talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator

Aus dug in very deep to seal that. Cummins ably supported by Lyon. But I think the test was lost by Bairstow's mistakes. Alot will be said about the day 1 declaration but I think Bairstow missing that many, and of key batsmen, was more telling. 

Surprised Anderson wasn't given a go at the end, even if just for a couple. 

I keep thinking about this last test and how it played out. Declaring on day one with Root smashing it around, Marnus out for a golden duck, Robinson sledging Khawaja,  rain delay causing England’s collapse, Cummins’ batting winning for Australia, and then Stokes’ weird post interview. 

@Stan@Lucas thoughts?

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Spike said:

I keep thinking about this last test and how it played out. Declaring on day one with Root smashing it around, Marnus out for a golden duck, Robinson sledging Khawaja,  rain delay causing England’s collapse, Cummins’ batting winning for Australia, and then Stokes’ weird post interview. 

@Stan@Lucas thoughts?

It's definitely put the rest of the series in an intriguing place. 

I do like the new aggressive and attacking England tactic. It's entertaining and has been successful for them. But come up against a seriously strong opposition who play in the more traditional way and it's obviously not going to be as easy. The bigger picture being that England's prep for this Ashes hasn't really been there. Bigger than that, the Ashes gets moved for the fucking Hundred. 

Robinson is a prick. He's the one that got done for racist/sexist tweets in the past I think. And I've just seen his comments about 'Australia not going toe to toe with us'. Well yeah, because maybe they focused on getting the job done... 

Cummins was great in that final session. Didn't once get carried away. Lyon was ably supporting him.

I just hope weather doesn't ruin anything any more. I don't blame the early declaration for England's loss. I think Bairstow missing 3 golden opportunities for wickets is more to blame. 

I think the declaration was bad when it was made, win or loss. There has to be a line somewhere, I'm fine with baz ball being aggressive and a few silly looking wickets being given away (Stokes and Ali in the first innings for example) but to declare with root out there on a hundred on a flat pitch was insanity. 

Rule 1 of test cricket, make the opponent take 20 wickets. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

It's definitely put the rest of the series in an intriguing place. 

I do like the new aggressive and attacking England tactic. It's entertaining and has been successful for them. But come up against a seriously strong opposition who play in the more traditional way and it's obviously not going to be as easy. The bigger picture being that England's prep for this Ashes hasn't really been there. Bigger than that, the Ashes gets moved for the fucking Hundred. 

Robinson is a prick. He's the one that got done for racist/sexist tweets in the past I think. And I've just seen his comments about 'Australia not going toe to toe with us'. Well yeah, because maybe they focused on getting the job done... 

Cummins was great in that final session. Didn't once get carried away. Lyon was ably supporting him.

I just hope weather doesn't ruin anything any more. I don't blame the early declaration for England's loss. I think Bairstow missing 3 golden opportunities for wickets is more to blame. 

What is the deal with the hundred anyway? T20 not good enough foe England?

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

What is the deal with the hundred anyway? T20 not good enough foe England?

Think they just tried or wanted to be different. They've kept the T20 competition but wanted to move to franchises instead of counties. 

I'm not a fan. 

23 hours ago, Spike said:

@Stan@Lucas thoughts?

I said before in here that declaration was daft. I know Stan thinks we bombed a few chances, and we did, but you never have the perfect match anyway, you get drops and missed stumpings/run outs happen.

I totally get if we picked up two wickets in those last few overs on Day 1, maybe its a different story but that was bordering on naive for me and ultimately we didn't have enough runs.

It's weird seeing an Aussie side play so conservative and defensive but I do wonder if we are just playing into their hands. I'm pretty sure they are content to let us do our thing and knowing the risks can easily backfire for us if they remain disciplined.

They bowled sensibly in the right areas knowing we'd go hell for leather and we gave far too many wickets away doing that. Just look at how many wickets Nathan Lyon got, something went wrong there. You look at our batting scorecards, so many times our players got in at the crease, looked set then gone.

Bottom line however is this. As much as I think we were on top for most the match, we've ultimately lost it and I think the Aussies have won without reaching top gear. Massive boost.

Even worse, we've lost a test where Smith and Marnus had 2 bites of the cherry each and managed just 35 runs. Normally you win those games if you keep them quiet. Doubt that will happen again surely.

England have to get Wood in the team. More pace. Ali was a complete liability tbh, injured or not, he looked like a guy that hadn't played that level for a long time and he isn't needed at Lords. Go with four seamers.

