talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Smith only gets 1 match suspension and 100% match fee fine.

Bancroft only gets 3 demerit points and 75% match fee fine.

Incredibly lenient. 

It's no wonder cheating is a viable option if no-one really gets in much trouble... Sports all over are pretty fucked up these days.. 

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

It's no wonder cheating is a viable option if no-one really gets in much trouble... Sports all over are pretty fucked up these days.. 

No way mate. Whatever suspension he gets has nothing on the reputational damage he's sustained. 

They are getting absolutely fucked on internally from every Aussie cricketer whos ever played the game. Particularly from those who had taken the moral high ground before when other counties did it whip now seem retrospectively hypocritical. Australian cricket will be reminded of this event anytime they ever complain about anything in future and thats on this current bunch of cricketers. 

7 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

All very odd. Not only the stupidly brazen cheating but Smith's admission too. Seems strange for him to come out and admit to a deeper, premedidated attempt to cheat which implicates, by proxy, Australian cricket as a whole. Unless Bancroft threatened to blow it up?

I agree how weird it is. 

That's one thing I've been pondering. 

Another thought is whether this was really a first time they did it or just the first time they got caught. Why start now in a game you'll surely lose anyway? 

Edited by Harry

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree how weird it is. 

That's one thing I've been pondering. 

Another thought is whether this was really a first time they did it or just the first time they got caught. Why start now in a game you'll surely lose anyway? 

Everyone does it, but its highlighted more when it involves a team that has less influence in world cricket

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

What do you mean? 

Reverse swing isn't possible without tampering with the ball thats fact !

You can either do it by manipulating the rules or by cheating

People knew about reverse swing when it was a sport of two or three nations and they did tried it(by manipulating the rules) but they couldn't get it under control but when Pakistani bowlers in the 80s and 90s mastered it then it became cheating and allegations of tampering again and again thrown at us mostly by Bristish press.

Well guess what ! everyone tried it the Aussies, the English and they also manipulated the rules but no eyebrow was raised because they couldn't really learn the 'Art'.

But when we tried it that 'Art' became cheating.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

No way mate. Whatever suspension he gets has nothing on the reputational damage he's sustained. 

They are getting absolutely fucked on internally from every Aussie cricketer whos ever played the game. Particularly from those who had taken the moral high ground before when other counties did it whip now seem retrospectively hypocritical. Australian cricket will be reminded of this event anytime they ever complain about anything in future and thats on this current bunch of cricketers. 

You would hope at the very least the embarrassment of getting caught would be enough for him to reconsider if he ever wanted to take up the bat and step foot on a cricket pitch again but I doubt that will happen... Sports in general are under a bit of a dark cloud these days and all this makes you ask how long this kind of thing has been going on?? With so many cameras and media knocking about in sports it's harder for someone to get away with it now but before all them cameras were highlighting every single thing going on it makes you wonder what people were possibly getting away with in the past... 

How anyone in any sport can take satisfaction in a victory brought about by cheating their way there is beyond me... 

On 27/03/2018 at 05:40, The Artful Dodger said:

Warne came back from worse, taking bribes and drug taking. Smith will be fine.

Looks like Cricket Australia is about to ban Smith and Warner for 12 months. 😐 

• Administrator

Yep, Smith and Warner banned for 12 months.

Bancroft banned for 9 months.

Warner banned from any future captaincy.

Smith and Warner banned from captaincy for 2 years (not like they'll get it back again anyway)

Warner is done I reckon. Smith seemed to cover for Warner initially do you think? What a bunch of idiots though. Bancroft could be done. Didn't he put sugar in his pockets vs England too? All teams would try tactics, I mean from sunscreen to probably some kind of sprays, sugar, and now sandpaper. Smith could've gone down as the best batsmen since Bradman. See how his career recovers. Typically cricket though. Fucking hilarious reading the Pakistani's post's here though. 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Warner is done I reckon. Smith seemed to cover for Warner initially do you think? What a bunch of idiots though. Bancroft could be done. Didn't he put sugar in his pockets vs England too? All teams would try tactics, I mean from sunscreen to probably some kind of sprays, sugar, and now sandpaper. Smith could've gone down as the best batsmen since Bradman. See how his career recovers. Typically cricket though. Fucking hilarious reading the Pakistani's post's here though. 

that's a bold call!!

Apparently the 'sugar' was actually 'chewing gum' against England...

46 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Paki should do the job

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Yep, Smith and Warner banned for 12 months.

Bancroft banned for 9 months.

Warner banned from any future captaincy.

Smith and Warner banned from captaincy for 2 years (not like they'll get it back again anyway)

and banned from IPL which sees them  each missing out on $2.5M for the season. 

And Warners lost at least one sponsorship deal. 

Where does this stand now in the hall of ball tampering punishments? 

It feels pretty fuckin harsh now to me particularly with the savage reputational hit they've already taken. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just forfeited a percentage of his match fee. 

I only recall waqar younis being suspended before for ball tampering. Most others have been fined. 

Suppose it shows the difference in countries morals.

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Suppose it shows the difference in countries morals.

I think to some extent it also shows  you how the world has gone mad and how the court of public opinion is leading to sentences that do not got the crime. 

A year out of the game and 3 million dollars in lost revenue for knowing about the scratching of one side of a ball in a game they were going to lose anyway. 

There'd be less of a punishment for jumping into the stands and smacking rival fans in the face with your cricket bat.

The punishment should be appropriate to the crime not to the level of public outrage generated. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think to some extent it also shows  you how the world has gone mad and how the court of public opinion is leading to sentences that do not got the crime. 

A year out of the game and 3 million dollars in lost revenue for knowing about the scratching of one side of a ball in a game they were going to lose anyway. 

There'd be less of a punishment for jumping into the stands and smacking rival fans in the face with your cricket bat.

The punishment should be appropriate to the crime not to the level of public outrage generated. 

Absolutely agreed. Whilst I have been quite disappointed and angry that we have done this. Shouldn't the public remember, we are a cheating nation in cricket? We have a terrible history, in fact the whole sport does. 

I think Snith's punishment is way too harsh. Bancroft I agree with. Warner... not too sure. Never liked the bloke but as you said 12 months and $3mill or so out of pocket is insane. They all may as well have snorted cocaine off a hookers vagina whilst in the outfield of play. 

Quick rant. How big this Cricket scandal has become is a shocking reflection of what "matters most" in our country. If only the public and media felt the same passion for actual serious issues such as; our treatment of refugees, decisions made by our inept government(Great Barrier Reef etc), our reliance on non-renewable energy, China owning most of our country and the outrageous price of cheese at my local IGA. 

• Upvote 1