talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Amorim unlikely according to Ornstein 

Tbh I'm not sure how much his preferred 3-4-3 would translate to our current squad. We've only just gone back to having a functional midfield again after bringing in a load of midfielders - and I'm not sure going back to a midfield 2 is really feasible with the squad we've got built. It's really only Endo and Mac Allister that would fit in to how his midfield would operate, I think.

But I don't think there's any point in speculating until our new DoF is actually working for us.

Just read a rumour by someone who claims to be a Liverpool journalist, but might be an independent? So take this with a pinch of salt but Gary O'Neill has reportedly been interviewed for the job.

I actually think his style of football suits what Liverpool are, a pacy, direct team that look to use pace and power to get in behind defensive lines and cause havoc. With that said you'd think he's too inexperienced to actually get the job...

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Just read a rumour by someone who claims to be a Liverpool journalist, but might be an independent? So take this with a pinch of salt but Gary O'Neill has reportedly been interviewed for the job.

If true as long as he follows on from where Klopp left and does not try and change things, a certain Moyes rings a bell to me when he took over from SAF, instead of carrying on where Fergie left off and take his time he wrecked what Fergie had built, did a clearout and bought his own backroom boys in and changed the way the team played, United fans know what happened since then, mind you a certain Woodward and the idiotic Glazers let Moyes do it. :coffee: 

17 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Surprised by that. The more I read about Almiron, the more I think his preferential 3-4-3 press would suit the team.

Watching that tactics video @Danny posted, I actually thought the opposite. It requires some big changes to how our defense and midfield are set up, a season after we'd spent a lot of money to totally rebuild the midfield. And I think would necessitate making quite a few big changes next season, where I think we're destined to struggle due to being in transition of systems, that I think might have made the process go on a bit longer than it would for a manager that plays with a back 4. Cos really with our central midfielders, only really Endo and Mac Allister would fit in with Amorim's tactics imo.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If we end up with Slot... and United and Everton keep their managers... there won't be a single strand of hair on the head of any manager for any of the 4 clubs from Liverpool & Manchester.

They are trying to be one with the ball on the pitch

Interesting appointment, really hard to tell how well he'll do in England so little point speculating.

Just from having watched highlights of Feynoord's goals this season, his style does resemble Klopp's a bit. Seems to like having aggressive forwards, early balls in behind the defensive line, doesn't have a gengenpress style but does seem to have a fairly well structured man to man marking press in which there seems to be an extra man who will press hell for leather when the ball looks winnable to create a 2v1. Encourages dribbling to create 1v1s. Though his team don't seem to play as many 10-15 yard passes from midfield into feet of a forward in the way Klopp does, it works for Klopp because if the passes are too risky they have a geggenpress to win it back, Feynoord don't seem to play with the same press and so likely build up from deeper positions in a different way. I watched a load of videos where they would just play a pass and move style, the passer runs into an advanced position dragging the marker, the receiver runs into the space left open, draws another marker and passes into space, and they seemed to do that until they scored. A type of thing you'd think this Liverpool team could do.

Stylistically looks like the Liverpool players will be able to adapt and play the game he wants (from the very generic highlights available from just their goal highlights this season lol), but beyond that, no idea if he will be cut out tactically for the league, if his style works more in the Netherlands because the league is less physical and his style is more physical but then maybe here his style becomes less effective as the physicality goes up? Who knows.

It's strange seeing a club as big as Liverpool take a punt on a manager who essentially 90% of football fans will have no idea as to how effective he is at this level.

From the outside the odds of this becoming a car crash or becoming a great decision look the same lol.

Edited by Danny