I'd keep Bairstow behind the stumps for now however, if he had another iffy game, Foakes could come in, could sacrifice Pope if he doesnt kick on.

I like Pat Cummins, comes across a genuine nice bloke. Was pleased for him with his knock. Rather share a beer with him than Glen McGrath that's for sure xD

P.S Agree with @Stan, Robinson is an absolute gimp. Needs to shut up and just concentrate on his bowling. Back it up before you start thinking your an absolute boss in the middle. Embarassing behaviour.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I said before in here that declaration was daft. I know Stan thinks we bombed a few chances, and we did, but you never have the perfect match anyway, you get drops and missed stumpings/run outs happen.

I totally get if we picked up two wickets in those last few overs on Day 1, maybe its a different story but that was bordering on naive for me and ultimately we didn't have enough runs.

It's weird seeing an Aussie side play so conservative and defensive but I do wonder if we are just playing into their hands. They bowled sensibly in the right areas knowing we'd go hell for leather and we gave far too many wickets away doing that. Just look at how many wickets Nathan Lyon got, something went wrong there. You look at the barting scorecards, so many times our players got in at the crease, looked set then gone.

Bottom line however is this. As much as I think we were on top for most the match, we've ultimately lost it and I think the Aussies have won without reaching top gear. Massive boost.

Even worse, we've lost a test where Smith and Marnus had 2 bites of the cherry each and managed just 35 runs. Normally you win those games if you keep them quiet. Doubt that will happen again surely.

England have to get Wood in the team. More pace. Ali was a complete liability tbh, injured or not, he looked like a guy that hadn't played that level for a long time and he isn't needed at Lords. Go with four seamers.

I'd keep Bairstow behind the stumps for now however, if he had another iffy game, Foakes could come in, could sacrifice Pope if he doesnt kick on.

I like Pat Cummins, comes across a genuine nice bloke. Was pleased for him with his knock. Rather share a beer with him than Glen McGrath that's for sure xD

I think Stokes and McCullum knowing Australians and the culture wanted to bait Cummins into playing in the stereotypical Australian manner, get the Aussies to puff their chests and make a mistake by trying to out bazball England. They didn't take the bait and Australia set the tempo to England's foot on pedal momentum. It kind of backfired for England as they were probably expecting typical Australian aggression. It probably would have worked against the Waugh or Punter.

My mum actually ran into Glenn McGrath at a petrol station in the middle of the bush about a month ago. Said he was very nice, but she also swooned for him so there is that.

I'm so very conflicted. On one hand I am the 200 year end product of a chip-on-the-shoulder colonial culture that only slightly diverged away from the settler's culture, and must, has to show up England at any and all opportunity, WW1 lives rent free in my head as does bodyline series as a sort of psychic shock to the cultural ethos that no one ever recovered from. I cannot stand Mr Tory Ian Botham (Ian Chappell is right about him), never shuts up KP, the bloke that give himself the #racist on twitter, the fucking nickname 'bazball' and the fact it was a reinvention of the wheel by two Kiwis for use by the old Enemy. This is not okay, we are the team that brutalises with aggressive batting, we set the huge scores for teams to chase, this isn't the script. I really, really, really want Australia to smash this team back to the drawing board, 5-0 wash fuck off, a justification of 140 years of shitty, slow, methodical test cricket, take that you upstart pricks, our machismo Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting, toxic bullshit blokeish masculinity overcoming the next obstacle and vindicating our moral superiority of bazball, fuck ya gentleman's sport and having fun this is a war. This is a leatherglove slap invitation to a duel the insult will not stand, how can I compartmentalise England clawing one back and getting one step closer to having more series wins than Australia and in a radically stylish manner?

