The Photography Thread

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Wildlife Photographer of the Year: Frenzied bee ball wins top prize

download.png

It's a manic moment as male cactus bees envelop a single female. But who in this amorous scrum will emerge lucky and get to mate with her?

This remarkable picture, captured by Karine Aigner, is the grand title winner in this year's Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.

On one level it's quite a technical image. It required the use of a macro probe lens to get in close to the very heart of the action.

"I had to spend quite a bit of time on my belly in the dirt," Karine joked.

The American is only the fifth woman to win the top prize in the 58-year history of WPY, as the competition is often called.

"It wasn't something I went looking for. I've been working on a ranch in South Texas for years, and I just happened on the location. I saw all these little 'volcanoes' in the ground - the individual burrows dug by the females to make their nests," she told BBC News.

VIDEO & FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

So... I successfully downsized my collection in recent months, was down to only two cameras (one digital, one film) and thought of keeping the film camera only, but today I came across something special in a local flea market and I just can't resist...

mizuho_cleanup.jpg

An ancient Mizuho-Six V rangefinder camera from 1952 in a pretty mint condition... 

So tempted.

Edited by nudge
  • Wow 1

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

So... I successfully downsized my collection in recent months, was down to only two cameras (one digital, one film) and thought of keeping the film camera only, but today I came across something special in a local flea market and I just can't resist...

mizuho_cleanup.jpg

An ancient Mizuho-Six V rangefinder camera from 1952 in a pretty mint condition... 

So tempted.

How much? That's a beauty. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

How much? That's a beauty. 

89$, just came in from Japan... Definitely a good price given the condition. And yes, I also think it's beautiful... I'm a sucker for vintage cameras, I don't think I will be able to resist 😅

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

89$, just came in from Japan... Definitely a good price given the condition. And yes, I also think it's beautiful... I'm a sucker for vintage cameras, I don't think I will be able to resist 😅

giphy.gif

That's a rare opportunity to own such a beautiful vintage camera in a good condition. Maybe you can bargain with them and lower the price a bit. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

giphy.gif

That's a rare opportunity to own such a beautiful vintage camera in a good condition. Maybe you can bargain with them and lower the price a bit. 

The price is ok, I'm just worried about having to move again; can't be arsed to carry all the stuff all around the world again... It was the main reason why I downsized in the first place 😅 But yeah, it's definitely very tempting. I'll go there again on Saturday and make my decision once I hold it in my hands :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

New AI tool colorizes black-and-white photos automatically [Updated] | Ars Technica

Wonders of AI and Photography

Palette - Colorize Photos

Give it a try with a B/W and see it for yourself.

Nice one @Mel81x, I dug up some old b&w family photos and colored them up. :congrats:

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

New AI tool colorizes black-and-white photos automatically [Updated] | Ars Technica

Wow, this is truly impressive. I took a quick snap of ca. 60 year old, worn-out, low-quality b&w photo with my phone, and uploaded it to the site. The results are incredible. Not only did it colourise the people in the photo right; the most impressive part is how accurately it recreated the colours in an extremely cluttered background - a Christmas tree, and old TV, floral wallpapers, etc. I'm well and truly stunned. 

Edited by nudge

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Just tested it with a childhood picture of my mom that she has on her facebook. Incredible. :o 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, nudge said:

Wow, this is truly impressive. I took a quick snap of ca. 60 year old, worn-out, low-quality b&w photo with my phone, and uploaded it to the site. The results are incredible. Not only did it colourise the people in the photo right; the most impressive part is how accurately it recreated the colours in an extremely cluttered background - a Christmas tree, and old TV, floral wallpapers, etc. I'm well and truly stunned. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just tested it with a childhood picture of my mom that she has on her facebook. Incredible. :o 

Cant wait for a media student to take an old B/W film, strip the frames out and use this + a workflow logic emulator to completely colorize an old film. That would be quite the sight. Or, let the AI loose and do its job I suppose.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Cant wait for a media student to take an old B/W film, strip the frames out and use this + a workflow logic emulator to completely colorize an old film. That would be quite the sight. Or, let the AI loose and do its job I suppose.

Even better, build an actual slide & negative scanner with this algorithm built-in for automatic, almost-instant colorisation right upon scanning. Film photography is making a comeback as it is already, this would be such a great tool. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Even better, build an actual slide & negative scanner with this algorithm built-in for automatic, almost-instant colorisation right upon scanning. Film photography is making a comeback as it is already, this would be such a great tool. 

You've got a startup idea. Now all we need is an electronics engineer and someone who can build one and we'll be millionaries haha

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You've got a startup idea. Now all we need is an electronics engineer and someone who can build one and we'll be millionaries haha

As a proof of concept, we could probably just take an existing film scanner and modify the software... Then hit the Dragons' Den xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

As a proof of concept, we could probably just take an existing film scanner and modify the software... Then hit the Dragons' Den xD 

Nah we dont need to go to them haha we'll let the real photography companies come to us. 

9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I can do memes for our social media. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

Nah we dont need to go to them haha we'll let the real photography companies come to us. 

Kodak is now looking for hundreds of new film technicians due to increased demand. Not too bad for a company that declared bankruptcy a decade ago... Guess we could pitch the idea to them. 

I personally have a soft spot for Ilford though, the idea would work well given their experience with B&W.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Kodak is now looking for hundreds of new film technicians due to increased demand. Not too bad for a company that declared bankruptcy a decade ago... Guess we could pitch the idea to them. 

I personally have a soft spot for Ilford though, the idea would work well given their experience with B&W.

Crazy how that market has swung indeed. I think there's room for a lot in the space considering the way AI is moving and its not just colorizing but restoration too. The amount of time a tech wastes in restoration could be cut in half with the way some of these algorithms are going.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Diving back into things as my interest had stagnated somewhat with my limited and dated gear. Upgraded from my D90 to a D7500. Sorting out some things with lenses but going to have a decent little setup for nature and landscape photography :)

On a side note my old man has offered me his Nikon F601 film camera to which he has two lenses both AF; a 28mm and a 70-210 f4-5.6. Will have some fun tinkering around with that as Ive never used film before. 

• Like 1