talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga 2019/20 - [29. Spieltag] - 29 May - 3rd June, 2020

football forum

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much has been said about Werner and Poulsen's strike partnership, but I actually prefer Werner and Schick upfront. Although Poulsen works his socks off, I think Schick offers more of a goal threat and he is technically superior to the Dane. All 3 are great strikers, but I actually prefer Werner partnered alongside the Czech forward.

• Administrator

Penalty to Koln!

Might have been a shade offside though. Klosterman looked like he got the ball but still tripped Modeste up.

VAR review, straight away it's overturned though.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

A very entertaining game!

Another away win to add to the trend since BL resumed xD 

Glad I stayed up for this one as it was very entertaining. Both sides attacked with purpose

In the end though, Leipzig were the better side and they deserve their win.

• Administrator

I do wonder if it would have turned out differently had Cordoba still been on the pitch. He looked quite lively in the short time he was on and perhaps, although he scored a beautiful goal, Modeste is easier to defend against. Cordoba seems more energetic compared to Modeste's languid play. 

Hope for Koln's sake Cordoba isn't out for too long.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

I do wonder if it would have turned out differently had Cordoba still been on the pitch. He looked quite lively in the short time he was on and perhaps, although he scored a beautiful goal, Modeste is easier to defend against. Cordoba seems more energetic compared to Modeste's languid play. 

Hope for Koln's sake Cordoba isn't out for too long.

Cordoba's departure during the match was certainly a loss for Koln, but I don't think that his presence would have necessarily changed the outcome of the game. RB Leipzig were the better side overall in my opinion and that's not taking anything away from Koln, because they played well themselves. At present, Cordoba is plausibly the better player than Modeste, but again, Modeste has actually been impactful himself for Koln since the resumption of the Bundesliga with 2 goals. He scored against Leipzig yesterday and he scored a key goal for Koln against Dusseldorf after coming off of the bench. 

Modeste has actually scored goals wherever he has gone during his career(except when he was on loan at relegation doomed Blackburn for half a season early in his career). In fact, Modeste scored 25 Bundesliga goals only 3 seasons ago in the 2017 season and he was among the leading scorers in the Bundesliga the season prior to that as well. So he is certainly a quality player in his own right, even though Cordoba has arguably been the main man at Koln this season.

Incidentally, I never found out what exactly happened to Modeste's case against the Chinese club Tianjin Tianhai. The Chinese club had paid Koln a total of almost €35 million for Modeste's services during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, but Modeste walked out on them in mid 2018 because he claimed that the Chinese club hadn't been paying all of his salary. He then re-signed for Koln in November 2017 for free! So I wonder what the conclusion of that case was? Modeste was only away from Koln in China for just over a year before they resigned him and they netted a profit of nearly €35 million from Tianjin during that period. It seemed like a win win case for Koln.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived