• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Referees

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Scouse_Mouse said:

What part Stan? That refs should be doing a lot better?

The bit in bold.

'whereas anyone can be a referee if you are reasonably fit'.

Just now, Stan said:

The bit in bold.

'whereas anyone can be a referee if you are reasonably fit'.

Sorry, new to this:). How do you mean? If you are young enough and in good physical shape and obviously capable of reading and understanding the rules then you can referee.

Or am I missing something here?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Sorry, new to this:). How do you mean? If you are young enough and in good physical shape and obviously capable of reading and understanding the rules then you can referee.

Or am I missing something here?

Basically just saying it takes more than just being fit to be a referee :). A lot more.

Just now, Stan said:

Basically just saying it takes more than just being fit to be a referee :). A lot more.

What more exactly? I understand that not every ref is going to become a professional ref but it isn't that difficult to initially become one.

I did it years ago, I blew my knee out and decided to get my refereeing certification, it wasnt that hard.

6 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

What more exactly? I understand that not every ref is going to become a professional ref but it isn't that difficult to initially become one.

I did it years ago, I blew my knee out and decided to get my refereeing certification, it wasnt that hard.

The ability to analyse and interpret decisions in quick time, under pressure, is a skill many don't possess or it takes years to. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Balls of fucking steel for starters :D.

Decisiveness, authority, assertiveness, ability to work under pressure, analytical skills (in quick time!). It's not something you can just walk in to just because you're reasonably fit even at a young age. A lot of those skills do take time to perfect but it's good to have some level to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Balls of fucking steel for starters :D.

Decisiveness, authority, assertiveness, ability to work under pressure, analytical skills (in quick time!). It's not something you can just walk in to just because you're reasonably fit even at a young age. A lot of those skills do take time to perfect but it's good to have some level to begin with.

Dunno about "balls of steel" I've seen top flight refs that looked like they might burst into tears at any minute.:D

Maybe Im oversimplifying things? Im just trying to say that not everyone can become a pro footballer (I could have trained 10 hours a day but id never be more than a pub league player) but I could have risen in the ranks of refereeing if id had the dedication to stick at it.

1 hour ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Of course they don't get paid as much as footballers and quite rightly so. No matter how hard you try you will never be a professional footballer (or a good one at any rate) if you don't have the talent, whereas anyone can be a ref if you are reasonably fit.

Refs pay is still good though.

As Ive said, a ref not that long ago, we cut them some slack, they were semi pro and had daytime jobs, they didn't have the benefit of multiple replays, slow motion, lines drawn etc.

Its not an "easy job"  but it isn't a hard job and with the benefit of VAR they should be doing a helluva lot better.

Literally just conjecture backed up by nothing. There is no better you are referring to because you have no reference point that is tangible to decide what is better.

23 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Dunno about "balls of steel" I've seen top flight refs that looked like they might burst into tears at any minute.:D

Maybe Im oversimplifying things? Im just trying to say that not everyone can become a pro footballer (I could have trained 10 hours a day but id never be more than a pub league player) but I could have risen in the ranks of refereeing if id had the dedication to stick at it.

So you couldn’t have been a ref then because you lack the mentality for it

56 minutes ago, Danny said:

So you couldn’t have been a ref then because you lack the mentality for it

Not sure mentality is the right word, I didn't have the desire, patience or inclination to devote to refereeing in order to dedicate enough time to something that id only taken up to pass time during a lengthly recovery on crutches. 

Im sure some do, especially now that its a well paid job.

I just think that refs today _should_ be better now they have the benefit of VAR, unfortunately I haven't seen any noticeable improvement:what:

Did anyone see Clattenburg admit he was biased towards Man Utd and many other refs at the time were too...

... and now he’s walking it back saying he didn’t fix matches for the team he liked, it was just “Fergie’s aura” making him biased xD

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did anyone see Clattenburg admit he was biased towards Man Utd and many other refs at the time were too...

... and now he’s walking it back saying he didn’t fix matches for the team he liked, it was just “Fergie’s aura” making him biased xD

Yeah whether anyone liked him when he was a ref or not (I personally thought he was alright, one of the better ones at the time), his comments really don't cast a good light on his/that era or any refs now. 

Probably done more damage than good, especially since referees are scrutinised to the nth degree as it is.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah whether anyone liked him when he was a ref or not (I personally thought he was alright, one of the better ones at the time), his comments really don't cast a good light on his/that era or any refs now. 

Probably done more damage than good, especially since referees are scrutinised to the nth degree as it is.

I thought he was a decent ref but now that he writes columns he’s made it pretty clear he was never really all that into refereeing and was more into being on TV cameras.

Funny seeing him try (and fail) to walk it back though xD

Worst ref from that era is now in charge of all of the referees in England - so I guess I can’t be surprised at the state of officiating

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought he was a decent ref but now that he writes columns he’s made it pretty clear he was never really all that into refereeing and was more into being on TV cameras.

Funny seeing him try (and fail) to walk it back though xD

Worst ref from that era is now in charge of all of the referees in England - so I guess I can’t be surprised at the state of officiating

Yeah the PGMOL hierarchy is worrying considering the amount of things that have gone wrong. Needs a change.

Clattenburg's comments after that Chelsea Spurs game in 2016 also brought about some conspiracies and controversy...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42219327

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah the PGMOL hierarchy is worrying considering the amount of things that have gone wrong. Needs a change.

Clattenburg's comments after that Chelsea Spurs game in 2016 also brought about some conspiracies and controversy...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42219327

Yeah I remember that! Imagine doing that in any other job...

”Yeah I intentionally did a shit job at work because people might get upset if I did a good job.” xD

17 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I met Paul Tierney and David Coote in an irish bar in Kyoto in 2014. Should I have let them leave?

Tierney came across as super arrogant. Coote was lovely. 

You should have told them to retire. Especially Coote.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well this is shit. Obviously critique them or be opinionated about them. But sending death threats to him and his family? Dick move. 

It’s getting fucking pathetic now. It might mean less to me because I’m a neutral these days but it’s a game of Football. It’s not that important and certainly not validating the racial abuse players have suffered or this, that Mike Dean has copped. 

If football is making people this angry and unsavoury, I don’t think it’s for them. 

On 16/01/2021 at 08:59, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't remember any bias towards United during Fergie's time.  I think it was just that Fergie was so admired, respected and had such a wealth of football knowledge that when he suggested that there should be 6 minutes of extra time or that should be an United penalty, the referees being mere mortals accepted the great one's advice.😇

At this point, death threats/racist remarks will forever be case until technology is advanced enough where these people can be identified within a matter of seconds and punished. 

Far too easy for someone to create a quick random account, post racial abuse, and then log off it forever. 

Archived