talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator

Great protection from England's bowlers to defend that total. Thought it'd be a bit too low by England's standards. 

Archer has hit the ground running. Stokes just taken a stunning catch. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Azeem said:

No David Miller is surprise tbh 

Totally off form. Didn't have a great IPL and there are better options than him right now for SA. 

• Administrator

Well that was easy for West Indies...

I'd still be cautious about Pakistan. They got thrashed against India in first round a few years ago and then beat us in the final.

Another one sided match so much for the justification of this format that their will be more competitive matches.

I think i will be done with Cricket for the most part after this WC regardless of how we perform in this tournament, ODI Cricket has become too predictable and boring. T20 will be more about the franchise leagues around the world than internationals in future.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Another one sided match so much for the justification of this format that their will be more competitive matches.

I think i will be done with Cricket for the most part after this WC regardless of how we perform in this tournament, ODI Cricket has become too predictable and boring. T20 will be more about the franchise leagues around the world than internationals in future.

I don't think today's performance by NZ/Sri Lanka is a stick to beat the tournament with? What's the issue with the format? It's a bit long-winded but I think this just goes to show just how poor Sri Lanka have become compared to the beast they used to be and actually used to be able to pose a threat to several of the bigger nations. It's like West Indies recently who had to go through big changes before revitalising and becoming as good as they used to be (or near it). 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think today's performance by NZ/Sri Lanka is a stick to beat the tournament with? What's the issue with the format? It's a bit long-winded but I think this just goes to show just how poor Sri Lanka have become compared to the beast they used to be and actually used to be able to pose a threat to several of the bigger nations. It's like West Indies recently who had to go through big changes before revitalising and becoming as good as they used to be (or near it). 

The opening game was quite one sided as well.

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

I'm curious as to who's using this argument because it's patently false. Close games are relatively rare in one day cricket, whereas you often see T20 games come down to the last over or two. The advantage 50 over cricket has is that there's far more of the nuance and subtlety that makes cricket cricket while keeping the games to a digestible length.

34 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm curious as to who's using this argument because it's patently false. Close games are relatively rare in one day cricket, whereas you often see T20 games come down to the last over or two. The advantage 50 over cricket has is that there's far more of the nuance and subtlety that makes cricket cricket while keeping the games to a digestible length.

It's not about that, if you had followed enough ODI Cricket than a proper game of Cricket has wickets falling in between the chase with a required run rate that keeps fluctuating all the time and than suddenly the game could end with one good over with the bat or ball. That was the exciting part of ODI Cricket which is rare these days. 

• Administrator

Think what also needs to be factored in is that teams from the sub-continent traditionally struggle on English surfaces. Even iconic teams of yesteryear traditionally struggle.

Afghanistan's batting surprised me, they were halfway decent and would've had a better game if not for the opening ducks. Their bowling however, is getting slaughtered.

I'm very surprised that they were able to get 1 out before 100.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Afghanistan's batting surprised me, they were halfway decent and would've had a better game if not for the opening ducks. Their bowling however, is getting slaughtered.

I'm very surprised that they were able to get 1 out before 100.

They've got a couple of decent players in Rashid Khan (who I only realised a few weeks ago was Afghani, oops!) and Mohammed Nabi. Think over the next few years with the right investment they could become a bit better than just a minnow side.

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

They've got a couple of decent players in Rashid Khan (who I only realised a few weeks ago was Afghani, oops!) and Mohammed Nabi. Think over the next few years with the right investment they could become a bit better than just a minnow side.

Speak of the devil, Khan just took his first CWC wicket

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Smith with an absolutely miserable hit, while the Afghans lose at least taking Finch and Smith’s wickets will be good for morale

Was just about to say. I know it's minor in the grand scheme of things but why not just tick along like they were happily doing. 

Think Afghanistan could surprise a few. Reckon they'll beat Sri Lanka on Monday.