talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Fourth Round Matches - 24-27th January, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber

Dreadful again - until we went behind then we actually started playing.

Results all that mattered today with that team out. Really missed Lo Celso and Alli from the start.  Lamela too 

Vertonghens legs have gone. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Results all that mattered today with that team out. Really missed Lo Celso and Alli from the start.  Lamela too 

He looked really down and disappointed to be brought off today. Something underlying or just based on today's performance?

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Stan said:

He looked really down and disappointed to be brought off today. Something underlying or just based on today's performance?

Not sure if he was injured, but think he just knows this is the beginning of the end for him at Spurs. Don’t think he’s getting a new deal, the ball in behind him catches him out so often now, needs to move to a slower league with a team that defends deeper imo 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Not sure if he was injured, but think he just knows this is the beginning of the end for him at Spurs. Don’t think he’s getting a new deal, the ball in behind him catches him out so often now, needs to move to a slower league with a team that defends deeper imo 

A move to Inter beckons then with their recent record of ex-PL players... 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

A move to Inter beckons then with their recent record of ex-PL players... 

Honestly I could see that. 

I would offer him a one year deal - but no more than that. 

42 minutes ago, Storts said:

What is the rumblings amongst the crowd like during the game? I can't imagine people are happy to watch this at the moment?

You were awful to watch tonight, awful. Very fortunate to win but for Saints not being clinical. Will say credit where it's due, a bit of spirit and fight when it mattered pulled you through.

But you have to wonder if this is how it's going to be or whether it's just like this for now under Jose.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Lucas said:

What is the rumblings amongst the crowd like during the game? I can't imagine people are happy to watch this at the moment?

You were awful to watch tonight, awful. Very fortunate to win but for Saints not being clinical. Will say credit where it's due, a bit of spirit and fight when it mattered pulled you through.

But you have to wonder if this is how it's going to be or whether it's just like this for now under Jose.

Hmmm, surprisingly good considering. Not happy but patient right now. Jose gets a free pass this season. He inherited an unbalanced squad, with injuries, toxic players and many weaknesses and I think he's doing a fairly good job as a result. Tonight we were so limited with options. Having no striker back up has killed us. And recruitment generally hasn't been good enough for the last few years.

However there's a bit of renewed optimism. Starting to get back to building a young hungry squad again, Bergwijn, Lo Celso, Gedson etc. they're 22. Tanganga coming through...and we got rid of Eriksen finally, got rid of Rose. I think we need to just get through this season and then reassess in the summer.

When we went 2-1 down, we started playing. Alli changed the game, Moura was good although I'm not a big fan, and Gedson impressed. We have the quality, it's just about finding the right set up now - and making sure we're not left in this ridiculous situation with no second forward if Kane is out. 

57 minutes ago, Storts said:

Hmmm, surprisingly good considering. Not happy but patient right now. Jose gets a free pass this season. He inherited an unbalanced squad, with injuries, toxic players and many weaknesses and I think he's doing a fairly good job as a result. Tonight we were so limited with options. Having no striker back up has killed us. And recruitment generally hasn't been good enough for the last few years.

However there's a bit of renewed optimism. Starting to get back to building a young hungry squad again, Bergwijn, Lo Celso, Gedson etc. they're 22. Tanganga coming through...and we got rid of Eriksen finally, got rid of Rose. I think we need to just get through this season and then reassess in the summer.

When we went 2-1 down, we started playing. Alli changed the game, Moura was good although I'm not a big fan, and Gedson impressed. We have the quality, it's just about finding the right set up now - and making sure we're not left in this ridiculous situation with no second forward if Kane is out. 

Fair's fair, missing Harry Kane is huge, especially with no like for like replacement so that will affect play.

Main thing is you are still in it, home game v Norwich next which should be a win and it's QF's, where it's anyone's in this new format.

Jose will be quietly thinking you got a shot at this cup.

How in hell did Spurs advance after that performance it's incredible. Similar performance to the City game before, am i the only one but Son wasn't touched? Var reviewed it and gave a penalty but from the angles that were shown there wasn't contact.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, True Blue said:

How in hell did Spurs advance after that performance it's incredible. Similar performance to the City game before, am i the only one but Son wasn't touched? Var reviewed it and gave a penalty but from the angles that were shown there wasn't contact.

