talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brian's Scouting Thread

football forum

One I've just learned about after a game of Kyiv's Under 19's (who post their games on Youtube) is Maxim Zavgorodniy. He's 17 years old, not sure if he's debuted yet but he turns 18 this year. Very interesting playmaker with really good off the ball movement and an intelligent mind. Great with his short passing and very composed on the ball.

I just looked him up on Sofascore and he doesn't look to be playing in the UEFA youth league, so he may have just had a good game in the one I saw, but I have good first impressions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/02/2018 at 10:02, Grizzly21 said:

I started a new section on my Twitter called lookout scout.

I'm basically balancing out the attributes a certain player is best at. I'll do that here as well but with a bit more info. Just 2 for now.

Julian Quiñonez (Lobos BUAP, on loan from Tigres)

20 year old Colombian striker who is really good in the air as you can see from the chart. He's more than just your typical target man. He's also decent at dribbling. His downside comes in the final third, where he can be a bit wasteful sometimes. Hence why I left the attacking percentage a bit low, but not TOO low to call him a "limited forward".

Tactical awareness is decent enough. He's good at getting into positions but not a world beater at it. He's also quite strong and that helps him in the air when he's trying to outstrength his opponent.

aff491a57106f1c8489de75b49980d90.png

Gabriele Zappa

This is the profile I uploaded on my twitter. He's an 18 year old Italian right back who plays for Inter Milan.

He's still only in the youth ranks but I've been impressed with what I saw so far. He has excellent ball control and great crossing. His attacking methods are different from what I decided to list on this pie graph (dribbling, finishing). Defensively he's average to good but not excellent. He doesn't perform too many sliding tackles.

He's also excellent tactically, as he overlaps all the time and does well to track back and defend.

DVW-2igXUAIN9ih.jpg:large

Update on this in a "where are they now".

Julian is currently doing well for Tigres, scoring a lot so I think he could be a good shout in the end. Gabriele Zappa on the other hand is on Italy's U20 squad and will likely play in the U20 World Cup.

• 8 months later...
On 05/03/2019 at 05:35, Smiley Culture said:

In case anyone is wondering where this players are at 18 or so months later;

Valverde (Real) - 8 appearances in total, one starting appearance. 

Orsolini (Bologna) - 23 appearances, eight starts, two goals, three assists.

Farinez (Millionarios) - 8 games in 2019 thus far. 

Siucho (Guangzhou Everglade) - Joined them in January this year. 

No big move for Farinez, though he’s still 21 so that’s not a big issue and there may be work permit reasons why he’s not moved to Europe. Valverde has recently got into the Real team, mostly from the bench, so not a bad shout I suppose. Orsolini seems to be doing okay for Bologna on loan from Juve. Siucho has moved to China, so probably not the move expected. 

An update on these 4.

Valverde is slowly but surely becoming a star for Real Madrid's first team. This one was my best shout on the forum so far.

Orsolini has 5 goals and 5 assists for Bologna. Not a world beater of a club but decent stats all in all.

Fariñez is still at Millonarios.

Siucho is still in China I think, though he's disappeared off the face of the earth for me.

On 25/04/2017 at 12:40, Storts said:

Yes - thought Lujan was awful. Really impressed by Chavez however

Storts has nailed this one. Last season, Lujan was an average defender, not bad but not great. Gianfranco Chavez on the other hand, was the best CB in the Peruvian league in what went of 2019 and I expect a move abroad for him soon.

• 4 months later...

*note to staff*

Please do not merge this with the old thread. I would prefer you don't anyways, I want a fresh start and a whole new format to this.

Anyways, welcome to my new scouting thread. As I'm watching football again (and how its starting up everywhere) I figured I'd do my favourite thing in the sport and that is scouting.

Here's a few names I'll try to cover soon.

Johan Mina

Son Min-Kyu

Oslimg Mora

Gianfranco Chavez

Noah Botic

Feel free to send in some requests. I don't know everyone (especially not in Europe) but I can try and answer the best I can.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

How many scouting threads do you plan to have xDxD?!

I've had many, but it's usually because I lose the previous one. In this case, I rather just have a fresher start :) 

Oslimg Mora

I've talked about this lad many times. I've been closely following him more than any other player since 2017 and he just keeps getting better by year. I expect once the football comes back in Peru, Mario Salas is going to get the best of him.

