talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Euro 2020 Qualifiers) - Group B Matches - September 2019

football forum

• The title was changed to (Euro 2020 Qualifiers) - Group B Matches - September 2019
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ukraine will get the away win that they want and continue their dominance in this group. Ukraine don't have many injuries, only Celtic player Marian Shved is out because of injury, but he is not even a regular starter. Lithuania are probably the strongest of the Baltic national teams, but I don't think they will get anything against their fellow ex Soviet opponents Ukraine. I will predict a 1-3 win to Ukraine. I expect Konoplyanka, Tsyhankov, Yarmolenko, Zinchenko, Malinovskyi and the young forward Yaremchuk to run riot tonight in Vilnius.

I am actually going out to the pub with some Ukrainian friends to watch this match, which has an earlier kick-off than most of the other Euro qualifiers tonight. But hopefully I will be back home for the later matches being played tonight.

• Subscriber

No chance at all for us; should just go back to playing basketball :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Michael said:

Lithuania are probably the strongest of the Baltic national teams

Disagree. All three are pretty shite but if I really had to choose then I'd say that Estonia has the strongest national team.

Joao  Felix looked classy off the bench like! Serbia unlucky to be 1-0 down but Portugal very professional after that, Guedes took his goal very well

When that attack clicks they’re a scary force, few defensive worries at times, midfield got overran at 0-0 a lot

22 hours ago, nudge said:

No chance at all for us; should just go back to playing basketball :ph34r:

Disagree. All three are pretty shite but if I really had to choose then I'd say that Estonia has the strongest national team.

I agree that all 3 are pretty poor, but I am not sure that Estonia is the strongest out of them. Estonia have twice conceded 8 goals in matches in recent years. Any team that concedes that number of goals in one game, have got to be pretty bad. I don't think there is much in it between Estonia and Lithuania, it's pretty much splitting hairs as to who is the better team. But I what I would say is that Lithuania's Cernych, is better than any of the Estonian forward players in my opinion. 

It was quite a dominant performance by Ukraine against Lithuania yesterday. Ukraine seemed to go into 2nd gear once they scored their 2nd goal in the 27th minute. Lithuania were poor as expected. The stadium that this game was played in was tiny and it only had a capacity of 5,000! I know that Lithuania is only a small country with a population just under 3 million people, but to have their national team play a qualifying match in such a small stadium, seems ridiculous to me.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Michael said:

I agree that all 3 are pretty poor, but I am not sure that Estonia is the strongest out of them. Estonia have twice conceded 8 goals in matches in recent years. Any team that concedes that number of goals in one game, have got to be pretty bad. I don't think there is much in it between Estonia and Lithuania, it's pretty much splitting hairs as to who is the better team. But I what I would say is that Lithuania's Cernych, is better than any of the Estonian forward players in my opinion. 

It was quite a dominant performance by Ukraine against Lithuania yesterday. Ukraine seemed to go into 2nd gear once they scored their 2nd goal in the 27th minute. Lithuania were poor as expected. The stadium that this game was played in was tiny and it only had a capacity of 5,000! I know that Lithuania is only a small country with a population just under 3 million people, but to have their national team play a qualifying match in such a small stadium, seems ridiculous to me.

Cernych is decent, Novikovas is also quite good (injured currently). Either way, the team is very weak and it has been for a very long time. Only in the early 90s we still had a respectable team that could at least give opposition a hard time. It's gotten worse and worse ever since that generation retired; there have been a few individual players who were better than the rest but overall the quality is extremely low. The manager is poor; the whole infrastructure and organisation is awful; the federation is inept and infested with corruption.

As for the stadium - not many other choices at the moment. Darius and Girenas Stadium in Kaunas (where the national team matches used to be held before) is being reconstructed and will qualify for the highest UEFA category once the renovation finished next year; should also become the biggest stadium in the Baltic states with over 15000 capacity. The National Stadium project has been in planning for over 10 years now but it has been riddled with legal and financial issues. It seems to have been given the green light now though so if they manage to build it in the next few years that one should have a capacity of 25000.

On 08/09/2019 at 18:12, nudge said:

Cernych is decent, Novikovas is also quite good (injured currently). Either way, the team is very weak and it has been for a very long time. Only in the early 90s we still had a respectable team that could at least give opposition a hard time. It's gotten worse and worse ever since that generation retired; there have been a few individual players who were better than the rest but overall the quality is extremely low. The manager is poor; the whole infrastructure and organisation is awful; the federation is inept and infested with corruption.

