger adaptation is always going to be to the new team, as opposed to the new league. 

Moving from a top foreign team to a top English one is a much more smooth transition, than from a mid-table English side to a top English side. Yet, Maguire is considered experienced and a safe bet and he's somehow worth as much as a Koulibaly for example. Koulibaly would adapt much more easily to a City or a Liverpool side than Maguire would, but people think the opposite because Maguire "knows the league" or whatever bullshit way they put it. 

With young players like Felix, it mostly comes from how much closer connected the football world is. Everyone knows who all the best young players are, so they're all expensive. And yet with the constant increases in price, it's almost impossible to "overpay". By the time Joao Felix hits his mid-20s, £100 mil will probably be the going rate for any good champions-league attacking player. It doesn't mater if he doesn't turn out to be the Ballon d'Or winner he seems like he could be. 

Could not agree more. Amazes me how many don't see it like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

What do you get when you buy a player? The right to pay that person to play football for your team. It's a bit weird that people consider it perfectly normal to pay (to pick a random example above) £20m for that right, but utterly ludicrous to pay £70m. Outside the context of professional football with the TV money and advertising revenue that comes with it, both are insane. Within the context of the market, both make financial sense (in theory)

Why the distinction?

Budgets and relativity. If a team pays that much for Maguire it means they can spend less elsewhere.

For me it's about getting the most for your money and it's why I'm funny about us overpaying. We have made some stupid deals in the past few years that have stunted our progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement