talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 6-2 Leeds - Sunday 20th December, 2020

football forums

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Leeds love in from the media is nauseating. They’re not a lot more than a newly promoted club trying to play expansive football regardless of their opponents ability, others have tried it so they’re not exactly visionaries but they’re still getting credit for it. It’s essentially what Norwich tried to do last season, though Leeds have a better squad than Norwich did. They’d be in danger if there wasn’t some horrific teams about. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

The Leeds love in from the media is nauseating. They’re not a lot more than a newly promoted club trying to play expansive football regardless of their opponents ability, others have tried it so they’re not exactly visionaries but they’re still getting credit for it. It’s essentially what Norwich tried to do last season, though Leeds have a better squad than Norwich did. They’d be in danger if there wasn’t some horrific teams about. 

Like Norwich?

We are nothing like Norwich

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

You lost me at Norwich.

21pts they got last season. We have 17pts from 14 games. 

Not sure why people feel the need to be so critical, I mean we could all aspire to be Burnley and Stoke but no one, literally no one, cares about them.

Are aim is to stay up. That's what we have to do. And whilst we've shown plenty of naivety so far which deserves criticism in some places, it's our first season up in 17 years.

We're doing things how we want to do them, rightly or wrongly, like no other team would dare try. I hate losing by a goal, let alone 4 or 5, but how can I criticise when we go and win 3-0 or 5-2 another week? It's a massive learning curve this season, we just need to stay up and hopefully we will judging by what's around us.

If people don't like it, don't watch our games. Simple.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You lost me at Norwich.

But then again, we could all aspire to be Burnley and Stoke.

Im glad you chose your last two examples carefully.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 6-2 Leeds - Sunday 20th December, 2020

I think the most irritating thing about the Leeds media is that they’re like some indie band, ‘actually guys, we don’t want to be popular just unique’...well they’re not really. Some have done ok, some not so. I think Leeds are lucky this season is so mad because their weaknesses are quite obvious.

Especially for anyone who has drunk in and around Beeston Hill, Leeds fans trying to act as if they’re really into philosophical football is just laughable. Violence and racism is Leeds United.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

I don't have a problem with Leeds or how they play. I think what most people are commenting on, and fairly, is the way the media will pat them on the head for playing into the hands of a better team and getting battered but they'll hardly give the time of day to a Burnley or a Stoke if they get results or at least don't get slaughtered by being well-drilled and organised which is unfair because the way they play, while it makes for less exciting games, is an art in itself.

It's nothing against Leeds at all. They did the same thing with Norwich last season, called them 'refreshing' and patted them on the head when they lost 14-0 to Liverpool on the first day of the season. A better comparison, though, would be Bournemouth, who still got praised for 'having a go' after their 7th consecutive 6-0 loss at the Etihad when in actual fact what they were doing was just idiotic. 

Leeds don't deserve the same criticism as those sides did because it is their first season back in the top flight. It's the pundits and the media that most people have a gripe with, I believe. That's certainly where I was coming from at least.

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You lost me at Norwich.

Not sure why people feel the need to be so critical, I mean we could all aspire to be Burnley and Stoke but no one, literally no one, cares about them.

Are aim is to stay up. That's what we have to do. And whilst we've shown plenty of naivety so far which deserves criticism in some places, it's our first season up in 17 years.

We're doing things how we want to do them, rightly or wrongly, like no other team would dare try. I hate losing by a goal, let alone 4 or 5, but how can I criticise when we go and win 3-0 or 5-2 another week? It's a massive learning curve this season, we just need to stay up and hopefully we will judging by what's around us.

If people don't like it, don't watch our games. Simple.

You’re very much playing as Norwich were last season for much of the season. They tried to play expansively regardless of the opponent and were slaughtered more often than not. It wasn’t admirable, it was stupid. Much like some of Leeds’ performances and approaches to games. Maybe Bournemouth would have been a better example. Flavour of the month manager and a complete disregard for defending for years on end but for the majority of that time, Howe was the Messiah, was going to manage England or Arsenal and we all had to admire this Bournemouth side.

It’s annoying how the media pander to Bielsa but won’t dare call him out for crap tactics. 

21 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't have a problem with Leeds or how they play. I think what most people are commenting on, and fairly, is the way the media will pat them on the head for playing into the hands of a better team and getting battered but they'll hardly give the time of day to a Burnley or a Stoke if they get results or at least don't get slaughtered by being well-drilled and organised which is unfair because the way they play, while it makes for less exciting games, is an art in itself.

It's nothing against Leeds at all. They did the same thing with Norwich last season, called them 'refreshing' and patted them on the head when they lost 14-0 to Liverpool on the first day of the season. A better comparison, though, would be Bournemouth, who still got praised for 'having a go' after their 7th consecutive 6-0 loss at the Etihad when in actual fact what they were doing was just idiotic. 

Leeds don't deserve the same criticism as those sides did because it is their first season back in the top flight. It's the pundits and the media that most people have a gripe with, I believe. That's certainly where I was coming from at least.

If you are directing it more at the media, then fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe it is rammed down people's throats a bit too much, perhaps if it wasn't my own side I'd comment differenrly but we can't control that. It's out our hands how they build us up.

I can only say that I think the reason we get those comments is because our style of play is completely unique and it is, no one plays that way at all, and usually newly promoted sides revert to type. With us, it's been different and refreshing because we can hurt teams.

I feel when someone as highly critical and miserable as Roy Keane is saying hang on, fair play i love watching them play and they are doing well at this stage, it probably carries a fair bit of weight.

Maybe pundits should be harsher with us, criticise us more but I think they are giving us the benefit of the doubt as it's our first season. If we're still here in three years time and haven't really evolved, I'd certainly be very critical.

36 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You’re very much playing as Norwich were last season for much of the season. They tried to play expansively regardless of the opponent and were slaughtered more often than not. It wasn’t admirable, it was stupid. Much like some of Leeds’ performances and approaches to games. Maybe Bournemouth would have been a better example. Flavour of the month manager and a complete disregard for defending for years on end but for the majority of that time, Howe was the Messiah, was going to manage England or Arsenal and we all had to admire this Bournemouth side.

It’s annoying how the media pander to Bielsa but won’t dare call him out for crap tactics. 

Norwich played attractive football but they play nothing like us. It was silly to ever mention them. As soon as Pukki dried up, they were done. 

We've played 14 Premier League games. Bournemouth had seasons of doing that. How can you compare us when we've only been up here 5 minutes? Give us a chance. 17pts is a solid return so far, it could and should have been more.

You can be as critical of our team as you like, you're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else. Maybe we are naive taking the game to teams the way we do. I've never not said that.

But I'm not criticising them on their first season up, not when I praise them for winning 3-0 or 5-2 another week.

I've had three seasons watching this team under Bielsa after years of terrible football, and I can hand on heart say for the best part, I've loved most of it. We're extremely lucky to have him.

We can't get away with as much up here playing this way but I just cannot berate them when by and large, they are Championship players who are attempting to step up to the highest level that none of them have played at before and attempt to play a way they believe in.

But for poor concentration and discipline, we'd have eradicated a fair amount of those goals but it's still a learning curve. We've only played 14 games and not once have we had the privilege to field our first choice eleven due to injuries yet. We will get better.

The glass is not always half empty.

The difference between Leeds and Norwich is Leeds are a slugfest, back and forwards. Norwich ended up looking like a team who constantly took a pummelling. And let’s be honest some of the football Leeds are playing is beyond a side like Norwich, even Bournemouth at times. Some of the one touch stuff, the distance crossing that is pin-point....this team have quality in them, something you wouldn’t say for a side like Sheffield United experiencing that second season slump. Their issue is that away from that quality they’re Championship standard. Bielsa is playing the football that took them up and whilst there will be bumps on the way I think Leeds will be fine. If they stay up they will definitely need to bring in players who can play at this level.

Just going back to Bournemouth, they never played football like this. They played quick, incisive counter attacks a lot but not this man for man, one touch stuff Leeds are knocking about. If Leeds improve their personnel they can improve their general play, Bournemouth never seemed like they would get much further than they did....and Bournemouth spent money

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

Norwich played attractive football but they play nothing like us. It was silly to ever mention them. As soon as Pukki dried up, they were done. 

We've played 14 Premier League games. Bournemouth had seasons of doing that. How can you compare us when we've only been up here 5 minutes? Give us a chance. 17pts is a solid return so far, it could and should have been more.

You can be as critical of our team as you like, you're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else. Maybe we are naive taking the game to teams the way we do. I've never not said that.

But I'm not criticising them on their first season up, not when I praise them for winning 3-0 or 5-2 another week.

I've had three seasons watching this team under Bielsa after years of terrible football, and I can hand on heart say for the best part, I've loved most of it. We're extremely lucky to have him.

We can't get away with as much up here playing this way but I just cannot berate them when by and large, they are Championship players who are attempting to step up to the highest level that none of them have played at before and attempt to play a way they believe in.

But for poor concentration and discipline, we'd have eradicated a fair amount of those goals but it's still a learning curve. We've only played 14 games and not once have we had the privilege to field our first choice eleven due to injuries yet. We will get better.

The glass is not always half empty.

I’ve never said Leeds and Norwich play the same style of football. More that Leeds are taking the same stubborn and frankly stupid stance on employing the tactic they use week in, week out regardless of the opposition. 

You of course can make observations that Leeds are reminiscent of other clubs regardless of how many games they’ve played. 

Brace yourselves. They've got 2 good fixtures coming up which they should win.

Part of the problem is that Leeds thumped a clueless Newcastle earlier. If you take that out look at their form. It seems the majority of the time anyone worth their salt will beat them. The likes of Newcastle, Fulham and Sheffield United just aren't up to it. There'll be enough other teams who are either lacking in personnel or have a clueless manager who will get beat by Leeds for them to stay up comfortably.

Archived