Yeah looked to be minimal contact. I thought he was already falling then there's slightest touch on his thigh by Gunn's hand and he's down. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Gunn started. So they weren't at full strength then? How disrespectful to the competition

Yeah cos playing a relatively experienced back-up keeper in the PL is same as playing a squad full of reserves xD 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah cos playing a relatively experienced back-up keeper in the PL is same as playing a squad full of reserves xD 

Playing a keeper who is absolutely shite and conceded 9 in one game this season and hasn't played since isn't full strength though is it?

Are you really still going on about this disrespecting the competition rubbish even after Liverpool won? Klopp was right again. Who'd have thought it?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Fair doos. Need to get back in the game sometime I suppose. Then conceded a pen xD (although it was a fucking horrendous dive).

I really don't think it was. He was round the keeper and only had to tap it in, Gunn grabs his thigh, and when you're going at that speed it's hard to stay up. Just like those red card tackles you have to watch it in real time, and at full speed it's a blatant pen. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Playing a keeper who is absolutely shite and conceded 9 in one game this season and hasn't played since isn't full strength though is it?

Are you really still going on about this disrespecting the competition rubbish even after Liverpool won? Klopp was right again. Who'd have thought it?

Oh behave, stop being so sensitive. Klopp clearly disrespected the competition with that team, and his lack of appearance at the game. He got away with it because they won, but doesn't mean his actions don't speak very clearly about his opinion of the FA Cup.

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

First bit is odd logic considering most of that side in the 9-0 loss played yesterday and have also helped Southampton become one of the form teams in the league since that game.

Second bit - Michael brought it up again. I answered. You felt the need to answer even more :what:. I'll remind you that I think the disrespect was towards Shrewsbury if nothing else. I think there was disrespect from Klopp as well to bin it off himself even if first-team weren't there. Odd though how Tottenham, Southampton & Newcastle managers/players were able to play again with little fuss but Liverpool (Klopp) made a big fuss about it.

Anyway, not gonna say any more on the matter. This round is done and life does indeed go on. On to the next rounds :) 

9 minutes ago, Storts said:

I really don't think it was. He was round the keeper and only had to tap it in, Gunn grabs his thigh, and when you're going at that speed it's hard to stay up. Just like those red card tackles you have to watch it in real time, and at full speed it's a blatant pen. 

Get out xD.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Get out xD.

He grabs his thigh twice, running at that speed doesn't take much to get you over. As I said he had no reason to go down, wasn't like it was going away from goal, he just had to tap it in. It's a penalty, has always been a penalty, and always will be. 

Ignore the dramatic tweet and watch the video, clear contact, certainly enough to knock him off balance going through like that when he's already a bit off balance from shifting feet.

22 minutes ago, Storts said:

He grabs his thigh twice, running at that speed doesn't take much to get you over. As I said he had no reason to go down, wasn't like it was going away from goal, he just had to tap it in. It's a penalty, has always been a penalty, and always will be. 

Ignore the dramatic tweet and watch the video, clear contact, certainly enough to knock him off balance going through like that when he's already a bit off balance from shifting feet.

Being off balance going down already in my opinion. I genuinely think the games gone when that’s being given.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Being off balance going down already in my opinion. I genuinely think the games gone when that’s being given.

He’s clearly off balance from shifting the ball anyway, but he’s beyond the keeper and he grabs his leg twice, when he’s going to just tap it in. Genuinely can’t see the issue with it but each to their own. To me thats always been a pen. 

There is contact but not enough to bring him down is it?? Players these days are going to go down easily if there is even the slightest contact and that's the problem with the sport for me, players just take advantage and once the rule is in place you have no way to control it.. 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

There is contact but not enough to bring him down is it?? Players these days are going to go down easily if there is even the slightest contact and that's the problem with the sport for me, players just take advantage and once the rule is in place you have no way to control it.. 

I dunno honestly - when you’re at that speed and off balance it doesn’t really take much of a touch to bring you down. 

Your second point is definitely accurate but the problem is you see players fouled and if they don’t go down the refs don’t give it, so you can see why they do.

On this occasion though as I’ve said. Son doesn’t gain anything by going down, he was about to score

• The topic was unpinned

Archived