An athletic right winger who proved that he can also be a competent wing back. He's mostly athletic but also has really good on the floor technique. Jury is still out on his professional mentality, but so far so good.

303075952eeb6ced51fbcbded0d63a21.png

I rewatched Incheon United 1-4 Pohang Steelers and Song Min-Kyu is very promising. He was playing consistent 1-2's, showed really good technique and helped set up the 3rd goal as well as score the 4th. I need to watch more before giving a more detailed opinion but those are my early impressions.

Saw a bit more of Song Min-Kyu. I'm more convinced he's the absolute dog bollocks. He has really quick feet and a very technical passing ability from the wing. I still have to watch more but these first 2 games have been very promising.

Here's a video on him.

• The title was changed to Brian's Scouting Thread
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

@Inti Brian you should study sporting sciences and do a Marcelo Biesla.

I even have his condition no? xD

It's a good idea which I have considered before but I'm still waiting on things to decide what I eventually want.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I even have his condition no? xD

It's a good idea which I have considered before but I'm still waiting on things to decide what I eventually want.

Stop waiting and do.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What's the methodology you're using to assign these values to people's attributes?

What do you mean?

If you're talking about the scouting sheet, that's actually a copied format made public by a PSV scout that did a report on Ronaldinho when he was still at Gremio. A friend passed it on to me and we modernized it.

Here it is.

5a992c098f2d92376d5a4654d03b2941.png

12 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What do you mean?

If you're talking about the scouting sheet, that's actually a copied format made public by a PSV scout that did a report on Ronaldinho when he was still at Gremio. A friend passed it on to me and we modernized it.

Here it is.

5a992c098f2d92376d5a4654d03b2941.png

Like how do you decide what makes someone a 8 in something or a 7?

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Like how do you decide what makes someone a 8 in something or a 7?

It's out of 10.

As for what it is adjacent to, in the original scout report by the dutchmen I'd imagine it would have related to what he would fit in at PSV. Since I'm just doing this for fun at the moment, I'm doing it in adjacent to his league. It's kind of a difficult parallel to draw though. For the example above, Mora I think is very good for his league. And I also mix personal judgements with some facts to back me up.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

It's out of 10.

As for what it is adjacent to, in the original scout report by the dutchmen I'd imagine it would have related to what he would fit in at PSV. Since I'm just doing this for fun at the moment, I'm doing it in adjacent to his league. It's kind of a difficult parallel to draw though. For the example above, Mora I think is very good for his league. And I also mix personal judgements with some facts to back me up.

Yeah I figured it was out of 10. It just seems a bit... arbitrary, if you know what I mean? Like if it's based on the best player you've ever seen, theoretically your baseline for a 1 (or 0) or a 10 could change as you see a player that's very shit or very good xD

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I figured it was out of 10. It just seems a bit... arbitrary, if you know what I mean? Like if it's based on the best player you've ever seen, theoretically your baseline for a 1 (or 0) or a 10 could change as you see a player that's very shit or very good xD

To do it adjacent to the world would be a bit counter productive in my opinion, because the stats listed above could be Messi's and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So I figured league would make it more respectable.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

To do it adjacent to the world would be a bit counter productive in my opinion, because the stats listed above could be Messi's and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So I figured league would make it more respectable.

Yeah but I think he means that if you give someone an 8 for something and then the next day you see someone miles better and you also give him an 8, would you then go back and change the first guys 8 to be lower?

17 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Yeah but I think he means that if you give someone an 8 for something and then the next day you see someone miles better and you also give him an 8, would you then go back and change the first guys 8 to be lower?

That's why I'm doing it adjacent to the league. 

I can see where you're going at but this first player I've been following for years. Since he was 16. So it's not a rash judgement. I'm sure this will be cleared over time of doing other reports.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I can see where you're going at but this first player I've been following for years. Since he was 16. So it's not a rash judgement. I'm sure this will be cleared over time of doing other reports.

Won't it just be a sliding scale though? The more players you look at means you're going to have to go back to all players previously and constantly comparing a huge amount of players?

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Won't it just be a sliding scale though? The more players you look at means you're going to have to go back to all players previously and constantly comparing a huge amount of players?

In a certain league it might be. To be honest I’m just following the format Piet de Visser made at PSV. It’s a format I’m developing (in change better said) I’ll definitely change it if at some point it feels like that.

Anyways I really hope we’re talking about the same issue here, I’m not entirely sure! xD

Archived