One the other hand bazball is fucking great to watch and has created possibly one of the most hyped Ashes series ever, and if England win it may breathe life into test cricket if other nations adapt and adopt new styles and variations of bazball. Too steep a price to pay, if you ask me. Australia wins 3-1

Edited by Spike

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm so very conflicted. On one hand I am the 200 year end product of a chip-on-the-shoulder colonial culture that only slightly diverged away from the settler's culture, and must, has to show up England at any and all opportunity, WW1 lives rent free in my head as does bodyline series as a sort of psychic shock to the cultural ethos that no one ever recovered from. I cannot stand Mr Tory Ian Botham (Ian Chappell is right about him), never shuts up KP, the bloke that give himself the #racist on twitter, the fucking nickname 'bazball' and the fact it was a reinvention of the wheel by two Kiwis for use by the old Enemy. This is not okay, we are the team that brutalises with aggressive batting, we set the huge scores for teams to chase, this isn't the script. I really, really, really want Australia to smash this team back to the drawing board, 5-0 wash fuck off, a justification of 140 years of shitty, slow, methodical test cricket, take that you upstart pricks, our machismo Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting, toxic bullshit blokeish masculinity overcoming the next obstacle and vindicating our moral superiority of bazball, fuck ya gentleman's sport and having fun this is a war. This is a leatherglove slap invitation to a duel the insult will not stand, how can I compartmentalise England clawing one back and getting one step closer to having more series wins than Australia and in a radically stylish manner?

One the other hand bazball is fucking great to watch and has created possibly one of the most hyped Ashes series ever, and if England win it may breathe life into test cricket if other nations adapt and adopt new styles and variations of bazball. Too steep a price to pay, if you ask me. Australia wins 3-1

Go for a 3-2 win and an even more culminating and even battle if it goes to a decider for the final test. Would be the best way to advertise the beauty and love of Test cricket. 

I love Bazball but I also love the tradition of Test cricket being a bit of a slog but once a team gets going, they're hard to break down and the bowlers have to think of something different to get someone out. 

To be somewhat contrary to that though, I don't think Lords should be a test ground, or not for the Ashes anyway. It's ultimate tradition, I know. But it's just so quiet and dull. Cricket needs atmosphere as much as any other sport. But it's a bit elitist, a bit of pomp and properness. Maybe it's just conflicting with how Test cricket is these days. There was a camera in the Long Room as players came off for rain. All the members were old, red-faced, grey-haired white men who were either asleep because they just can't hack it any more or their first 2 beers went straight to their heads. There's no diversity there at all. It'll never happen because it's Lords. And I get that. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

There was a camera in the Long Room as players came off for rain. All the members were old, red-faced, grey-haired white men who were either asleep because they just can't hack it any more

I thought you were talking about the House of Lords and politics for the moment. xD

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Go for a 3-2 win and an even more culminating and even battle if it goes to a decider for the final test. Would be the best way to advertise the beauty and love of Test cricket. 

I love Bazball but I also love the tradition of Test cricket being a bit of a slog but once a team gets going, they're hard to break down and the bowlers have to think of something different to get someone out. 

To be somewhat contrary to that though, I don't think Lords should be a test ground, or not for the Ashes anyway. It's ultimate tradition, I know. But it's just so quiet and dull. Cricket needs atmosphere as much as any other sport. But it's a bit elitist, a bit of pomp and properness. Maybe it's just conflicting with how Test cricket is these days. There was a camera in the Long Room as players came off for rain. All the members were old, red-faced, grey-haired white men who were either asleep because they just can't hack it any more or their first 2 beers went straight to their heads. There's no diversity there at all. It'll never happen because it's Lords. And I get that. 

Yeah cricket obviously has a class issue as evident in the Harry Kane thread. Dismissed before it has even given a try as a sport for the posh and ‘colonials’:dam:

Im glad I didn’t go to Lords but Headingly, at least cricket has a relevance in Yorkshire.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Yeah cricket obviously has a class issue as evident in the Harry Kane thread. Dismissed before it has even given a try as a sport for the posh and ‘colonials’:dam:

Im glad I didn’t go to Lords but Headingly, at least cricket has a relevance in Yorkshire.

Atmosphere will be quality there too. 

Given it was 316-3 with Travis Head on a roll and Smith looking rock solid, we actually did well to come away from that situation with just another 100 to the total. You'd have felt 500+ was on for them there.

416 is still a lot of runs scored mind when conditions should have favoured us but we paid the price for being sloppy yesterday.

Hard graft really starts now but we're still in the test at least.

Zak Crawley.

Lovely player to watch, get's in, starts to dominate and then gives his wicket away.

Textbook Crawley, that. Just cannot seem to go on and nail a big score.

Until he masters this, he'll never become an elite level batsman.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Zak Crawley.

Lovely player to watch, get's in, starts to dominate and then gives his wicket away.

Textbook Crawley, that. Just cannot seem to go on and nail a big score.

Until he masters this, he'll never become an elite level batsman.

How many batsmen his height ever become elite? KP is all I can think of