As for the stadium - not many other choices at the moment. Darius and Girenas Stadium in Kaunas (where the national team matches used to be held before) is being reconstructed and will qualify for the highest UEFA category once the renovation finished next year; should also become the biggest stadium in the Baltic states with over 15000 capacity. The National Stadium project has been in planning for over 10 years now but it has been riddled with legal and financial issues. It seems to have been given the green light now though so if they manage to build it in the next few years that one should have a capacity of 25000.

I didn't realise you were Lithuanian, it seems like an interesting country. Yes, Lithuania's best team was probably in the 90's, they had ex-Hamburg player Valdas Ivanauskas back then, who was very good. It's always going to be hard for the Baltic countries to come up with a strong national team for obvious reasons, but I think Latvia have been the most high achieving of all the Baltic countries, with them qualifying for Euro 2004.

I think a new stadium would be good for both the fans and the Lithuanian national team. They need to take as much advantage as possible when they play at home and the more fans they have cheering them on, the better it will be for their morale and hopefully their performances.

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

I didn't realise you were Lithuania, it seems like an interesting country. Yes, Lithuania's best team was probably in the 90's, they had ex-Hamburg player Valdas Ivanauskas back then, who was very good. It's always going to be hard for the Baltic countries to come up with a strong national team for obvious reasons, but I think Latvia have been the most high achieving of all the Baltic countries, with them qualifying for Euro 2004.

I think a new stadium would be good for both the fans and the Lithuanian national team. They need to take as much advantage of playing at home and the more fans they have cheering them on, the better it will be for their morale and hopefully their performances.

I'm a mix haha; half Lithuanian half German. Ivanauskas was class indeed. Also Jankauskas who was actually part of the CL winning Porto squad under Mourinho.  Danilevicius and Stankevicius played at a relatively good level in Italy. Semberas was a regular player for many years at CSKA Moscow. Stauce also was a solid keeper. It really went downhill after that though.

Not too sure the fans will care much even with a new stadium. Everyone's fed up with the way the country's football federation has been run for years and disillusioned with the performances of the team as well. It will take a lot of structural changes to move past that...

41 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm a mix haha; half Lithuanian half German. Ivanauskas was class indeed. Also Jankauskas who was actually part of the CL winning Porto squad under Mourinho.  Danilevicius and Stankevicius played at a relatively good level in Italy. Semberas was a regular player for many years at CSKA Moscow. Stauce also was a solid keeper. It really went downhill after that though.

Not too sure the fans will care much even with a new stadium. Everyone's fed up with the way the country's football federation has been run for years and disillusioned with the performances of the team as well. It will take a lot of structural changes to move past that...

Yes, I forgot about Jankauskas, he did well in Spain and Portugal. Yeah, Semberas was a key player for CSKA Moscow at a time when they were very strong. Stauce I remember as a kid when he was at Duisburg, he was a decent keeper. They did indeed have a strong spine in their team.

Lets hope the Lithianian FA get their act together, I think a bigger stadium is at least a step in the right direction.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.aae3d6fb8c396e9c2f8b0f8e44ed14e8.png

Cristiano Ronaldo breaks Robbie Keane's scoring record

It was another record-breaking night for Cristiano Ronaldo, despite Robbie Keane's best efforts to steer him away.

The Juventus forward netted four goals as Portugal beat Lithuania to take his overall tally to 25 in European qualifying - two more than the previous record set by former Republic of Ireland striker Keane.

Before the match, Keane asked Ronaldo to "leave this one" after pointing out the five-time Ballon d'Or winner was two goals away from his record.

"I think you have enough records, Cristiano!" Keane joked on Instagram.

But after scoring against his 150th different team for club and country, there was no stopping Ronaldo netting his eighth international hat-trick and stealing the limelight.

Ronaldo has now scored 93 international goals, 16 behind Iran legend Ali Daei's world record in men's football and is also the first European to score 90 goals for his country.

What other international records does Ronaldo hold?

_108746053_111.png

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

To be fair one of the goals given to him yesterday should have been Setkus' own goal instead as he tried to save the shot and then bounced it into the goal with his back xD But yeah a great performance by Ronaldo. It was 1-1 until the 60th minute and then he single-handedly scored 3 more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuS89g8lUyY

• The topic was unpinned

Archived